Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't eat BBQ very often either. I do like the BBQ in KC though. Why are we talking about unhealthy food like BBQ in a forum dedicated to the healthy, lean, city of Austin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I agree with you on many things but I wish I could take away one of the reps I have given you for this.

Really though, I think preference seems to go to if you like more of a sauce or smokey flavor. I don't like any sauce on my BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times
That's funny Arsty because the city of Austin's media marketing campaign specifically states than Austin is nothing like Texas. It claims that Austin is "an island" amongst itself. OMG, the LIES !!!! Wait, did they forget that Austin IS the capital of Texas??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I didn't think anything stood out as special in Austin especially not their food or BBQ.

I'm glad I left Austin because it's way too Texan and too self-absorbed for me. Too much drama and bickering with everyone and not enough happy people: a lot of people saying they love it there but they hate it: makes for utter complete confusion.

I'm glad I left behind the atrocious customer service. I've never seen customer service that clueless, that disorganized, and that enfeebled ever.

I like large cosmopolitan cities where you can get all of your needs met without any hassles or dirty looks.

What do I miss about Austin?

Some of their festivals are cool. Namely Viva La Vida.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
I used to commute from Fairfield to NYC on the train every day

I don't any train that goes "directly" to any stadium.
Yankees/Mets both require a most annoying subway run,
on top of the train ride to Grand Central
Congratulations. Why do people correct me on things they don't know about?

MNR Yankee Stadium

Quote:
I can easily make to Houston, Dallas and San Antonio in
under 3 hours
According to Google Maps:
Austin - Dallas: 3 Hours 32 Minutes
Austin - Houston: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
Austin - San Antonio: 1 Hour 24 Minutes

The only one under three hours is Austin - SA. I've made all three drives many times. I don't know what point you are trying to make here... I said
CT has more pro teams within a couple hours.... I don't think you've refuted that.

Quote:
Both Texas and New York had a Much higher attachment
to their home state teams than CT.
My opinion differs.

Quote:
Totally amazed at Austins Attachment to the Longhorns.
On game day the tail gate partys are in parking lots even
miles from the stadium. Half the town is in the Burnt Orange
"Hook em Horns"
I agree. Longhorn fans are fanatical. However there are about 8 home games a year. Not many opportunities. My points were regarding pro sports-- not big time college sports. I am not a football fan.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM

242 posts, read 493,765 times
Quote:
You've never been to Austin, have you?
Many times.

Yes, longhorn references are everywhere (even my wife has a few articles of clothing), but it is easy to avoid the fanatism. I can get through Superbowl weekend without even remembering the game is on. Best time to shop at Ikea!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM

370 posts, read 999,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Congratulations. Why do people correct me on things they don't know about?

MNR Yankee Stadium
That is relatively new.
The New Haven Line doesn't go there though.

That station is where an off-shoot of the Hunts Point Market was.
That was a disgusting part of town. Was Hooker alley on off game night.

Quote:
According to Google Maps:
Austin - Dallas: 3 Hours 32 Minutes
Austin - Houston: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
Austin - San Antonio: 1 Hour 24 Minutes
I can make Dallas in just over 2 hours, have done so numerous times
180 miles, speed limit 75, plus or minus :-)

Fairfield to Boston is also listed at 3 hours, have done it in 2 literally.
Literally 110 mph, cruise control on the Turnpike

Quote:

My opinion differs.
You really think CT has a higher die hard Yankee fan base than the Bronx, or NYC ???
More Hard core Met fans than Queens ????
Devil fans than New Jersey ??? Never met a Devils fan in CT
Higher Red Sox base than Boston

You make it sound like they are local teams ???

Relatively speaking, CT has a weak pro sports fan base at best.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
You really think CT has a higher die hard Yankee fan base than the Bronx, or NYC ???
More Hard core Met fans than Queens ????
Devil fans than New Jersey ??? Never met a Devils fan in CT
Higher Red Sox base than Boston

You make it sound like they are local teams ???

Relatively speaking, CT has a weak pro sports fan base at best.
I would say the Yankees fan base in Connecticut and the Red Sox fan base in Connecticut (Northern Connecticut) is significantly stronger than the fan base of Astro's or Ranger's fans in Austin.

The point of this thread is to contrast Austin and Connecticut for MY needs-- not to compare the Bronx and Connecticut.

I also don't understand why you persist in arguing about the trains. You can take a New Haven line train direct to Yankees stadium. I did it from Westport 4x last season. The metroNorth station is directly across from the stadium.

I can't do anything about the neighborhood around Yankees stadium. It's never been great..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM

370 posts, read 999,617 times
Quote:
I would say the Yankees fan base in Connecticut and the Red Sox fan base in Connecticut (Northern Connecticut) is significantly stronger than the fan base of Astro's or Ranger's fans in Austin.

The point of this thread is to contrast Austin and Connecticut for MY needs-- not to compare the Bronx and Connecticut.

I also don't understand why you persist in arguing about the trains. You can take a New Haven line train direct to Yankees stadium. I did it from Westport 4x last season. The metroNorth station is directly across from the stadium.

I can't do anything about the neighborhood around Yankees stadium. It's never been great..
New Haven Line "Direct" ... no transfer ?
That would have been cool, don't think you could have done that when I was there.
Not without a Mega walk ( through wrong part of town)

Either way, I took the train from Fairfield to Shea once ... ONCE
Uber long ride, I get there, and it's rain delay
I wait an hour, and start heading home ... It was like Irish Night or one of those
Either way, I get all the way home ... 2 1/2 hours later... and the game is on TV
Never Again
Fenway from there on out :-)
LOVE Fenway

Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
I'm guessing you have friends and family in Austin?

Quote:
Wow ... that is Exactly why I left South California

Guess it's all relative, after decades in NYC and South Cali,
I have never seen better customer service than Austin.
So far Austin is the happiest, most well adjusted place I have lived.
I am somewhat in the burbs though.

"like large cosmopolitan cities where you can get all of your needs met without any hassles or dirty looks"

I wouldn't suggest NYC or Los Angeles in your search for the above

Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Austin is like a much weaker version of Denton or Fort Worth with an occasional weird arts festival or bike ride here and there. It's pure Texan outside of Austin's festivals. So if you like old fashioned Texas culture: you'll love Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
That's funny Arsty because the city of Austin's media marketing campaign specifically states than Austin is nothing like Texas. It claims that Austin is "an island" amongst itself. OMG, the LIES !!!! Wait, did they forget that Austin IS the capital of Texas??????

Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM

College football is worshiped as much as God is in Austin. So that's another reason why I'm glad I left. I will not tolerate the football worshiping culture.

Quote:
You've never been to Austin, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin