Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 PM

77 posts, read 229,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadog View Post
We have a great school system in mcduffie county.
Compared to third world countries it's EXCELLENT!

It all depends on the standard you hold it to I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,111 times
Grovetown has small town charm with big city accessibility. There are several new subdivisions located in the heart of Grovetown. Grove Landing offers townhouses and single family homes with a club house and swimming pool for the residents. There is also a fishing pond planned for the future. Reynolds Pond, Arbor Springs, Northlake, Bryans Cove and Pamir Place are also nice projects. There are two elementary schools, a middle school, and a new high school in Grovetown. Walmart opens up at the end of Oct. 2009 and is a welcomed addition to the area. The City of Grovetown hosts the 4th of July BBQ (started many years ago by former Mayor Dennis Trudeau), Grovetown Heritage Festival, the Christmas Tree Lighting (with thousands of Christmas lights being displayed on Robinson Avenue), and the annual Christmas parade. If you need more information, I found the new website for the City of Grovetown and the Grovetown Merchants Association which may provide you with a little more information on the history of Grovetown, local events, local restaurants, and new developments.City of Grovetown website: [url=http://www.cityofgrovetown.comMerchants]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more[/url] Assoc. website: Home (http://grovetownmerchants.net/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM

194 posts, read 529,254 times
Safety & raising children

Thomson would win easily over Grovetown. The city limits of Grovetown are ghetto too me. Some people refer to Grovetown as ''little mexico''. Many illegals walk up and down around wrightsboro rd in Grovetown all night. You can find nicer subdivisions off columbia road, chamblin rd, and lewiston road. These areas are not in the heart of Grovetown. The heart of Grovetown is the city limits, not the outskirts. Grovetown high is not a good school either in my opinion. Several fights some gang related took place in the first two weeks of the brand new school opening. Atleast Harlem high is gloating because they will have a 80% reduction in disciplinary cases. Since Grovetown residents have their own school.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,690 times
I may be possibly relocating to the Thomson area for my career from Auburn, AL. I will be working in Thomson. Are there any apartments in Thomson? My biggest concerns are: Security and Schools...because I am a single mother with a 9 year old daughter. Any suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated (I prefer an apartment, condo, or long term stay hotels at this time) Im not ready to buy a house yet. I can afford rent up to $1000/month as long as I have SECURITY and GOOD SCHOOLS...should I look at Thomson, Grovetown or should I look back west of Thompson towards Reynolds Plantation?? I do not want a long commute, I prefer the country and small town areas (I do not want to live in Augusta). Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM

28 posts, read 52,331 times
The further you are from Richmond County, the better. Gangs are a huge problem in Augusta - Richmond County.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 AM

56 posts, read 99,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTIGER86 View Post
I may be possibly relocating to the Thomson area for my career from Auburn, AL. I will be working in Thomson. Are there any apartments in Thomson? My biggest concerns are: Security and Schools...because I am a single mother with a 9 year old daughter. Any suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated (I prefer an apartment, condo, or long term stay hotels at this time) Im not ready to buy a house yet. I can afford rent up to $1000/month as long as I have SECURITY and GOOD SCHOOLS...should I look at Thomson, Grovetown or should I look back west of Thompson towards Reynolds Plantation?? I do not want a long commute, I prefer the country and small town areas (I do not want to live in Augusta). Thank you in advance for your time.
Not sure about the apartment situation there, but Harlem is a town you could look into as well. It would be a closer commute than Grovetown. I hear the Harlem education system (Columbia County) is pretty good, but not 100% sure. One thing about Harlem and Thomson both is that they will likely be totally different places within the next 2-3 years due to the National Security Agency expanding at Fort Gordon. That small city charm may turn into stip mall heaven (think Evans) real quick.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson-hole View Post
The further you are from Richmond County, the better. Gangs are a huge problem in Augusta - Richmond County.
This whole time I thought it was the further you are from Cobb County, the better. Gangs are huge problem in Cobb County...

I really do feel sorry for you.. The FBI stats don't seem to agree with trolls.. No matter how much you lie and exaggerate it won't change the true facts... Hey Par4ham, Disgustasucks, Expatriado, check out the crime rate in Richmond County...

Violent crime rankings per 100k

Highest crime rates/4th Quartile
Flint, MI
Stockton, CA
Baton Rouge, LA
Bimingham, AL
Bridgeport, CT
Chattanooga, TN

Average crime rate/3rd Quartile
Dayton, OH
Rochester, NY
Tacoma, WA
Tallahassee, FL
Beaumont, TX
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS

Average crime rate/2nd Quartile
Grand Rapids, MI
Richmond. VA
Greensboro, NC
Springfield, MO
St. Paul, MN
Winston-Salem, NC
South Bend, IN

Lowest crime rate/1st Quartile
Salt Lake City, UT
Norfolk, VA
Augusta, GA
Raleigh, NC
Mobile, AL
Montgomery, AL

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Since schools are one of your biggest concerns... Then moving to Harlem, GA wouldn't be a bright idea. The graduation rate at Harlem is 64% and doesn't seem to be improving... Grovetown and Appling in Columbia County are zoned for better schools....

Thomson located in Mcduffie County is a nice small town with a much better high school.. Hephzibah in Richmond County and Grovetown in Columbia County are faster growing small towns compared to Thomson with average schools.. The better places to live in Hephzibah are in the actual city limits.. While Grovetown is the polar opposite, the better neighborhoods are near I-20 and not in the city limits..

You could also try the city of Blythe or Mcbean in Richmond County. Goshen is a very large neighborhood9over 800 homes) and pretty much it's own area. Cross Creek has a 80% graduation rate and it's a very good school..

Ranking of best high schools
1. Thomson and Cross Creek
2. Hephzibah and Grovetown
3. Harlem

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-24-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM

27 posts, read 54,197 times
If you've lived in micro towns your whole life or don't plan on doing any shopping beyond Walmart quality merchandise then Thomson is a nice place to live. If you've lived anywhere near civilization then you will be very disappointed. Aside from Walmart there is little else to speak of, it appears that it's the lone meeting place in the entire metro area. For anything else you will be driving a minimum of 30 min to an hour for the limited selections in Augusta or Aiken, SC and 2+ hours for real shopping in Atlanta or Charlotte. Thomson has no bars, no book stores, no coffee shops, no restaurants of significance, no art galleries....... I'll stop here It's easier to list the few things the city does have. A Ford dealer, a Chrysler/Dodge dealer, 3 or 4 places to shop for clothing, a few auto parts stores, a couple of Grocery stores and a Walmart.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM

115 posts, read 243,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkitec View Post
If you've lived in micro towns your whole life or don't plan on doing any shopping beyond Walmart quality merchandise then Thomson is a nice place to live. If you've lived anywhere near civilization then you will be very disappointed. Aside from Walmart there is little else to speak of, it appears that it's the lone meeting place in the entire metro area. For anything else you will be driving a minimum of 30 min to an hour for the limited selections in Augusta or Aiken, SC and 2+ hours for real shopping in Atlanta or Charlotte. Thomson has no bars, no book stores, no coffee shops, no restaurants of significance, no art galleries....... I'll stop here It's easier to list the few things the city does have. A Ford dealer, a Chrysler/Dodge dealer, 3 or 4 places to shop for clothing, a few auto parts stores, a couple of Grocery stores and a Walmart.
Your right about your assesment of Thompson, but sorely wrong about Augusta and Aiken. Those two cities are growing greatly and Augusta has one of the best malls in ga outside Atl. Aiken is growing fast because its right in between two meduim sized cities (Augusta and Columbia). Seriously though in the long run Grovetown will probably outpace Thompson in terms of growth. Grovetown is already has half the population of thompson and is growing. Thompson is only bigger, because it has more or less unofficially merged with mcduffie county. What I mean is that most of the county is in Thompson and the rest is in Dearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area