Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,793,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I agree many of the newer properties in Bee Cave are like this. But some people clearly want this kind of home/lot combination. Enough yard for small kids and a dog, but not too much to maintain. Not my thing but I understand the appeal.
Not my thing either. But it seems like they are building houses like this EVERYWHERE. I personally hate that style of house. If you walk into some of these there's a huge amount of wasted space. The whole entrance area in a lot of them I've seen has a foyer that has a ceiling that goes all the way up to the 2nd floor. Tiny little lots too. Its just interesting to me because 9 times out of 10, it seems that people who visit this site ask for the same thing: established neighborhood with modest homes with larger yards. They built this type of house well into the early 90's. You'd think builders would pay attention and realize the era of the Mcmansion is probably over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
My eyes/ears tell me that perhaps the trend is changing a bit. Some people are starting to realize that their family with 2.5 children doesn't need 4500 sq. ft. to be happy. I think it is a good trend if it continues. But I also am completely happy that people can choose to buy what they want. Our housing market has never been so crazy like CA where homes sell in two days for more than asking price. So no one is forced to buy a home they don't want.

Many homes in the Bee Cave area are on good sized lots. And nearby, like Travis Settlement, has lots in the 2+ acre size.

But some here are "density is good" people and probably don't like it when people choose space.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,793,885 times
The size of houses will probably come down because people can't really afford giant houses anymore. I think I recall reading that a lot of homebuilders were ramping up production on more modest homes. Its just interesting that when I was growing up, we lived in a 1,700 sq foot house and to me that was huge. A lot of the new homes near my parents are now 2 and 3 times that size. You see these huge houses in the South a lot too. My take is that many people who move in from say- NJ or CA where a small home is 600k can suddenly buy a monster sized house for maybe 350k and therfor they get "More bang for their buck".

Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,114,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The size of houses will probably come down because people can't really afford giant houses anymore. I think I recall reading that a lot of homebuilders were ramping up production on more modest homes. Its just interesting that when I was growing up, we lived in a 1,700 sq foot house and to me that was huge. A lot of the new homes near my parents are now 2 and 3 times that size. You see these huge houses in the South a lot too. My take is that many people who move in from say- NJ or CA where a small home is 600k can suddenly buy a monster sized house for maybe 350k and therfor they get "More bang for their buck".
I'm sure you are right about some Californians, but not me. After being in CA for 35 years, we have returned to TX, and we want nothing to do with a Mcmansion. Our house in CA was 2000 sq. ft, and that is plenty for us. We want a house that is comfortable and economical, with just enough space to feel serene, and outside space that can connect us with nature. I don't care for those "soaring" entry ways, as it seems to me they are there just to impress people. They also waste energy. And we are looking for a one story because ... well, it just seems wise at this point in our lives.

Spicewood has a lot to recommend it, but it is even farther away from town than Lakeway. While we don't have to commute for work, we still want to take advantage of activities in town, and that becomes quite a drive. But we have lots of food for thought, thanks to all the comments. I am always happy to get people's points of view because no matter what we decide, all the suggestions and comments always help us to think matters through, so I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,747,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
My eyes/ears tell me that perhaps the trend is changing a bit. Some people are starting to realize that their family with 2.5 children doesn't need 4500 sq. ft. to be happy. I think it is a good trend if it continues. But I also am completely happy that people can choose to buy what they want. Our housing market has never been so crazy like CA where homes sell in two days for more than asking price. So no one is forced to buy a home they don't want.

Many homes in the Bee Cave area are on good sized lots. And nearby, like Travis Settlement, has lots in the 2+ acre size.

But some here are "density is good" people and probably don't like it when people choose space.
Regarding density I think the issue is that with this region doubling in population in the next 25 years how big would the urbanized area have to be to support such large lots for everyone who wants to live west of Austin? What are the impacts to the transportation infrastructure of such a dispersed population? Once a pattern of land use is set for an area there is really no going back and building enough highways to keep up with growth hasn't worked anywhere in Texas or the sunbelt for that matter. It's just people's tolerance for long commutes that has gone up.

Ain't nothing wrong with two story homes; I grew up in them. Instead of crowding think of the benefits of "vertical space utilization," that is otherwise wasted space being used for something.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,114,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with two story homes; I grew up in them. Instead of crowding think of the benefits of "vertical space utilization," that is otherwise wasted space being used for something.
No, there is nothing wrong with 2 story homes; I grew up in them as well. My point is that the real problem is not one or two stories. The real problem is that people are feeling that they need 4,000 sq. ft of space. It has become a societal norm in some parts of the country that you must have a huge house to live well. It wastes materials, energy, money and yes, land as well. I think the developers, for the sake of profits, have manipulated people into believing the big house myth. Some people need a one story house for accessiblility. But people don't need nearly as much space as they recently have started to believe. Personally, I'd rather have a 2,000 sq. ft. one story than a 4,000 sq. ft two story.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,951,881 times
Bee Cave is no different that any of the other bedroom communities that have sprung up all around Austin. I was here long before the subdivisions, the stores and the Galleria and I can tell you that what there was in the way of community changed drastically with the growth and development.

Lakeway is a bit different because it developed long ago. It has its share of development mixed with older homes and a bit more eclectic feel.

My question to you is - what is it you are looking for? Is there a reason you picked Lakeway as far as location or proximity to the lake? Where does your commute take you?

Have you looked at the Cuernavaca area? It doesn't appeal to a lot of people - there's no uniformity of houses, no sidewalks or streetlights and a very mixed bag as far as houses go. But many of the houses are on large lots with mature trees and there is a real sense of community. There is a neighborhood association, LCHA, and there are lots of activities and a nice waterfront park.

I will say this - Bee Cave Road has gotten MISERABLE! We are actually considering moving because the commute has become intolerable. But if you're in Lakeway and going into town now, you're not any worse off.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,747,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
No, there is nothing wrong with 2 story homes; I grew up in them as well. My point is that the real problem is not one or two stories. The real problem is that people are feeling that they need 4,000 sq. ft of space. It has become a societal norm in some parts of the country that you must have a huge house to live well. It wastes materials, energy, money and yes, land as well. I think the developers, for the sake of profits, have manipulated people into believing the big house myth. Some people need a one story house for accessiblility. But people don't need nearly as much space as they recently have started to believe. Personally, I'd rather have a 2,000 sq. ft. one story than a 4,000 sq. ft two story.
Agreed. Hard to believe but in 1950 the average size of a home was just under 1,000 sq. ft. And you have to remember this was in the booming post war era. I would rather have a smaller higher quality home with a metal roof, extremely energy efficient HVAC/H20 heater, cork floors, and quality workmanship than some cheaply made 1,800 sq. ft. Centex/KB home which will cost me more money in the long run. Of course I live alone but really does every child need his own bedroom or even worse wing of a home? I don't know why a retired couple would want a 3,000 sq. ft. home either. My grandparents were perfectly fine with their 1400 sq. ft. Florida home with lanai. I guess I'm out of touch..............

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
I too do not understand the need for such big homes. But it is related to the general growth in wealth of Americans over the last several decades, right? Every home has luxury unimaginable two decades ago.

We live well. As the economy remains tight, energy costs go up, etc. things will evolve again.

I still will not fault people for buying what they want and can afford.

Moonlady - what do you mean Bee Cave Rd. is now miserable? I have been driving through Bee Cave and Bee Cave Rd. for over ten years. After they finished the road construction on 71 between 620 and Bee Cave I think the traffic flow improved significantly. We now have a new delay due to contruction east of 71, but that will be finished soon. Bee Cave Rd. traffic in the morning between 71 and 360 is not good, but it is not as bad as it was two years ago. The intersection improvement at 360 helped.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,951,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Moonlady - what do you mean Bee Cave Rd. is now miserable? I have been driving through Bee Cave and Bee Cave Rd. for over ten years. After they finished the road construction on 71 between 620 and Bee Cave I think the traffic flow improved significantly. We now have a new delay due to contruction east of 71, but that will be finished soon. Bee Cave Rd. traffic in the morning between 71 and 360 is not good, but it is not as bad as it was two years ago. The intersection improvement at 360 helped.
I have a 28 mile commute one way. Coming home, it takes me right around 30-35 minutes to navigate the first 22 miles up to 360/Bee Caves and then it can take me up to 20 minutes to navigate the 4 mile stretch of Bee Cave. I leave at 7 in the morning, so it only takes me 5 minutes to get from Cuernavaca to 360. It's the afternoon going westbound that can be painful. I've been doing it for 16 years, so I've seen it go from almost nothing to bumper to bumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin