Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

77 posts, read 311,215 times

Advertisements

When I registered my children (Cobb county) I signed a waiver to not have to give a SSN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
You know...

Isn't it about time we had a separate numbering system for student identification throughout school and college?

It's rediculous to keep using the SSN numbers for student identification an everything else.. When I was in college they posted SSN's on the wall with test scores.

SSN's need to be kept private and there needs to be another layer of security so that identity thieves cannot just fill out a credit card application with someone else's SSN.
Not anymore. We just finished a college orientation, and were specifically told that they now give student ID's instead of using SSN's. I was glad to hear it!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,638,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Are you offering to fund my child's private school education?

Even if money weren't an issue, private schools have their own issues. Ever hear their claims that their children are a year ahead of the public schools? Do you wonder how they accomplish that? I don't have to wonder anymore: I know.
LOL Bill... I am with you. I personally attended private schools and I have no desire to subject my children to the same myopic life experiences in their formative years. And the practice of red sirting kindergarteners? Puh-leeze!

But hey, some parents want that for their kids. Live and let live.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM

593 posts, read 2,897,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not anymore. We just finished a college orientation, and were specifically told that they now give student ID's instead of using SSN's. I was glad to hear it!
That's great news.

Now if they'd just keep those @#$%& credit card companies and their "recruiters" off campus.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,895,750 times
When I registered my child in elementary school here she didn't have an SSN. She was on L2 status - 100% legally in the USA and eligible to attend school, but not eligible to hold an SSN.

I had to sign a waiver although I disliked this very much because the language forced me to make an untrue statement. I wasn't declining to provide her SSN. She simply didn't have one. However the school administrator said my only choices were to provide the number or sign the waiver. The law says one of those must be provided. I bet the state legislators who framed that law had no idea that there is a class of people who are lawfully in the country but not allowed to have SSNs.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
When I registered my child in elementary school here she didn't have an SSN. She was on L2 status - 100% legally in the USA and eligible to attend school, but not eligible to hold an SSN.

I had to sign a waiver although I disliked this very much because the language forced me to make an untrue statement. I wasn't declining to provide her SSN. She simply didn't have one. However the school administrator said my only choices were to provide the number or sign the waiver. The law says one of those must be provided. I bet the state legislators who framed that law had no idea that there is a class of people who are lawfully in the country but not allowed to have SSNs.
They probably did, but that's not the group of folks they were concerned with when this requirement was put in place. I can only imagine that their theory at the time was "if we ask the illegals to give us SSN's when they enroll their kids, they'll probably run from the building- that'll get rid of 'em!"

Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM

214 posts, read 1,982,776 times
I registered my child for K in Fayette County and had to have a copy of the ss card. I also had to for both of my kids for the daycare. I thought that a little strange and now I am a little worried since I made copies and gave it.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,399 times
I imagine it's much as Bob said, to keep illegals out of the school system.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:11 PM

200 posts, read 984,018 times
Kids are the newest targets for identity theft.

Families are usually unaware of identity theft until the child applies for to college or for student loans and scholarships and is denied because of huge credit problems.

Could take years and expensive legal assistance to get sorted out.

It may make sense these days to place a credit lock on your kids accounts with the 3 major credit bureaus so that no credit can be opened under their names without your permission.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,867 times
I just ran across this thread (google search: School Enrollment SSN). For anyone that is looking for this information, here is a statement of fact from DOJ -- available here

[url]http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/edu/documents/plylerfact.pdf[/url]

Excerpt from the document
However, a school district may not prevent your child from enrolling in school if you choose not to provide a social security number.

I have been refused treatment at doctor's offices before (not emergency rooms as that is required by law) for not willing to disclose my child's SSN. This whole SSN business for treatment or education is silly anyway. In my experience (as a computer security guy for 10+ years) anyone that asks for SSNs doesn't have the common sense to protect it -- so they should stop asking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: