Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 PM

103 posts, read 216,204 times

Advertisements

Just a howdy...

We're considering a move to Austin sometime in the near future.. just working on finding a job....

We'd love to live someplace in the triangle Dripping Springs/Bee Caves/ Austin.

My wife's biggest concern is the humidity.. Makes her hair BIG.. lol and I'm a bot concerned about the commute up 290 or from Dripping Springs west via 71 to the city.

Coming from SoCal a 45 minute commute is the norm.. and as I'm an early in the office kind of guy I'm thinking it wont be too much of a problem.

If you know of a job for a C# developer with 11 years years experience in nearly everything.. shoot me a line to AaronPitts@san.rr.com or Linked In on Face book Im the only one in San Diego.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,848 times
Are you on Corvetteforum?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,041,077 times
Just a heads up..no one says howdy in Austin!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM

@Sinking.. yep one in the same.. I ever sold you an antenna?

@inthecut.. Yep I noticed that... bummer I say it all the time.. Im just Keeping Austin Weird! They dont wear boots either.. you all have a lot to learn! J/K

Ive visited a few times.. I have family buried up in Taylor and fell in love with the hill country.... We're getting really tired of the way to fast and close proximity of people here in San Diego.. just WAY too crowed..

Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
@Sinking.. yep one in the same.. I ever sold you an antenna?

Ive visited a few times.. I have family buried up in Taylor and fell in love with the hill country.... We're getting really tired of the way to fast and close proximity of people here in San Diego.. just WAY too crowed..
I thought the name looked familiar. It took me a second to figure out what forum I was in.

Humidity seems moderate here. I haven't heard any complaints about it messing with peoples hair.

It is extremely crowded here. You're not going to get away from that. You can get a place that is in a less crowded area but your commute is going to kill you every day. Traffic is very bad here.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM

With regards to the commute.. Ive been sampling the observations of a bunch of folks on this board..it seems a mixed bag... some dont seem to mind others do.

Im guessing is a measure of past experience. If you've driven in LA traffic at rush hour then navigating the 290/71 Y isn't such a bad thing.. if you're experience has been smaller citys then its a disaster.. Im sort of zen about driving if you find the way with the least "Hassles" then its a better route .. even if it takes you a few miles out of your way

Its funny.. the two or three times Ive been to Austin its been HOT and muggy.. and my wife thinks nothing of it.... and IM the one complaining.. Ive experienced south Fla oand NYC in August that sucks.. the humididty here spiked just a bit this week and she thinks is horriable.. I expecting it going to be an adjustment... but with a bit more room.. a private pool and quiet at home Im hoping it will be a more positive place

Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,111,928 times
We just moved almost two months ago to Lakeway, which is close to Bee Cave. About the humidity, my hair does the same thing, but it has only been "big" a few times when we had rain then heat. Otherwise, no problem. Most days, the humidity isn't bad. Sorry, I can't comment on the commute, since I don't drive it. I have noticed in the past, however, that how you experience the traffic often depends on your attitude. The worst 4 years of commute I ever had were when I had to drive my son to/from a middle school that was not in our district. But I actually didn't mind it because it gave us lots of time to talk about the day. Kids seem to talk more when they aren't face to face with you. I actually kind of missed the drive when he got to high school, which was close to home.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,157,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Just a heads up..no one says howdy in Austin!
I don't know, one of my neighbors walked by just earlier tonight and waved and said "howdy." My buddy Cole (SA native) says it all the time.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,041,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I don't know, one of my neighbors walked by just earlier tonight and waved and said "howdy." My buddy Cole (SA native) says it all the time.
I'm sure much of Texas does, but Austin is just that singular lil place that stands by itself...the irony is, if you say howdy out here, you are just as likely to be speaking to someone from southern california or some other out of state place as a native texan...it would be great if californians said hello period to each other, let alone howdy, but sweet that many seem to want to open up a bit when they come here....has the mass southern californian exodus spent itself yet, or are they still spilling out by the ton from there?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 AM

370 posts, read 1,000,165 times
If you're tired of how crowded San Diego is ... I can't see how moving
to Austin solves that issue

The past week in Southern California has been hotter then Austin ever gets.
The hottest weather I ever had was in Southern California, I just spent 5 years there.

Before that was NY, CT for decades. Both of those in July and August are worse then Austin.

In Austin the heat lasts longer, like into September.
Whatever, ignore it. On average it's great year round, and winters aren't as bad
as the north. It's nice to have some seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin