Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,238,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I do know that the ummm...what's the white cars with the ugh blue lights...ummm..Department of Public Safety...They stay on the Downtown Connector...yeesh!
They usually only bother commercial vehicles, Most people refer to them as DOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,260,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Heck you don't even need to be in a car. They can stand there on an overpass.
The device and the user has to be visible from 500 feet and not obstructed or on an overpass where it can't be reasonably seen by oncoming traffic. So you can't sit facing away from traffic on the far side of an overpass. The vehicle has to be marked.

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7

GEORGIA CODE
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 14. USE OF SPEED DETECTION AND TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL MONITORING DEVICES
ARTICLE 2. SPEED DETECTION DEVICES

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7 (2008)

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,798 times
No kidding! I recently got a speeding ticket on Freedom Parkway for going 54 in what is apparently a 35 zone (right at the turn after the bridge where you can follow the road to the left or turn right to go to the Carter Center--right where you won't see the officer until it's too late!). 35 Zone??? What the hell? That road feels like at least a 45 zone, if not 50. I've since been driving 35 on it (because I can't afford another speeding ticket) and I feel almost tempted to put on my hazard blinkers to alert the drivers behind me. It's unnaturally slow!

Old 06-07-2009, 03:30 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,391,206 times
the dot recently made life hard on them. before they would drive about and run over the median and nab you. but with more and more divider fences appearing that has become a tactic of the old.

i know some double laser you to see if you are paying attention. if you keep on going you get pulled over. typically you can see them before they can see you though.

also, the gsp will try to get you to admit guilt and waive your rights this way. don't do it, no matter what the charge. this will annoy them, they will threaten you with a felony (which it isnt) and get out of your hair fast (assuming nothing else set them off) without them having time to fish around for other violations (tint, lights etc). they are trained and used to always be right and think they know more, so butting them will annoy them. you play your cards right you end up with a 25$ equipment violation instead of a 28 over ticket. "i pulled you over for not wearing a seatbelt and doing 82 in a 55" "im sure i had my seatbelt on" "what?!?!" "i was watching you and you didnt have it on. lieing to me is a felony" "well to tell you the truth im not sure where it was.. could be either way" "im going to ask you again did you have it on" "i cannot reccal". notice there was no further mention of the other charge. etc

state patrol do not have to be visible and can hide whenever they wish. however hiding is generally inconvenient for them so i haven't seen them hide ever. typically they are more obvious than local who do try to hide as much as legally permitted. also you dont have to see the entire car either. laws are fun eh

Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,425,436 times
I kid you not, last Sunday I was at the JR Crickets on old national. I sat and watched the same 2 state patrol cars pull over about 20 cars at the exact same spot within about 45 minutes and every single one got a ticket.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM

178 posts, read 530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I kid you not, last Sunday I was at the JR Crickets on old national. I sat and watched the same 2 state patrol cars pull over about 20 cars at the exact same spot within about 45 minutes and every single one got a ticket.

Pulled over for what?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM

705 posts, read 1,115,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The device and the user has to be visible from 500 feet and not obstructed or on an overpass where it can't be reasonably seen by oncoming traffic. So you can't sit facing away from traffic on the far side of an overpass. The vehicle has to be marked.

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7

GEORGIA CODE
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 14. USE OF SPEED DETECTION AND TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL MONITORING DEVICES
ARTICLE 2. SPEED DETECTION DEVICES

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7 (2008)

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.
Doesn't apply to laser, laser does not necessarily have to be used from a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta