Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a move to Atlanta very soon. (I haven't ruled out Chattanooga.) Single female 58, kid is grown. Currently, not by choice, living in Ohio. Born here but lived in DC area until 3 years ago. College in Asheville and private school in Greenville, SC made me love the south! (Mom was from New Orleans.) I am very comfortable with a mixed neighborhood; spent nearly 30 years in Takoma Park, MD. By profession I'm an accountant--spent 10 years off taking care of ailing mother and ending a horrid marriage. In NE Ohio the only job I could find was as a landscaper (avid gardener); I would prefer crunching numbers and keeping digging in the dirt as a hobby. (Job market finally picking up here but I hate the snow--Brrrhio ate my car!)

Looked at a HUD property in Lithonia; couldn't get a bid in. What about Adamsville? There's a little place that needs rehabbing there. I don't do electric, plumbing or roofing but the rest I have done. I have a vehicle; I believe in public transport if only as a backup. If that area is too rough (I'm pretty scrappy and don't have lots of expensive toys to consider worth stealing), where could someone with a very, very limited budget ($13K hard costs only--sweat equity is my bag--I can camp out--did it before) find a relatively safe place to settle?

Urban homesteader here--I knew Capitol Hill when it was boarded up and selling for pennies so I fully understand the idea of pioneering change--I do need to live through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM

122 posts, read 186,442 times
Hello!

My name is Andy and I'll be moving to the Atlanta area this summer starting work as an engineer. I just graduated from Syracuse University, and I've lived in Syracuse all my life, so I'm only used to a small city. Here are my answers to the questions:

1. Budget - $800-900/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Apartment/Condo
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not really
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Don't care, low crime rates are most important.

I will be working in Marietta/Smyrna but have been looking at Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area as they seem to be the nicest areas north of the city.

Any suggestions for areas/apartments? Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 18,782 times
Default From Vegas to GA in two months!

I'm so glad I found this forum! My husband found out yesterday that he'll be transferred to Georgia sometime this summer, so we're in a bit of a scramble, and would appreciate any and all advice!

He'd like a 30 or so minute commute to the Perimeter/Mall area. We'd like to live in a good school district that also offers an active Little League or other community sports activities.

I'm originally from a Boston suburb of about 10k, and he's from a west Texas city of about 225k - so we'd like a town somewhere between those two. We like to take our kids to the park, go to children's museums, visit historical sites, etc. (We might enjoy hiking in the woods, but who knows! There's not much chance of that here in the desert!)

We're considering Dunwoody, Roswell, and Johns Creek. Any insight or opinions re: schools, community, and commute?

1. Budget - rent, up to $1500. Buy in 2 or so years, about $300K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House, with pool/community pool
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Commute to OTP/Mall. I'll hopefully find work in a healthcare facility.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - one in public, one in daycare
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - meh, just for the occasional baseball game when the Cubs are in town.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. working professionals with a few stay at home folks who keep their eye on things.

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
Wife just got a new job so we'll be moving to Atlanta in July while I go back to school. With that being said, we are needing a little bit of guidance as to where we should be narrowing our focus.

1. Budget - We are paying $610 per month for a 2 bed room home currently. With our current budget we can afford up to $850 per month (ideally).
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - We have gotten use to living in a single family house, so if possible, this would be best for us - but I know it may be outside of our price-range (for our first year). We are up for anything however, as we are viewing this as a learning opportunity while we decide where we really want to be in Atlanta.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - My wife will be working in Dunwoody.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - No children.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - All we are really needing here is easy access to public parks and recreational facilities. My wife and I both canoe and would like a quick/easy drive to water recreational points for canoeing/kayaking.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Though we both have a vehicle, the less we have to drive, the better - outside of possibly her commute to Dunwoody and our 'outdoors' excursions.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - No real preference here.

Thanks for taking a look here. I appreciate it if anyone had any guidance.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,612 times
Hello, my family will be moving to Atlanta in the next month from Florida. I am looking to have a 35min or below commute and would really like to rent a relatively newer single family or townhome. It seems like Duluth area gives you the most bang for your buck but I've heard the nightmares about I-85. Also, I heard Dunwood/Sandy Springs area is nice but the 400 is even worst. Help please!!!!!

1. Budget-up to $1600
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Preferrably a newer townhome(would rather avoid yard work if possible)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commutting to the North Druid Hills area near Lenox
4. Children(public school vs. private) Daycare and Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two? mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood? No strong preference, just want low crime/safe neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
Hello!

My name is Andy and I'll be moving to the Atlanta area this summer starting work as an engineer. I just graduated from Syracuse University, and I've lived in Syracuse all my life, so I'm only used to a small city. Here are my answers to the questions:

1. Budget - $800-900/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Apartment/Condo
4. Children(public school vs. private) None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not really
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Don't care, low crime rates are most important.

I will be working in Marietta/Smyrna but have been looking at Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area as they seem to be the nicest areas north of the city.

Any suggestions for areas/apartments? Thanks!
Vinings would work for you and it's a reverse commute, look in zip code 30039. Maybe even Smyrna would work

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,159 times
I am considering ATL in about a year or two. I will possibly be working from home on my Ph.D. and going to work during the day. Former resident while an undergrad many years ago (2 decades ago). I need a nice, quiet, safe area for me (senior) and my developmentally disabled adult (age 24) son. I have relatives in many parts of ATL and I really want to be near grandchildren in Snellville,GA. We live in rural area in California now, crime rate=0.
1. Budget~Starting as low as $700 will go up once I get a job. Will find offers before I move. In Education field
2. House/Condo/Townhome?~Any
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)~Commute, my own transportation
4. Children(public school vs. private)-Zero kids, yet I have an adult special needs son, what kind of care for him is in ATL?
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two~Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?~Important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.~Rural ok, quiet, senior living

Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbob6 View Post
I'm so glad I found this forum! My husband found out yesterday that he'll be transferred to Georgia sometime this summer, so we're in a bit of a scramble, and would appreciate any and all advice!

He'd like a 30 or so minute commute to the Perimeter/Mall area. We'd like to live in a good school district that also offers an active Little League or other community sports activities.

I'm originally from a Boston suburb of about 10k, and he's from a west Texas city of about 225k - so we'd like a town somewhere between those two. We like to take our kids to the park, go to children's museums, visit historical sites, etc. (We might enjoy hiking in the woods, but who knows! There's not much chance of that here in the desert!)

We're considering Dunwoody, Roswell, and Johns Creek. Any insight or opinions re: schools, community, and commute?

1. Budget - rent, up to $1500. Buy in 2 or so years, about $300K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House, with pool/community pool
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Commute to OTP/Mall. I'll hopefully find work in a healthcare facility.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - one in public, one in daycare
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - meh, just for the occasional baseball game when the Cubs are in town.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. working professionals with a few stay at home folks who keep their eye on things.

Thank you!

Hello,

I just wanted to suggest Duluth, in Gwinnett county. We have a great school system and all the other things you mentioned AND it's less than 30 minutes to Perimeter mall UNLESS your husband will be traveling during rush hour. If I can help you with specific questions, you can message me.

Good luck on your move,

Al

PS: We also have great medical centers here.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,544 times
I lived in Atlanta 3 years ago for three years and loved it but had an opportunity to advance in my career in DC. Well I have done that and am now ready to move back to Atlanta. I am looking forward to now experiencing Atlanta as a 30 something, versus the club hopping, boy chasing 20 something that I was

I am looking forward to experiencing the culture and southern cosy comforts and nooks that Atlanta has to offer.

Budget- $1400/month max as I will be saving to purchase.
I would prefer anything from a 2 bedroom condo/apt to a townhouse, depending on the area
At the moment I am looking for employment (if anyone has any leads in the education administrative positions I certainly would not mind commuting to work, as I will be bringing my car.
I would prefer urban/city living. Would not at all be interested in living outside of the perimeter.
Access to public transportation is not important to me, but if I wanted to cab it some nights I don't want that to be an issue either.
I would like the demographics to be "young professional", but not so young where feels a college dorm or campus. mid to late 30 somethings crowd.

I am single and would be living alone, so safety is high on my priority list. Speaking of "single", DC dating was the absolute PITS!! Has the dating changed at all in Atlanta in the last 3 years, when I was there the dating scene was great!

If I need to add any info, please let me know. Thanks for any and all replies!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
Hello, my fiance and I are looking to rent a townhouse in a a good area in Atlanta

1. Budget: 800-1000 per month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Townhouse
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public School
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. middle-class, family oriented, culturaly diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta