Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 PM

41 posts, read 220,009 times

Advertisements

Anyone have insight on Georgetown? My husband will be working at the Dell Parmer South location. We are looking at housing in the 220k range. We've only spent 4 days in Austin, and to us Georgetown seemed more relaxed and less fast-paced. My only concern is that there are a lot of long-term residents there that aren't accepting to newcomers.

We are looking at Cedar Park, Pflugerville and Round Rock also. I prefer Cedar Park, but we're not sure about the commute yet. Anyone have anything they LOVE / HATE about any of these areas?

Thanks for everyones help on the boards - you've been a HUGE source of good information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,676,770 times
Georgetown is a smaller town with a much smaller influx of people, so it is probably true that it is a little more difficult to fit in as quickly. However, if you like the smaller town atmosphere, it is probably worth the inconvenience. It is a really nice 'small' town (although about 2 or 3 times as large as when I lived there) with reasonable access into Austin (or RR for that matter).

I suspect that any of the slower paced small towns will seem a little exclusionary, but it is probably more perception than reality in G'town.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 PM

288 posts, read 812,724 times
My wife has a second interview in a few weeks in Georgetown and if it works out (fingers crossed), we'll be looking there as well. The concern you state is one we have as well.

Maybe someone can jump in here, but it would seem to me that the newer neighborhoods have more transplants and therefore people more outgoing toward neighbors. Therefore, if you stick to a newer neighborhood filled with younger people that are mostly from somewhere else it should be easier getting to know people. Maybe I'm totally off base with my assumptions...

Just from checking out the town a few times though it does have a beautiful downtown with that small town feel, where places like Pflugerville and Cedar Park seem more like your typical burbs. That definitely appealed to us.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM

325 posts, read 1,021,217 times
I don't know if any of you will still be reading this, but when I visited Georgetown the people were friendlier than anywhere and very encouraging on us moving to their fine town. I keep saying "I left my heart in Georgetown. The other areas were way too busy for me. We met people from some of the small churches too that would love to see us move there. My biggest concern is if there is enough sun shine January through April. I need to get away from dark and dreary Wisconsin in the winter. How is the weather there in January and February?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,715,461 times
The only thing I've ever heard anyone from Georgetown say about newcomers is that they're afraid of it being "Californicated". In other words, and I've read it here before, Don't move there and try to turn it into wherever you moved from...It's its own style. Not my opinion, just what I've heard. Even I'm a transplant, although native to Texas, and haven't had a bad time with it. When we moved to Colorado, we got so much grief for being from Texas, it wasn't funny. I always got mean notes and stuff on my car, etc. And if you moved from Cali, it was worse. You'd get your tires punctured, car keyed, etc. But something someone who was a native Coloradan told me that made me laugh, was that it was most likely done by the local gang of 3 crazy local housewives who were bored and didn't like change. I would suspect if you sensed anything bad from Georgetown, that it was only from the gang of 3 bored housewives. Everyone else would be glad to have you there. As for the weather in January and February, it's been different every year I've been here. The first year I was here, it was cloudy constantly. The next, just off and on. It's been that way this year too, but I've learned to appreciate it, because summer won't be too far off.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 PM

288 posts, read 812,724 times
So being from MN I should be safe then.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,676,770 times
Georgetown has had the good fortune of being just far enough from Austin that it grew at a more leisurely rate for many years. There are a couple of very nice neighborhoods that are (gasp!) all custom homes. And on large lots (many are 1/2 acre plus). I spent many years in Serenada area of Georgetown, and really liked the feel of the neighborhood compared to the planned communities. Of course, if you have kids, the neighbors are much further apart...I actually had to ride my bike a mile or more to several of my friends' houses...

The park down on the San Gabriel river is really nice, too...it is a great place to take lunch if you are in town.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,715,461 times
If you're from Maryland, you're definitely safe! On the San Gabriel park..It really is a pretty park! I've been here 3 years, and to Georgetown many times, and never knew about it. My neighbor took us (me, my daughter, her and her sons) and my daughter loved it. There's a little stream they played in, with a little pool at one end. The river is right there, but it's blocked somewhat, so not too easy for a kid to get in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin