Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 24,952 times

Advertisements

Hi! I may have to take a job in Smyrna and will have to relocate. I am looking for a single-family home with a decent-sized yard (e.g., .20 acres) and at least 3BR/2BA. I'm looking to spend $400-$450K on the house. The struggle is that I don't want to have to commute more than 20-30 mins one way. Are there any good neighborhoods in Atlanta that would work? We are in our mid-30's and thinking of having a child soon as well but would like to be close to shopping, dining (not chain restaurants) and a park (for our 2 small dogs), if at all possible. Anyone have suggestions? Also, if it can't be done in Atlanta proper, what other cities might work? I don't know that I want to live in Smyrna or Mableton b/c the other posts make those places sound very suburban, with not much to do.

Any suggestions would be so helpful - I've driven in Atlanta traffic and would really, really like to avoid it during rush hour commutes!! Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Smyrna seems to be your best bet. It's 2 minutes from Vinings (very fun area) and only about 15-20 minutes from Buckhead and life in town. Check out these neighborhoods: Paces Ferry Park, Heritage at Vinings. Rebecca Mohandiss is a fantastic realtor who deals with Smyrna and Vinings. She is at Rebecca Mohandiss Realty Group

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc_spark View Post
Hi! I may have to take a job in Smyrna and will have to relocate. I am looking for a single-family home with a decent-sized yard (e.g., .20 acres) and at least 3BR/2BA. I'm looking to spend $400-$450K on the house. The struggle is that I don't want to have to commute more than 20-30 mins one way. Are there any good neighborhoods in Atlanta that would work? We are in our mid-30's and thinking of having a child soon as well but would like to be close to shopping, dining (not chain restaurants) and a park (for our 2 small dogs), if at all possible. Anyone have suggestions? Also, if it can't be done in Atlanta proper, what other cities might work? I don't know that I want to live in Smyrna or Mableton b/c the other posts make those places sound very suburban, with not much to do.

Any suggestions would be so helpful - I've driven in Atlanta traffic and would really, really like to avoid it during rush hour commutes!! Thank you in advance!!
If you are working in Smyrna and wanting to live more in town, you'd be doing a reverse commute for the most part, and not dealing with heavy, rush-hour traffic. 75N in the mornings is easy, and 75S in the afternoons is generally easy until you hit just half a mile from the 75/85 split.

That being said, Smyrna/Vinings is not that bad of a place to live, unless you are a real city, small shops and cafes type of person.

I live about 3 miles west of midtown off of Marietta Blvd. Almost all of my grocery, home improvement, etc, shopping is done in Smyrna and Vinings area. Rarely ever takes me more than about 15 minutes to get up there, even in rush hour.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
I'd definitely look at Vinings. For a quick commute you'll have to stay in the northwest quadrant of the city (either inside or outside the perimeter).

Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
I was going to say Vinings as well; it's got some nice urban qualities to it. Have a good friend who lived there for a while (on the suburban end close to I-285) who moved a few miles into Smyrna off Cumberland Blvd, which is a suburban as you can get. Vinings is a relatively quick trip to Buckhead.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 24,952 times
Thank you all - it sounds like there really isn't a good place in the city of Atlanta that will work then?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
You could also look in Buckhead: Garden Hills, Peachtree Hills, Howell Mill area...you'll get much more for your money in Smyrna but more charm in these areas.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Thank you all - it sounds like there really isn't a good place in the city of Atlanta that will work then?
Just another consideration ... I suspect your property taxes will be a lot higher in Fulton County than in Cobb, and that your water bill in the City of Atlanta will be at least somewhat higher than anywhere in Cobb.

There may be advantages to living on the Fulton side of the river, I dunno...

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

97 posts, read 355,639 times
Quote:
You can definately be in Atlanta in that price range. Very doable.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM

145 posts, read 361,497 times
Whittier Mill Village is a 125 + year old Historic neighborhood just South of Smyrna, in Atlanta! Prices for 3/2 homes range from $275,000 to $350,000. There is a 21 acre Park IN the neighborhood and a Playground. PM me for more info, and visit Whittier Mill Village Neighborhood Association. I am a Realtor, and the President of the HOA. I have lived here for 7 years. There is also a neighborhood next to us called Riverside which has bigger houses if you need/want a bigger house. There are other neighborhoods nearby as well. WMV is very special, though There are no homes on the market here now that would work for you but there is about to be a perfect one, close to the Park (less than 1 block).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta