Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,879 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm hoping that an Austinite might be able to help me with some information. My husband and I are considering a move to the Austin area next year. We currently live in just north of SA (just two miles from the Bexar-Guadalupe county line.)

My husband works close to the SA central business district, but I will be going to UT, so we want to find a home in a location that won't make for such a horrible commute. After dozens of trips up and down 35, we realize that the traffic on the Austin side is much worse than it is in SA. He doesn't mind having a long commute, but I absolutely hate to drive!

We're pretty familiar with the communities in Guadalupe and Comal counties (New Braunfels, Schertz, Cibolo, etc) but can anyone provide me with an honest opinion of Kyle, Buda, and the south Austin area? (It's hard to get a guage of the area when you're just driving around and the only opinion you have is from a guy trying to sell you a house! ) We'd like to stay in close proximity to 35, but we *hate* large subdivisions with houses on top of houses. Does anyone know of any nice areas where we can find a home in the 200-250k range? I'd prefer a new home, but an older home in a nice neighborhood would suffice. Schools aren't a factor right now, but they will be in the future. I'd appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
I have spent quite a bit of time in Buda, and it is a very nice little town. I can't give specifics, though, not having lived there. It is a small town with somewhat limited access to Austin (I-35 is the only real choice right now), so it has not exploded like Round Rock (to the North) has. It does have some small town politics issues (or has in the past), but nothing terrible. Some people want it to grow and make them tons of money, others want it to stay just the same.

Hays Consolidated school district covers this area, and I think it is a respectable district, if not outstanding.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM

92 posts, read 674,048 times
Have you looked into Dripping Springs? (Overlaps southern Travis county w/Hays county)
Lotsa nice homes there....booming like crazy, but I've seen subdivisions with very large lots, in which you can't even see your neighbors.
Main concern there would be: do your water homework...lotsa folks there depend upon their own wells, and water table is dropping, wells are running dry, and pumps are burning up. Some very nice homes there, and more being built all the time. Schools: Dr. Spgs has a VERY good reputation, unlke Austin ISD
I'd personally consider it....also look at a map to see best way to get to S.A....might even go 280 to 281 south...times I've travelled that way, traffic is much better than the often atrocious I-35!
Just a thought.

Hi. I'm hoping that an Austinite might be able to help me with some information. My husband and I are considering a move to the Austin area next year. We currently live in just north of SA (just two miles from the Bexar-Guadalupe county line.)

My husband works close to the SA central business district, but I will be going to UT, so we want to find a home in a location that won't make for such a horrible commute. After dozens of trips up and down 35, we realize that the traffic on the Austin side is much worse than it is in SA. He doesn't mind having a long commute, but I absolutely hate to drive!

We're pretty familiar with the communities in Guadalupe and Comal counties (New Braunfels, Schertz, Cibolo, etc) but can anyone provide me with an honest opinion of Kyle, Buda, and the south Austin area? (It's hard to get a guage of the area when you're just driving around and the only opinion you have is from a guy trying to sell you a house! ) We'd like to stay in close proximity to 35, but we *hate* large subdivisions with houses on top of houses. Does anyone know of any nice areas where we can find a home in the 200-250k range? I'd prefer a new home, but an older home in a nice neighborhood would suffice. Schools aren't a factor right now, but they will be in the future. I'd appreciate any info. [/quote]

Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,879 times
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

I'll look into Dripping Springs.
I'd seen it on the maps before, but hadn't given it much thought.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 AM

28 posts, read 133,841 times
Sorry to bump an old thread up. We are looking for a house with the same criteria...300-350k, large lot with large back yard, trees are a must. We used to lived in Circle C N before moving to Seattle 5 years ago. I'll be commuting to S.Antonio and my wife's commute will be to Oltorf/I35.

Checked out Circle C Ranch, while we liked the feel of the community..most of the homes are dated since it was built in the early 90s. We liked the upgraded look of the new homes, ie..new appliances, tile, wood, etc. My question, are there any subdivisions going out to 290 W? I was thinking taking 290W, then 281S to commute to SA. I work near the UTSAHS so commuting is about 50miles? Planning to commute 2-3 times a week so I don't think it will be that bad. We have 2 young children so school district is important as well.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin