Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,188 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to Atlanta in April and I wanted to know what are nice areas to live with good schools that is not a bad commute to the Atlanta VA Hospital. I have a budget for Apartments of $700-900/mo., I have 1 child that will be in Middle School (so schools are very important). I prefer a suburb area with diversity. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,644 times
Hello, I will be joining the Atlanta community pretty soon and need a little help.

Budget is $0 - $1500. Depending on the value, I'd like a (Studio / 1BR / 2BR) luxury condo/apt in an upscale, newer building.

My girlfriend lives in Duluth/Suwanee, and I'd like to live reasonably near there, or even in those neighborhoods if they're nice enough.

I will commute to an office downtown in NE Atlanta. My hours will probably be something like 8AM - 7PM for the days I'm in Atlanta, will that be early/late enough to avoid traffic? Either way, I am trying to keep my commute to less than an hour, the shorter the better.

Thank you for all the help.

Last edited by Yorian; 03-18-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,157 times
Moving from California to Atlanta in June of 2013. I plan on going to Clark Atlanta university. I have an undergrad degree in sociology and want to join the grad program at clark Atlanta. I plan to live alone and off campus. I plan to have a couple thousand saved for deposit and first months rent but I also want to have a job set up before I move. Will it be hard to find a job in Atlanta I'm really nervous about surviving because my closest family is in Memphis. Please help, any suggestions welcome

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
Hi, I am from Upstate NY and am looking to move to Atlanta very soon for work. Is a $30,000 before taxes salary going to cut it? Here are a few more details:

1. Budget--I am thinking I will need to do the roomate thing to spend as little as possible, maybe around $400-$500 a month?
2. House/Condo/Townhome?--doesn't matter to me!
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)--work from home but will be out of the house a lot doing sales calls and traveling for work
4. Children(public school vs. private)--No kids!
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two--mis would be great
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?--Would be very nice to be able to take public transport into the city
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.--doesn't matter as long as its safe!

I wold also like to be fairly close to the airport as I will be traveling for work.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM

146 posts, read 332,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoatl View Post
Moving from California to Atlanta in June of 2013. I plan on going to Clark Atlanta university. I have an undergrad degree in sociology and want to join the grad program at clark Atlanta. I plan to live alone and off campus. I plan to have a couple thousand saved for deposit and first months rent but I also want to have a job set up before I move. Will it be hard to find a job in Atlanta I'm really nervous about surviving because my closest family is in Memphis. Please help, any suggestions welcome
I lived in ATL for 16 years (came from NY). Atlanta isn't that hard to live in if you have a profession. The thing is many people don't have a profession and they have a JOB (Just over broke). Atlanta has so many people that can replace you at your "JOB". For example, my mother is a nurse. She was working at Mrs.Winners until her NY license was transferred to GA. After it transferred, she spent the next 13 years in ATL as a nurse. It wasn't hard for her to get another job or leave one. Because of her experience in nursing (20 years) she would literally apply to Emory on Monday, and start working on Friday. But when she worked at Mrs.Winners, that was the 8th job she applied to till she was hired.

The cost of living was better (prior to the olympics ) but since the Olympics everything has gone up. It's not as costly as living in NY, but you can make decent money and still have some change left over in your bank account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready for some sunshine View Post
Hi, I am from Upstate NY and am looking to move to Atlanta very soon for work. Is a $30,000 before taxes salary going to cut it? Here are a few more details:

1. Budget--I am thinking I will need to do the roomate thing to spend as little as possible, maybe around $400-$500 a month?
2. House/Condo/Townhome?--doesn't matter to me!
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)--work from home but will be out of the house a lot doing sales calls and traveling for work
4. Children(public school vs. private)--No kids!
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two--mis would be great
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?--Would be very nice to be able to take public transport into the city
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.--doesn't matter as long as its safe!

I wold also like to be fairly close to the airport as I will be traveling for work.
Being a fellow New Yorker I will say these things to you

1. Be ready to have conversations with complete strangers. I know in NY no on has time to literally talk. Because everyone is in a rush to make money so they can afford a $3,000 one bedroom apartment over their head.

2. The summer heat is so intense you can see the heat wave if you stare down an empty street. Don't go outside unless you have to. The humidity is so thick, you'll choke while inhaling that first summer you're in ATL. By your 3rd summer you'll get used to it.

3. MARTA (the bust system) sucks. SO get a car as quickly as possible.

4. rush hour in ATL is 2:40pm - 7pm then again from 6am- 9am. Plan accordingly. Your Northern family thinks ATL is "County and rural" show them how many cars are on the road during rush hour it makes Manhattan look like a kiddie pool. They'll quickly change their minds about calling Atlanta, Country.

5. IF you want a good place to get things go to Buford Highway. That whole stretch of road is nothing but businesses owned by lmmigrants. It's a great place to get any foreign food you can think of, clothing, meet people from other countries and just enjoy the ethnicity of ATL. You'll hear just abuot every langauge known to man being spoken on Buford Highway (which stretches from Atlanta, Dekalb County to Gwinette county.

6. Every county around Downtown has "wealth people". You'll know it when you start seeing really clean neighborhoods, gates and really big houses. Also, a lot of police cars. So visiting those locations gives you some insight into the "upper middle class/millionares, and how they live their lives.

7. The schooling is as good/better/worse than NY. It literally depends on where you live. I lived in various places, but when I lived in Cobb County. My daughter's school test scores blew half of the schools in Nassau County, NY out the water. And my daughter was in a public school.

And that's it for now, I don't want this thread getting to long. Lastly, remember in ATL clubbin' is the thing to do. That's how most people spend their time, the people with families travel to the other nearby states for their attractions.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,892 times
Hi I'm thinking about moving to Atlanta from northwest indiana (up by Chicago ) n the next couple months. I have a job that will transfer, money saved up, a car, ect. I need to know if there are apartments in decent area's for between 400-600? And I have a 3 year old girl so I will have to find a day care or preschool also. Can anyone help me with just general info like that? I've never been to Atlanta so I don't really know anything lol I just want to get away from where I'm at now
Thanks

Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 12,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
I don't mean this to be funny or derogatory at all but sexual preference should be on the list. If you are homophobic, Atlanta may not be the city for you. I say this because when I first moved to Atl. I coulndn't tell a gay person from a strait person unless it was very obvious. After living there for 15 years, I can tell a gay person from a mile away. I have no problem with gay people but if you do, you may want to think twice before moving to Atlanta. At least inside the Perimeter.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM

I would look in the Kennesaw area or perhaps Gwinnett or maybe Roswell. They are family oriented areas outside the city. It depends on where you work because the commute to the city can be rough during peak traffic times.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah View Post
I need an update on some good neighborhoods that are close to GTech and the airport. I want to relocate Jan 2013 to complete my bachelor. If anyone could help let me know.

Thanks in advance!
It depends on how much you want to pay. I lived in Home Park which is the large student housing area for Tech for many years. It was cheap but it was also kind of a dump. I had 2 roommates and paid $300 a month in rent for a little house off of 14th street. Now there are alot more options in that area with Atlantic Station. Can't tell you much without knowing your monthly budget.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 11,656 times
Hi everyone,

I am moving to Atlanta to work close to the airport next month. I come from Germany, and green card are on its way, so everyhting are fine with this. My annual salary are around USD 60.000,- so I have fair bit of money to rent and car, but can people help out regarding this. Which areas are nice places to stay???, I am single man, end 20´s, so want to be in "youth" area kind of place! I have set approx. 800-1000 USD/month to rent, suppose that should get me starting. I think I will lease a car, but it is difficult finding places where I can lease, can almost only find buy a car pages... And does anyone know what the approx. start car insurance are??? Thank you for a confused German! Looking forward coming to Atlanta though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta