Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,377,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You better pray that it makes it - which it undoubtedly will.

Have you ever even BEEN to Southeastern Michigan? Do you not realize how beyond ridiculous this line of thinking is? Do you also not realize that if the City fails, it will drag you and the other suburbs down with it? Are you not aware of the flood of whites moving back into the City over the last decade?

Do you REALLY think that you are somehow separate, and not totally intertwined with the health of the City? Sorry, but this sounds like nothing more than wishful thinking.
What makes you think that i will be here? Like you said detroit dragged a good portion of the state down with it. People moved (a good number came here too). You think the same won't happen here? That people won't just move?

Although there is a difference. Suburban ga is growing independant of atlanta at this point. Take a look around where jobs are being created and all the retail and commercial space that has nothing to do with the city. We have strong local municipalities that are always keeping their interest on the back burner and will isolate themselves from the rest if needed. Milton county proposal, all the cities in north fulton that separated.. etc.

They created their own identity. Whether or not they can survive alone.. maybe. Some may not (like dunwoody) as they are the result of atlanta. Others that were here before really couldn't care less. Canton, rome, dallas, athens, etc.. They are less intertwined with the main hub than you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,885,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yeah, and we are also now in the top 10 metros for Asian percentage. The hispanic population has increased five-fold since 1995. But I dont see any threads celebrating this.
Then you can create one. Significant demographic shifts are worth discussing.

Quote:
Houston, Dallas, DC, Miami - they have all seen huge increases in blacks. They just didnt have the same base population that Atlanta had.
Actually, at one point, it really wasn't too dissimilar. And again, the point is that Atlanta's growth among the African-American population was much faster and more pronounced. Check out this study for starters: The New Great Migration: Black Americans' Return to the South, 1965-2000 - Brookings Institution

Quote:
Again, some people fantasize about blacks being the one and only minority group that's growing, so they play up the black population growth. Their ultimate dream is for blacks to be the majority, so they get very excited when they see news like this, posting multiple threads and telling everybody how HUGE of a deal this is.
I don't have anything to do with that. If you've got a problem with those people, take it up with them. I'm not one of them and you have no basis for assuming that I am. But at the same time, I am indeed happy to see a metro area wherein many African Americans have done well for themselves (ourselves) in such large numbers.

Quote:
The reality is that Atlanta had a large black population to begin with, so its no surprise its now the 2nd largest. Keep in mind Atlanta's population in 1990 was 2.5 million and 29% black. Now it is 5.6 and 30% black. Clearly there has been just as signifigant growth for every other group as well, its just not as drastic of a change numerically speaking since there were virtually none here in 1990.
And the drastic change among the African American population is why it represents a huge demographic shift worthy of discussion. Looking at the other metros that also had sizable Black populations, none had an increase as dramatic as Atlanta.

Quote:
If you dont like the fact that blacks wont be the sole and dominant miniority in the new multi-racial Atlanta, move to Birmingham.
Huh? What the hell does that have to do with anything? I never said anything about liking or not liking the growth of minority populations in Atlanta whatsoever; it appears as though you ASSumed that. As I stated before, the reasons why Atlanta attracted African Americans in large numbers to begin with is one of the main reasons its a prosperous metro that provides many amenities and opportunities for its residents, even those that you yourself benefit from--amenities and opportunities you wouldn't enjoy had you lived in a metro that took a different approach (i.e., Birmingham).

Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,813,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Are you saying because it isn't the only one it somehow excuses such behavior? That's a pretty feble way to look at things. Just because our people are in office all is well and they can do no wrong. Hmm yeah. I've heard that before

If anything will kill atlanta it will be people ignoring issues and playing the favourites card. Im not even going to say the race card because the same is true for the metro too.. Corruption and ineptitude is tolerated because "our" people are in office. GA is so split along race religion and party lines that it is getting sad.. It was working well while the money was flowing but now that the economy is in the sewage hole, you will see the deficiencies in government show
If you really think that is what Im saying then you missed my whole point.I guess Ill just say it:When you are a woman,black, Hispanic or even gay.In the U.S. the level of intolerance is way lower for misdeeds or poor leadership.You can only witness the treatment of Obama.Yeh I said it and I meant it.Agree or not.I witness it all the time with a few people on C-D.

Personally I am not thrilled with Obama.I like him and hes doing okay.Better than Bush,McCain or anybody else that ran recently.I give credit due to where it belongs.But those who act like he is the "Savior" are crazy.Just like anybody who actually could support Sarah Palin or Nathan Deal.All I ask is be fair and balanced.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
What makes you think that i will be here? Like you said detroit dragged a good portion of the state down with it. People moved (a good number came here too). You think the same won't happen here? That people won't just move?

Although there is a difference. Suburban ga is growing independant of atlanta at this point. Take a look around where jobs are being created and all the retail and commercial space that has nothing to do with the city. We have strong local municipalities that are always keeping their interest on the back burner and will isolate themselves from the rest if needed. Milton county proposal, all the cities in north fulton that separated.. etc.

They created their own identity. Whether or not they can survive alone.. maybe. Some may not (like dunwoody) as they are the result of atlanta. Others that were here before really couldn't care less. Canton, rome, dallas, athens, etc.. They are less intertwined with the main hub than you think
Most metro areas in Atlanta have no identity.Which means that people will always move away to the next big thing.Really Alpharetta or Dunwoody?Who cares?
Atlanta is experiencing the most growth EVER in its history.Atlantic Station.The Beltline etc....More parks,recreation,shopping.Who goes from Atlanta regularly to shop in Alpharetta or sooner than later Milton County.?What about to dine?How many 5 star or even 4 star resturants outside Atlanta?Nightlife?Yeh okay.So you tell me which is looking better?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,408,625 times
And how do you even begin to compare flight in Detroit to Atlanta anyways? Detroits flight was solely caused by the fact that nearly the WHOLE city was built around the auto industry. When that collapsed, so did Detroit.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM

For the person who D.M. This to me:
Quote:
uh, the "beltline". always mentioned but yet, mysteriously doesn't yet exist. and probably never will.
What a poor shameful idiot.They said that about The Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport(WOrlds Buisiest on and off for over 20 years).
They said it about getting the Olympics
They said it about building MARTA subway
They said it about Atlantic Station
They said it about and Aquarium and how it would go broke.It expanded and double digit increase in profits yearly.
They said the Superbowl would never come

Once again we are here where another hater is proven SO WRONG.

Look before you leap:
Conceptual drawing

To reality as we speak:
http://saportareport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/DSCN2934.jpg (broken link)
DH Stanton Park in South Fulton:
Atlanta officials to begin park renovation *| ajc.com
Stanton_101910_006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beltline/5102054183/in/set-72157625086624291/ - broken link)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 PM

257 posts, read 670,046 times
Oh wow. Very nice. I didn't know they have made so much progress with the Beltline. It will be a great addition to the city!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,379,558 times
^Absolutely wonderful! The Beltline is nothing short of amazing, even without the rail being installed yet.

BUT - I have to warn you that quoting DM's has resulted in me being banned by our local mod on multiple occasions. Be careful!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Absolutely wonderful! The Beltline is nothing short of amazing, even without the rail being installed yet.

BUT - I have to warn you that quoting DM's has resulted in me being banned by our local mod on multiple occasions. Be careful!
Thanks but too late to take it down now.Dont understand why they do that though.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,715,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
For the person who D.M. This to me:
What a poor shameful idiot.They said that about The Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport(WOrlds Buisiest on and off for over 20 years).
They said it about getting the Olympics
They said it about building MARTA subway
They said it about Atlantic Station
They said it about and Aquarium and how it would go broke.It expanded and double digit increase in profits yearly.
They said the Superbowl would never come

Once again we are here where another hater is proven SO WRONG.

Look before you leap:
Conceptual drawing

To reality as we speak:

DH Stanton Park in South Fulton:
Stanton_101910_006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beltline/5102054183/in/set-72157625086624291/ - broken link)

Where is this and are they going to fill it more...looks great but not with red clay water....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta