Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,170 times

Advertisements

I would like to see this change, at least as much as possible...

"The University (of Texas) produces employees for Dell, not entrepreneurs..."

“Why I Moved My Company to California”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,771 times
One of the CEOs was quoted:

"And, Serres said, he spends time at Napa, at Lake Tahoe “I have a great life (in California.)"

Which, if you're a CEO, is easy to do. California has a lot to do and see if you have the money and time to get around, which a CEO most probably does.

I'd be interested to know how many of his employees get to run off to Napa or Tahoe.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,830,614 times
Quote:
Coppersmith pointed out that the thought leaders are in California.
I don't even know what that means.

Quote:
“If you are in movies, you’re in L.A….if you’re in tech, you’re in Silicon Valley. It’s about getting access to the thought leaders.”
In other words, it's all about how things look and how they're hyped.

The entire thing is nothing more than a complaint about the absence of VC in Austin relative to the Bay Area. So what? We're no longer an economy where VC swoops in and subsidizes every stupid idea anyway.

If you're an investor looking to make a quick buck or to have the status that comes with being a successful venture capitalist, then yeah, don't go to Austin. But as an entrepreneur that has never taken outside money and that actually has to work in an office every day, I don't see any advantage to the Bay Area.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,116,334 times
The entire article is designed to generate page views! It is essentially SEO not journalism

Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM

An article I found in the WSJ last month (The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com) makes a number of points - if you have oodles of dollars, California is still a place to be, but the middle class is being squeezed out in droves. I'm one of them. The article does back up part of the thesis of the OP's article in that this is still a place for the wealthy entrepeneurs and the like, but for the rest of us who don't live off the state (either via salary or via benefits of some kind) it's becoming increasingly hard to afford staying.

I moved here nearly five years ago thinking I could "swing it" financially, but I finally had to throw in the towel - I'm just running out the clock until my apartment lease expires.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I moved here nearly five years ago thinking I could "swing it" financially, but I finally had to throw in the towel - I'm just running out the clock until my apartment lease expires.
Same experience here. The first time I saw how well I could live in Texas compared to California, I decided that California makes an excellent vacation spot but not such a fabulous place to live full-time.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,830,614 times
Plus it's just anecdotal. The stats don't show companies moving TO California - there's been some equalization but with CA's budget almost double what they thought it was 6 months ago, there will be more on their way out.

I love California. It's the people running the place that make it unlivable.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Plus it's just anecdotal. The stats don't show companies moving TO California - there's been some equalization but with CA's budget almost double what they thought it was 6 months ago, there will be more on their way out.

I love California. It's the people running the place that make it unlivable.
Budget *deficit*.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,861 times
All of the evidence points to middle income people leaving Cali for Travis County, not the other way around.

This map is most instructive -- drawn from IRS data. It shows that in 2010, exactly ONE county in Cali got more TC residents than they sent -- Monterey county (Salinas) -- sent 17, got 31. The interesting fact is the incomes -- per capita to Travis County, $53K. From here? $15K. We can make those trades all day long -- send out the $15K earners, attract the $53K earners.

Other counties show the same thing. LA county, 850 out, per capita income $48K. Travis to there -- 502, income $26K. Sandy Eggo -- 469, $30K, vice 259 and $29K.

So, there is anecdotal evidence of movement from here to there, at the high end. But the macro evidence is completely to the contrary.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,443,112 times
The impression I got from the article was that the young talent in Austin are a bunch of slackers. And as someone who used to hire people for a living, I have to say I agree.

"'Stanford graduates,' he said, 'come out with a mission in life to “quit after their second year of work and become the next Google….'" In my experience, kids here don't ever want to work so hard that they can quit after their second year. They think they should be able to just slack off from the get-go without doing anything to earn it. They are too hip, too cool, too "special" to have to work 60 hours a week or wear anything other than flip-flops to work. When they start their own Facebook, they can do that. Until then, they need to earn their stripes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin