Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,966 times

Advertisements

It's just laziness and finances. Ticketing speeders is much easier (and therefore more profitable) than ticketing people weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, cutting across multiple lanes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
It's just laziness and finances. Ticketing speeders is much easier (and therefore more profitable) than ticketing people weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, cutting across multiple lanes, etc.
One thing that handicaps the troopers here is the lack of unmarked enforcement. Most states allow unmarked cars to patrol and you get a much more realistic view of what's going on in an unmarked car. In GA, the law requires the vehicles to be marked and even requires the GSP cruisers to have lights on top of the vehicle....they can't even use slick tops. I get the history of speed traps in GA but IMHO it's time to change that requirement in 2009.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Alot of the GSP's chargers don't have light bars on the roof but the blue and white gives 'em away...

Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
One thing that handicaps the troopers here is the lack of unmarked enforcement. Most states allow unmarked cars to patrol and you get a much more realistic view of what's going on in an unmarked car. In GA, the law requires the vehicles to be marked and even requires the GSP cruisers to have lights on top of the vehicle....they can't even use slick tops. I get the history of speed traps in GA but IMHO it's time to change that requirement in 2009.
You mean you can't get pulled over by an unmarked car, I think.
You can shoot radar from any car. Heck you don't even need to be in a car. They can stand there on an overpass. They can use VASCAR from an aircraft.

The concern with unmarked cars pulling people over is indeed a very valid safety concern. Any joe shmo can put a blue light on their dash and pull people over in the middle of the night, rob them and get away with it. They were doing this here in metro atlanta. It's very common in Florida too. This needs to remain policy for this reason.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
I guess I am the only one who thinks they don't pull over a lot of drivers on the interstates here. In many states you can go 80mph but if your caught its a ticket here I've gone by and they don't even pull you over.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I guess I am the only one who thinks they don't pull over a lot of drivers on the interstates here. In many states you can go 80mph but if your caught its a ticket here I've gone by and they don't even pull you over.
LOL, you aren't the only one..lol....

I've driven past them at 75 in the morning on the shoulder doing 75ish and I swear, I"m get the lights..Nope...

I guess, its only if you are 80 and oveR???

Then again, the other issue here. Most of the highways don't have cutouts for the cops to sit so they have to wait until they find a wide enough shoulder to run radar...so that cuts down on speeding tickets too

Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

they can use slicktops. there is nothing in the law about that.

the law only regulates the color of the lights.

and unmarked enforcement doesn't work for many reasons. we already have enough psycho impersonators as it is.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
LOL, you aren't the only one..lol....

I've driven past them at 75 in the morning on the shoulder doing 75ish and I swear, I"m get the lights..Nope...

I guess, its only if you are 80 and oveR???

Then again, the other issue here. Most of the highways don't have cutouts for the cops to sit so they have to wait until they find a wide enough shoulder to run radar...so that cuts down on speeding tickets too

20 over. so 85ish to get them to notice you.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I agree (knock on wood) but it depends on where you are.
I used to live in florida and got tickets constantly.

After I moved here to georgia, I had trouble wiht hte cops in alpharetta but since moving to gwinnett... Let's put it this way, I have not been pulled over in nearly 6 years. Some things have changed though. I do a bit less driving and I no longer own a mustang but instead a very slow pickup truck.

As a policy I don't go more than 10 mph over the limit unless I am in some kind of big hurry like being late for an appointment but that hasn't changed. It's hard to speed when you're sitting in traffic so the bulk of my stops were things like turning right on right where it says not to, looking suspicious, window tint, etc. The cops in alpharetta set up a trap where they put a car on a two lane road with double yellow line and put the blinkers on to make it look broken down. In order to pass it you had to cross the double yellow line. Once you did that, boom, they'd instantly stop you and give you a ticket. NASTY one too. On your record it shows up as "driving on the wrong side of the road" which does not help with insurance rates.

So that's one of things I really like about this area I haven't been hassled here by the cops yet. Now just down the street in Hall county, it's a different story. They have a lot of cops.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
20 over. so 85ish to get them to notice you.

Right...The speed on that side of town is 65 sounds about right..

I've been up near 80 and I've made it home without the blue lights..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta