Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,745 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a Swim team for my 7th grader. She has swum for 1 year on a low key competitive team. We live in Zilker. I would like to not drive far but that is looking to be difficult. Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
There are a number of good to very good USA Swimming year round teams in Austin.

The closest to the Zilker area is probably Longhorn Aquatics (swim at UT), but they are not a good choice for many swimmers.

Others that are a manageable drive:

Lost Creek Aquatics (off 360)
West Austin Aquatics (Bee Caves Rd between 360 and 71)
Capital of Texas Aquatics (check current location)
Weiss & Weiss (Bee Caves Rd. in Rollingwood)
Westwood CC
Austin Elite Swimming (at St. Stephens school)

I have some knowledge about the quality of these and other swimming programs in Austin. My kids have been competitive swimmers in Austin for a number of years for several different teams.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM

361 posts, read 1,164,436 times
Hoffdano- I heard the previous staff at longhorn aquatics was too intense but have heard great things about the new group. What's your opinion? My kid wants to swim year round, and Nitro seems like a good choice but I think we are too far. Besides longhorn, who do you respect?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM

The previous regime at TXLA was indeed very intense and largely impersonal. I think they were highly overrated. Much of its national reputation was earned via elite swimmers that are really UT swimmers coached by Eddie Reese. Aaron Peirsol, Brendan Hansen, etc. were never developed by TXLA nor coached by Randy Reese.

I have heard good things about the new head coach, but I also see that some of TXLA's problems have not been solved. It has been a team oriented toward the elite swimmers. They also still seem to maintain a yardage oriented philosophy. I think it is interesting to see how many swimmers have left TXLA over the last few years. Swimming at UT presents some hassles of its own - parking in particular.

NITRO is rapidly becoming the premier age group team in Austin. Their current location is a big problem though for many. They are building a second indoor 50M pool on SH71 near Falconhead West that is scheduled to open in 2011.

I have close experience with West Austin, Texas Gold, and Lost Creek. A few comments:

West Austin - diverse (I mean different skill levels) program, good pool space, easy access, most kids enjoy it there.

Texas Gold - yardage oriented training, long history in Austin

Lost Creek - good youth swimmers, crowded pool

I suggest you check out Austin Elite Swimmers - Nate O'Brien is the coach (UT-ex, and former West Austin coach). His program is very new - he has some good swimmers and he is passionate about swimming. He is also not rooted in old school coaching methods).

Last edited by hoffdano; 07-29-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM

361 posts, read 1,164,436 times
Hoff- thanks! Great info. Do you happen to know anything about Trey, he coached at west Austin and is now at Westwood? What's his rep? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
Hoff- thanks! Great info. Do you happen to know anything about Trey, he coached at west Austin and is now at Westwood? What's his rep? Thanks!
I do know Trey. He is a good guy, a good coach, and enjoys coaching age group swimmers. I do not think he is capable of coaching elite swimmers. But he is very good at developing kids. He hates coaching breaststroke! So if your kid really wants to be good at breaststroke Trey might not be the best coach.

But I definitely recommend him as a development coach.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,471 times
I'm new to the group and am trying to find a swim team for my 8th grader, so would like to know what y'all have found to be the best this fall . Also, would love to know who is the other 7th grader family that posted on here as we live near Zilker Park too.:-) Thx!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Latimer View Post
I'm new to the group and am trying to find a swim team for my 8th grader, so would like to know what y'all have found to be the best this fall . Also, would love to know who is the other 7th grader family that posted on here as we live near Zilker Park too.:-) Thx!
Please provide a bit more info about your 8th grader. How skilled is he/she right now? What is your child's goal for swimming this fall? For example - does he/she want to swim in high school? Learn a new stroke?

How far are you willing to drive to get to a pool? Does the pool need to be indoors? Or is a heated outdoor pool OK?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,367 times
I have a question for you- My child swims 5 days/wk at Longhorn, and we are looking for someone to do individual stroke work since the TXLA coaches are not allowed to do private lessons. I am having a really hard time finding someone who has experience (and is good). Do you have any recommendations? Thanks for your time.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txswimparent View Post
I have a question for you- My child swims 5 days/wk at Longhorn, and we are looking for someone to do individual stroke work since the TXLA coaches are not allowed to do private lessons. I am having a really hard time finding someone who has experience (and is good). Do you have any recommendations? Thanks for your time.
How old is your child and what skill level is he/she?

Most teams frown on their coaches doing free lance work. TXLA will be the most strict about that. TXLA is also possibly the least personal coaching environment in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin