Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,451 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for a really safe area that is close to the center of Atlanta. By safe I mean it is as safe as Kennesaw and Alpheretta (you can see their crime statistics) but a lot closer than they are to down town Atlanta. Does such an area exist?

Also, if I live in Alpheretta or the Sandy Plains (outside Marietta) would that be too hard to have a good social life as a young single person?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
The Smyrna/Vinings area would have the perfect combination of being somewhat Kennesaw/Alpharetta like, but closer in and great for a single girl.

The Smyrna/Vinings area is very safe and very popular with singles.

Definitely check it out and make it your priority. Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,451 times
Thanks a lot. Is Vining safer than Smyrna? The statistics on C-D shows that Smyrna is n't as safe as Kennesaw or Alpheretta.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Smyrna may not be as "statistically" safe...but it is definitely safe. So is Vinings. Don't worry.

The thing is that Kennesaw and Alpharetta are extremely safe.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thanks a lot. Is Vining safer than Smyrna? The statistics on C-D shows that Smyrna is n't as safe as Kennesaw or Alpheretta.

Thanks for the info.
Smyrna is actually a fairly large and varied area, and it has its good parts and its bad parts. The good parts are quite safe.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
I would highly recommend dunwoody. Dunwoody, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the area between the freeway and north to the river is safe.

The south part of dunwoody is often called "perimeter center" which has a major shopping mall called perimeter mall and most recently a large selection of condos and luxury apartments. There are many small office parks and tons of free standing restaurants.

It is zip code 30346 and to the north is 30338 i think.

A main advantage of the area is the marta subway station at the mall which will get you downtown or midtown in 15-20 minutes.

I read that the average age is 27 and 99% of people in perimeter center are renters.

Most of the crime i saw on the crime map is theft reports from the mall, car break ins and car thefts. But there can be occasional crime...a few years back the manager of the honey ham store next to the mall was found robbed and murdered christmas eve/week so no where is really safe.

The city of dunwoody was offically formed in the last few years so historical crime data has to come from the dekalb police dept. (dunwoody police started up april 1, 2009)

Go to the dunwoody police website and click crime maps and you can see all the types and locations of crimes.

Also, there are some recent threads about dunwoody which includes visitors opinions of apts in the area.

good luck.

Dunwoody Police Department

Search CrimeReports.com ga&searchButton.x=51&searchButton.y=11&searchButto n=SEARCH

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
This is the crime report map for 2 weeks beginning 9-8.

The second thumbnail is the same area without thefts/shoplifting and thefts from vehicles.

The robberies were a bank robbery and a purse snatching.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is a more closely located neighborhood around Atlanta that is as safe as Kennesaw and Alpharetta?-cit-dun-2-wks-beg-9   Where is a more closely located neighborhood around Atlanta that is as safe as Kennesaw and Alpharetta?-cit-dun-2-weeks-no-theft.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyboy2008; 09-22-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy2008 View Post
I would highly recommend dunwoody. Dunwoody, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the area between the freeway and north to the river is safe.

The south part of dunwoody is often called "perimeter center" which has a major shopping mall called perimeter mall and most recently a large selection of condos and luxury apartments. There are many small office parks and tons of free standing restaurants.

It is zip code 30346 and to the north is 30338 i think.

A main advantage of the area is the marta subway station at the mall which will get you downtown or midtown in 15-20 minutes.

I read that the average age is 27 and 99% of people in perimeter center are renters.

Most of the crime i saw on the crime map is theft reports from the mall, car break ins and car thefts. But there can be occasional crime...a few years back the manager of the honey ham store next to the mall was found robbed and murdered christmas eve/week so no where is really safe.

The city of dunwoody was offically formed in the last few years so historical crime data has to come from the dekalb police dept. (dunwoody police started up april 1, 2009)

Go to the dunwoody police website and click crime maps and you can see all the types and locations of crimes.

Also, there are some recent threads about dunwoody which includes visitors opinions of apts in the area.

good luck.

Dunwoody Police Department

Search CrimeReports.com ga&searchButton.x=51&searchButton.y=11&searchButto n=SEARCH

I agree...

Along with looking in the Smyrna/Vinings areas, I highly recommend the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area...based on your criteria.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 PM

13 posts, read 43,021 times
You should get your license to carry a concealed firearm and do so. Then you can go pretty much anywhere and feel relatively safe.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 AM

23,449 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer View Post
You should get your license to carry a concealed firearm and do so. Then you can go pretty much anywhere and feel relatively safe.
Good point.

I recommend the city of Decatur to the OP. It's 6 miles from the city center, and you very seldom hear about even incidents of petty crime. The DPD is very much on top of things IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta