Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,913 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of registering my child for public school. Because of a pending move I have had to check with two different county public school systems (Cherokee and Fulton). They both want a copy of her social security card. Why? And how can this be legal? Don't they at least have to divulge the purpose of recording her number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
You can get a waiver, easily in my experience (and most people do)

I think it is left from the days when the ss# was the ID number that schools used to track students.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM

152 posts, read 525,365 times
I imagine they do it so they can confirm your child is who you say they are.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,178 times
I don't know about Georgia, but here in Minnesota the three districts where my kids have been enrolled over the years have all asked for SSN but I have always declined to give my kids' SSN. It's never been a prblem. Then again, I've never been asked for my kid's SSN CARD.

I'll be interested to hear what happens when parents refuse to divulge their kids' SSN or submit a photocopy of the card.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
I imagine they do it so they can confirm your child is who you say they are.
Isn't that the purpose of the certified birth certificate?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,947 times
They ask for the ssn for informational purposes, but you can sign a waiver so you don't have to give it out. But they shouldn't be asking for the card, maybe it's just a newbie in the office.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
You know...

Isn't it about time we had a separate numbering system for student identification throughout school and college?

It's rediculous to keep using the SSN numbers for student identification an everything else.. When I was in college they posted SSN's on the wall with test scores.

SSN's need to be kept private and there needs to be another layer of security so that identity thieves cannot just fill out a credit card application with someone else's SSN.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
They ask for the ssn for informational purposes, but you can sign a waiver so you don't have to give it out. But they shouldn't be asking for the card, maybe it's just a newbie in the office.
This is no newbie in the office. This is what is posted on the school's website as officially required by the school: "The following documents are needed to register a child at [school]:... Social Security Number and copy of card"

But according to the Fulton County School System website: "
Social security numbers are voluntary. Waivers are available in local schools. Applications for social security numbers are also available in local schools. Migrant number is acceptable."

I'm still not sure what purpose there is behind requesting the number, especially if the act of providing it is voluntary. But then I should remember that this is after all a public school system, and "purpose" or "sense" shouldn't really be expected for any of their policies.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This is no newbie in the office. This is what is posted on the school's website as officially required by the school: "The following documents are needed to register a child at [school]:... Social Security Number and copy of card"

But according to the Fulton County School System website: "Social security numbers are voluntary. Waivers are available in local schools. Applications for social security numbers are also available in local schools. Migrant number is acceptable."

I'm still not sure what purpose there is behind requesting the number, especially if the act of providing it is voluntary. But then I should remember that this is after all a public school system, and "purpose" or "sense" shouldn't really be expected for any of their policies.

And you are still willing to have your child educated at a place where policies have no purpose or sense? Hmmmmm...that's odd. I think if I held that opinion of a school system then I certainly wouldn't be enrolling my child there.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And you are still willing to have your child educated at a place where policies have no purpose or sense? Hmmmmm...that's odd. I think if I held that opinion of a school system then I certainly wouldn't be enrolling my child there.
Are you offering to fund my child's private school education?

Even if money weren't an issue, private schools have their own issues. Ever hear their claims that their children are a year ahead of the public schools? Do you wonder how they accomplish that? I don't have to wonder anymore: I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: