Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Austin in September and looking at where to live. She will be working 2 days a week in Bastrop and 2 days a week in San Marcos, so trying to find a neighborhood that would be somewhat central to both.

We also would like to build a custom home, as we have done where we live now, and are looking for lots. So far we have seen Overlook Estates which is somewhat new neighborhood (but 40 minutes from San Marcos, 50 from Bastrop). Also I have looked at some semi-custom/spec homes near Shady Hollow area, which is close to San Marcos, about the same from Bastrop. The only area that seems would be equidistant and closer to Bastrop (outside of moving to Bastrop) is a little East of the city, Mueller is one neighborhood we have looked at. I like Mueller, but the houses are on top of each other it seemed.

My budget ranges from mid 300's to 700. Any recommendations are neighborhoods that we should look at? Any east of the city/just north of the river (seems to be best for Bastrop commute).

Really appreciate your comments/help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
I really don't think you want to build a $300-700K home in the areas east of the city, north of the river.

What didn't you like about Overlook or Shady Hollow? Trying to cut the Bastrop commute? I don't think you are going to do much better in a place that you'd want to live. One other place I'd look is Rim Rock, off 1826 near Driftwood. She can go through Buda to either - S on 35 to San Marcos, or E on the toll road to 71 to Bastrop - about an hour, little to no traffic.

Anyway, welcome. Let us know how we can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin