Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,893 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, Dh and I are considering a move to Georgetown. Have any of you all lived there or have any impressions of this community? What is good about it? Bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Hi folks, Dh and I are considering a move to Georgetown. Have any of you all lived there or have any impressions of this community? What is good about it? Bad?
I mean no disrespect anna; but, you, as an experienced C-D er with 200+ posts, should know that searching for the fifty-eleven Georgetown posts and asking specifics will get you quicker results. You'll also get a feel for those responders who routinely bash any place that is not in the Austin city core and those who believe G-town to be just another example of sprawl(even though it has been there for over 150 years). There are a number of G-town area residents on the board and I'm sure they will chime in eventually. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,712,621 times
Well, I live close to it and love it. They have some really good festivals throughout the year and a great little town square. They have some really good cafes and restaurants and new and older stock housing. There is a lake and also the San Gabriel River/Blue Hole swimming area. This is only a small sample of things. I'm sure more people will chime in too.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:14 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,425,948 times
Check into property taxes, I believe they're in Williamson County, some of the highest property taxes in the nation!

also, check out utility rates, are high in that area

Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 PM

For utilities, you can choose who your providers are.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM

97 posts, read 264,400 times
I think it bears mentioning that Georgetown and Williamson County are both extremely conservative politically. Both are very law-and-order (which translates into nationally low crime rates). It's a small town with a lot of small-town feel. I agree with the idea that we could tell you more if you asked specific questions! :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
It's a small town with a lot of small-town feel. I agree with the idea that we could tell you more if you asked specific questions! :-)
Downtown Georgetown has a small town feel, but Georgetown has areas that don't really give off that feel anymore like Wolf Ranch. I'll actually head to Georgetown from NW Round Rock to go to places like Kohl's, Old Navy, and Best Buy if I don't want to fight the Lakeline crowds.

And I'm not sure that I'd really call it a small town anymore at all really. Places like Target, Walmart, Home Depot, and Michael's are already there. New businesses/chains/franchises are popping up there all the time. Baskin Robbins just opened up in the past month or so on Williams and I saw that a Which Wich is opening up soon there too. Most fast food chains including a new Carls Jr. are there already. You really could live in Georgetown and not really have to venture into Austin or Round Rock for anything. You could even buy your car at one of the numerous new car dealerships located in Georgetown (Ford, Subaru, Chevy, VW, Dodge, Volvo, Mercedes, Mazda).

Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,222 times
I agree with Mark. Georgetown has become more self sufficient in the recent years in regards to shopping and restaurants. There are a decent number of festivals and activities for the kids. The people here are pretty friendly. It is definitely a good place to live and it is projected to grow in the near future. From the pattern of recent growth in the past there won't be much of a reason to travel into austin for entertainment.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 PM

And there's the Palace Theatre in the square too, so don't really need to travel to see a play either. There's a farmers market, Art Fest on the square and the Christmas in the square is getting more elaborate every year. Many of the mom and pop restaurants (non chain) are run/owned by people who haved moved from the West or East Coasts and ran businesses there or from Austinites who left Austin for Georgetown. The Equestrian Arena also hosts a rodeo and another equestian show, and also serves as extra space for the Cowboy Fest they do there (It's like a chuckwagon cookoff, western theme). San Gabriel Park is very nice too.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,320 times
I forgot to mention that there is a fairly new first run movie theater and a fairly new bowling alley along with a recently updated Rec Center. Unfortunately, it seems like downtown Georgetown where you do get the most small town feel isn't really thriving in this economy. There are some things going on there occasionally, but most of the time when I go there, it's fairly empty. Maybe that will change when the economy picks back up again.

City Lights Theatres

Mel's Lone Star Lanes Bowling Alley | Georgetown, Round Rock, Austin, Cedar Park, Taylor, Hutto TX

Rec Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin