Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:07 PM

31 posts, read 180,357 times

Advertisements

I agree with the previous post. Gwinnett County has several high schools with great athletic depts. It is also a very diverse county. There is alot of very nice yet affordable neighborhoods in that area. I actually lived in Northern Gwinnett County for a few years around 1999 and I loved it. I know it has changed a good bit since then, but I still go over that way to shop and visit friends and I think it's a great area. I am a former high school teacher and I had a few friends that taught at Parkview back in the late 90's and they loved it. I also had several neighbors with kids in school at North Gwinnett in the late 90's and they seemed to really enjoy school and they were all very active in the schools sports teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 37,670 times
ajandjj2000- I noticed you stated that you are a former high school teacher. Could you tell me about your experience getting a job in the area? My husband and I are relocating to the area. I have put in several applications with a few counties, including Fulton and the surrounding area. Just wondering what to expect. By the way I teach elementary, although I am certified K-8.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:35 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,669,243 times
Carpe Diem

If you really want to land a job, consider applying for some middle school positions. It is my understanding that the elementary market is the tougher of the three....

Just a thought, though you really have to like middle schoolers and land at a decent school.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 AM

52 posts, read 212,246 times
this is a great thread b/c my hubby and I narrowed our search down to Roswell and Alpharetta. we moved to marietta and entered into a lease/purchase agreement and lived in a 3-year-old home in marietta on smyrna powder springs road close to austell and smyrna. i was not impressed by the school (birney elementary), the local shopping, nothing really.

so after living in marietta for 4 mths, we bought an older townhome in Roswell. i have only been here for 2 weeks. i am off of mansell road. we expect to upgrade into a home in the next 2 years. i am close to everything and my husband's work commute to Norcross is about 20 mins.

i read up on the local public and private schools in my immediate area, and they are rated as some of the top in the county and state.

what is the real story? did i purchase well?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

31 posts, read 180,357 times
Carpe Diem- You may want to research schools in the area you want to live in and then send your resume and cover letter directly to the principal at the school you are interested in. Typically this will get you noticed sooner than a resume in the pile at the county office. Another strategy that has always worked for me is going to the county job fair. When you go to the job fair you get some face to face time with a school administrator and assuming you can make a good impression and make yourself stand out from the rest of the crowd you will probably get a second interview and maybe even an on the spot offer.

I would say that the schools in North Fulton county are the better ones and that many of the suburban Atlanta counties have good schools (Forsyth, Cherokee, Gwinnett etc). If you have questions about a specific county or school PM me and I will tell you what I know about it.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
I am relocating from Chicago to Atlanta. Looking in the Roswell or Sandy Springs location. My job will be in Alpharetta. Which area is best to live in far as public trans, crime, cost of housing, and are there any community colleges?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,807 times
Be prepared for long commutes from any of the areas mentioned.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM

305 posts, read 417,120 times
Alpharetta is more snobby and 'family' oriented if you could say that.
Imo its alot more judgmental too, the people. Not nearly as bad as Johns Creek though, in that department.
I remember telling a lady at a job I was applying to around Alpha/Johns Creek I have to take the bus cause I dont have a car, and she looked at me like I was a plebian. Like really? Yes lady, there are people that exist that cant afford cars. Jeez. Only part of Atlanta I dont really like tbh. Most people there arent like that though, and I spent some good childhood years there so I still like it, but those yuppies or whatever kinda people like that are, moving/living out there who thinks like that sucks.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
Can you tell me which areas of Roswell I should avoid? We are looking in a new neighborhood called Centennial in particular.
Centennial is further south and east as compared to most of Roswell. When we were looking for a new home (two months ago) it seemed more 1960s than we liked. (We ended up in Crabapple, where things are more 2000s.)

This page shows crime stats for Roswell. I'd avoid the areas in lighter colors. Unfortunately, much of Centennial is in one of the lighter blue areas.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,943,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Be prepared for long commutes from any of the areas mentioned.
???
Roswell is right next to Alpharetta. Sandy Springs isn't much farther. Just down 400. I'd do Roswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta