Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The FOX Theater Change Its Name?
YES- It Should Not Be Associated With Fox TV or News 2 5.71%
NO- People Will Not Confuse The Names 33 94.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I solidly hate Fox "News" and have never thought for one second they had anything to do with the Fox Theater. As some one has pointed out already, the Fox Theater has been around longer than Rupert Murdoch has been alive. How many people/places can claim that?

For more on the theater chain, check this out:

Fox Theatres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was 13 when I saw 'GWTW' at the Fox--with my Dad. the stars in the ceiling were beautiful. I was his 'Bonnie'.

Yes, 'GWTW'. Except that there are those who care enough to do something in the ATL.

Come what may--I hope we can save 'The Fox' again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When I used to watch Family Ties, I often wondered if Michael J. Fox was owned by Fox News. He should have changed his name to Michael J. MSNBC.
Re: The OP's comment about Fox News being 'soiled': Have you checked network/cable news ratings lately?
Very funny. Good one.. Seriously guys, I doubt people make a stink of it. I do think that Fox News should consider changing their names to either: Faux News, or Faux Noose... just ideas. In reality, it doesn't matter. Distinguishing it as the Willam Fox threatre is not bad, but people don't care. It is what it is, and the idea of associating the theatre to a news network never crossed my mind.

remaining removed by moderator as it quotes a thread that has been deleted.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-25-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
When I used to watch Family Ties, I often wondered if Michael J. Fox was owned by Fox News. He should have changed his name to Michael J. MSNBC.
Re: The OP's comment about Fox News being 'soiled': Have you checked network/cable news ratings lately?
Maybe the animal should change its name now that the entire lexicon of anything with an F an O and an X has been sullied.

The troublesome thing about the current debate over FOX News is not that those on the left don't like it (no surprise there) but that the rest of the news media seems so in bed with the current administration. One of the things that has kept politics on an even keel (or at least close to one) is the free press. Hopefully an unbiased free press. However, the rest of the "mainstream" are hook, line and sinker in step with the left. That is what scares me.

Oh, if anyone has a rep point to spare and likes this even a little bit, send me some love. My current rating is 666 and I would like to be off that. Unnerves me just a tad. This will be my one and only time to grovel

Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Thanks to the mysterious member who repped me out of the devil's territory!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
I have no problem with fox news.

its msnbc, cnn, and the other major networks that make my blood boil.

the name of the theatre is fine and i don't foresee it changing for the reason you specified.

besides the OP, i doubt anyone has taken issue with it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Maybe the animal should change its name now that the entire lexicon of anything with an F an O and an X has been sullied.

The troublesome thing about the current debate over FOX News is not that those on the left don't like it (no surprise there) but that the rest of the news media seems so in bed with the current administration. One of the things that has kept politics on an even keel (or at least close to one) is the free press. Hopefully an unbiased free press. However, the rest of the "mainstream" are hook, line and sinker in step with the left. That is what scares me.

Oh, if anyone has a rep point to spare and likes this even a little bit, send me some love. My current rating is 666 and I would like to be off that. Unnerves me just a tad. This will be my one and only time to grovel
I'm in a 100% agreement with you saintmarks!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Have you checked network/cable news ratings lately?
Yes shock jock entertainment gets good ratings. There are plenty of idiots in this country who like dumb entertainment. Fox entertainment does well on cable, just like the WWE.

Great for them.

But let's not forget that the entire corporate media - Viacom, News Corp, GE, Disney, Time Warner - they're all inherently conservative. While one GE network, has couple hours of liberal programming, they also have the same amount of time dedicated to a conservative program and have Pat Buchanan on virtually throughout the day it seems. CNBC is a wingnut lovefest. CNN also have conservative programming, but no liberal programs.

Fox is worse in that it has a very rigid and deep tie to the GOP and is openly at war with anything that does not fit that mold. The other networks are more sly about their conservative nature.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yes shock jock entertainment gets good ratings. There are plenty of idiots in this country who like dumb entertainment. Fox entertainment does well on cable, just like the WWE.
This VERY typical characterization of the average viewer of Fox News is sophomoric, transparent and laughable.
The Liberal Community, having long ago lost all sense of rationality and intellectual curiosity, has made the desperate choice to resort to the last refuge of emotionality, name-calling and vitriol.
It all sounds rather pathetic and infantile IMO.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
This VERY typical characterization of the average viewer of Fox News is sophomoric, transparent and laughable.
The Liberal Community, having long ago lost all sense of rationality and intellectual curiosity, has made the desperate choice to resort to the last refuge of emotionality, name-calling and vitriol.
It all sounds rather pathetic and infantile IMO.
The folks who live and die by sensationalism and sound bytes are generally the extremists in both camps, as I'm sure most are acutely aware. Such is the native of talk radio and many of the so-called "news" programs these days.

Do we have to degenerate to the same level? And is it any wonder that many informed voters have decided to scrap both television and radio as primary news sources?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
If FOX is too over to the right for you who cares, the liberals have every major newspaper pretty much, and every other major network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta