Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times

Advertisements

There are lots of well designed parking decks out there. This is one of my favorites -- the green wall makes it blend right into the landscape and look like part of the hillside.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...6e9da4f1_b.jpg

More here:

Parking Decks - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50962413@N07/sets/72157624277476144/detail/ - broken link)

Cars may go away someday but for the foreseeable future we're stuck with millions of them. We should focus on making their facilities less of an eyesore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are lots of well designed parking decks out there. This is one of my favorites -- the green wall makes it blend right into the landscape and look like part of the hillside.

More here:

Parking Decks - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50962413@N07/sets/72157624277476144/detail/ - broken link)

Cars may go away someday but for the foreseeable future we're stuck with millions of them. We should focus on making their facilities less of an eyesore.
Believe it or not arjay57, that is not a hillside - but the deck itself. It's in Miami Beach, of all places! We need thousands more just like it, imo.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM

128 posts, read 352,846 times
Here's one of downtown's gems, the replacement for the Kimball House Hotel...
What Atlanta does with its amazing historic architecture. on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyurban/4295982858/ - broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

More here:

Now THAT is more like it. It's hard to tell that some of those are even parking decks!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Here's one of downtown's gems, the replacement for the Kimball House Hotel...
What Atlanta does with its amazing historic architecture. on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyurban/4295982858/ - broken link)
Although the street-level retail is more than a lot of other parking garages have downtown, its canceled out by how ugly and run down this building is. The good news is that GSU is planning on tearing down this parking garage and replacing it with student dorms.

Mainstreet Master Plan

This will also finally give Georgia State a building that officially lies within Five Points. Hopefully the students that move into these dorms can initiate/spur a clean up and redevelopment of Five Points.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Since there has been a lot of discussion from certain people that Downtown has never been worse in terms of it's build up environment, there is no better way to show the progress that has been made in the last 20 years than in big ol' pictures:

Downtown Atlanta in the late 1970s to mid 1980s aka when "urban renewal" reached it's peak:
Flickr Photo Download: Aerial view of Atlanta , late 1970s (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25453827@N06/2547788489/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Downtown Atlanta late 2000s:

Flickr Photo Download: Atlanta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brothergrimm/3040122472/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Downtown may not be exactly where it needs to be yet, but it sure is far better than it used to be...in my own lifetime no less.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM

128 posts, read 352,846 times
Wow great pictures - thanks Waron! I think a great slogan would be: "Downtown, it's getting there!"
As for the GSU housing, that would be such a boost for the area. GSU (my school) is the best bet for redevelopment downtown, and thank God they are putting up buildings now that are of the city, rather than apart. I would love to be in attendance when they demo this bad boy!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM

248 posts, read 648,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Since there has been a lot of discussion from certain people that Downtown has never been worse in terms of it's build up environment, there is no better way to show the progress that has been made in the last 20 years than in big ol' pictures:
Awesome collection of photos. Thanks for posting these. You're right -- downtown has made a lot of progress in the last 30 years. I can lose sight of that fact, especially when I compare our downtown to those of other cities that have never gone through the grim phase of parking-lot craziness that Atlanta went through, as pictured here.

It looks like the late 1970s-early 80s was the low point for the area when it comes to the amount of land area given over to surface parking. Pretty amazing to see what once existed.

There's still a long way to go before downtown reaches its full potential as a vibrant, walkable urban area for both visitors and locals. But these photos show that the area is headed in the right direction slowly but surely.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Wow great pictures - thanks Waron! I think a great slogan would be: "Downtown, it's getting there!"
As for the GSU housing, that would be such a boost for the area. GSU (my school) is the best bet for redevelopment downtown, and thank God they are putting up buildings now that are of the city, rather than apart. I would love to be in attendance when they demo this bad boy!
I totally agree it will be a boost for Downtown. Words cannot express the positive effect the school has had on Fairlie-Poplar and the Woodruff Park areas. In the future I foresee Downtown East becoming the true center of GSU. One great thing they could do, is help fund or go into partnership with developers to build separate faculty housing in the area. Imagine maybe 8 to 10 blocks of townhouses and retail for professors to live in year round. It would attract other like minded educated people the area and have a cascading effect on the vibrancy of the area.

As for other areas around Downtown:

1. The whole cloverleaf area north of Allen Plaza needs to be torn up (its not really ever that busy or useful) and redeveloped with residential and commercial towers.

2. Focus redeveloping the Railroad district. There are some great buildings down there that are going to waste and the parking lots are hardly ever filled even during the week. That to me say there is a parking lot company just trying to take advantage of a situation, not something that exists out of necessity.

3. Close the Peachtree-Pine shelter. BUT The city should work with non-profits and perhaps Emory and the Red Cross to open a hospital to provide care to the homeless men and women truly in need in a more quiet part of town. As much as we wont to throw stones at the lazy crack heads and winos, there are far too many people with mental and physical disorders lost in the streets (and viaducts) of Downtown that just simply cant afford to get help. As a city and society, we owe it to ourselves to provide those people help. The same thing goes for the myriad of abused women and children that are among Downtown's homeless. For shiftless bums: If they are addicted to a substance, offer help and rehabilitation once. Then we should offer them the boot.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I'd like to see comparison views of downtown today and 20 years ago (from the same angle).

I'd also love to see a single shot of the city's entire urban core from Buckhead to Five Points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta