Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,399 times

Advertisements

[quote=jobert;19108286]The same thing happens on the northside - once you go north of Koenig, the area becomes more run down with more crime until you reach Parmer lane.
quote]

I'd move the Koenig line up to Anderson -- but there is a nice neighborhood north of Anderson and west of Burnet. I think Wooten is still sketchy though. Crestview doesn't seem run down and crime-ridden to me.

I think the areas just south of Ben White are improving too. I know a lot of families that live down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,950,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is a shame that the North Austin versus South Austin across-the-river tug of war has not continued to be an annual event.
Those were fun times. But back then, there was a strong dilineation between Bubbaland south of the river and all the new growth north. Now to me, it all just blends together. Hell, at one time, you actually had to drive out of the city to get to Round Rock and Cedar Park - now they are just extensions of N and NW Austin.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post

I'd move the Koenig line up to Anderson -- but there is a nice neighborhood north of Anderson and west of Burnet. I think Wooten is still sketchy though. Crestview doesn't seem run down and crime-ridden to me.

I think the areas just south of Ben White are improving too. I know a lot of families that live down there.
The neighborhoods hugging Mopac are a lot better than those near Lamar. In my experience, everything north of the Triangle goes down hill rather quickly.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,399 times
I bet all the hoods south of 183 in North Central become gentrified and nice eventually. I watched it happen in Atlanta -- hoods that were full of crack houses and boarded windows turn over into nice updated homes. The proximity to downtown can't be beat as cities grow bigger. People hate commuting and paying high gas prices.

I'm too old to be an urban pioneer (been there, done that) so I'm looking for a house in a Mopac hugging hood. If I could afford it, I'd live in Barton Hills to be close to downtown and Zilker -- and access to good public schools (if they don't shut them down with budget cut issues).

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I bet all the hoods south of 183 in North Central become gentrified and nice eventually. I watched it happen in Atlanta -- hoods that were full of crack houses and boarded windows turn over into nice updated homes. The proximity to downtown can't be beat as cities grow bigger. People hate commuting and paying high gas prices.

I'm too old to be an urban pioneer (been there, done that) so I'm looking for a house in a Mopac hugging hood. If I could afford it, I'd live in Barton Hills to be close to downtown and Zilker -- and access to good public schools (if they don't shut them down with budget cut issues).
I could see that. The shutting down and repurposing of Highland Mall needs to happen and sooner rather than later. On the south side (78745), it going to take urbanites or developers to come in and flip or tear down about 80% of the stock.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM

171 posts, read 423,285 times
If you like to live by other peoples' estimation of what's 'cool', then South Austin.

If you really do like to follow your own path, then you wouldn't be asking on a public forum, would you?

(For what it's worth, I live in Cedar Park. People are very nice and friendly here.)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,336,678 times
Depends on what you mean by 'north' and 'south'. Everything that sits between 183/35/360/290 is considered central and is pretty much the same. What lies outside of that band is where you get differences...is there really a difference between Round Rock/Leander/Pflugerville/Kyle/Buda/Dripping Springs? In my book, no. They tend to be more conservative, more rural, more laid back. The exception is West, outside of 360, which is what I would consider 'Californicated'.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,440,233 times
South. Used to live North and hated it. It's too crowded. Southwest Austin is close to the city. The new Alamo Drafthouse and Whole Foods are coming. North Austin is uninteresting. SW Austin is the beginning of the Hill Country and is more appealing to the eye. But, the house prices are more than north Austin so be prepared.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM

732 posts, read 2,128,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
South. Used to live North and hated it. It's too crowded. Southwest Austin is close to the city. The new Alamo Drafthouse and Whole Foods are coming. North Austin is uninteresting. SW Austin is the beginning of the Hill Country and is more appealing to the eye. But, the house prices are more than north Austin so be prepared.
It's interesting... I lived in south Austin and hated it because it was too crowded now I live NW and hate it less.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM

238 posts, read 365,548 times
I didn't read the entire thread but my vote is South. I lived North for a year and I hated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin