Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I left the northeast to get away from the cold, the snow, and the liberal politics, among other things. I hate to keep getting into this northeast versus Atlanta thing...but since I didn't start it.....I'll add this.

It might surprise you to know that in reality, many areas of the northeast are pretty low when it comes to crime, and in fact, Boston, New York, and many of the cities are much safer than Atlanta. As far as being filthy, this is certainly very location specific, but that's really a false generalization and stereotype.

There are certainly exceptions and crime ridden cities like Philly, but if you compare the suburbs and small towns in the northeast, they are an order of magnitude lower in crime stats than many comprable areas of Georgia. Same goes for the smaller cities of comprable size to Atlanta, such as Worcester, Providence, Rochester, and I bet even Hartford.

I don't recall the daily news reports of stabbings, murders, gang violence, home invasions, and on and on. The biggest surprise for me when we moved here was the crime. I'm not saying I wouldn't have moved here, but I definitely didn't understand the magnitude of the crime here.
Neil, you are 100% correct. Frankly IMO I have lived in Jersey, Maryland, Chicago, and the Philadelphia area. Crime there does happen as with everyplace else but for the most part crime issues are segregated. You know the old saying up there on the road. Your fine, but don't take that exit! I too was surprised when I moved here from Chicago 5 years ago. Seems you can be in the city, the burbs, the projects, or Sugarloaf, and your surrounded by it. The worst is the panhandling, granted I have been panhandled in the Inner Harbor, by Midway Airport, close to the Liberty Bell, etc., but I have yet to be anywhere in the city of Atlanta, be it Turner Field to Buckhead where I have not walked without being badgered for money.

So, to answer the question; Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if they would crack down hard on crime from panhandling to thugs. It amazes me that such a so called "conservative" area that the bench seems to provide the criminal element with a revolving door. I think Atlanta needs a Gulliani as NYC had or Ed Rendell as Philly had, thanks to those guys and during their day NYC had and continues to have about half the crime rate of Atlanta. Philly did to until it was blessed by John Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
So, to answer the question; Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if they would crack down hard on crime from panhandling to thugs. It amazes me that such a so called "conservative" area that the bench seems to provide the criminal element with a revolving door. I think Atlanta needs a Gulliani as NYC had or Ed Rendell as Philly had, thanks to those guys and during their day NYC had and continues to have about half the crime rate of Atlanta. Philly did to until it was blessed by John Street.
I think you're exaggerating crime in the Atlanta area. The suburbs are getting worse, but it's not like there is crime everywhere in Atlanta. And panhandling isn't that huge of a deal --- it's not like you have to lie awake in bed at night worrying if panhandlers will break into your home and beg for money. Moreover, you're always going to have to deal with panhandling more in Southern cities simply due to the weather.

It's also a bit of a myth that Guilliani cracked down on crime in NYC. The economy cracked down on crime in NYC. Crime rates were going down in every other major US city during the same period. NYC went through a two-decade long boom that helped eliminate some of the overwhelming poverty. Guilliani, just like most other dishonest politicians of the world, took credit for what was in essence national economic trends that were most profoundly felt in his own city due to the "success" of the financial firms.

Of course, now we know a lot of that "success" was an illusion, but all the same; it was successful at lowering crime nationwide and had the most profound effect in boom cities like NYC.

Last edited by DiderotsGhost; 05-26-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM

325 posts, read 979,778 times
....they would stop building houses every dam where you turn! Leave some vegitation please! Atlanta is being overrun by all these new subdivisions and half built homes and its starting to become another crowded northeastern city in the south....after a while, youll have to live 2 hours out just to get a more suburban feel.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
It's also a bit of a myth that Guilliani cracked down on crime in NYC. The economy cracked down on crime in NYC. Crime rates were going down in every other major US city during the same period.
Yes crime rates were coming down and the economy was improving, but Giuliani did what no other Mayor had really done....he cracked down on the "quality of life" crimes. He specifically told the cops NOT to ignore minor crimes like loud radios, public drinking and pot smoking, graffiti, and other crimes that were often ignored and led to a sense of lawlessness. On top of that he got agressive with the more hardcore criminals.

To bring the conversation back to Atlanta....getting rid of "quality of life" crimes may seem like a waste of time or resources, but in reality they set a tone that can lead to more or less crime of a more serious nature. Getting rid of the panhandling and vagrants would be a good first step.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,134 times
if the humidity were not so bad + if people would learn how to drive in the occasional snowstorm.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,182 times
I think Atlanta would be perfect if the horrific traffic situation was reduced to manageable traffic, and more rail lines were built. To me, Traffic will never be great with the population we have and what it is projected to be in the future. I just want it to flow better and have people commute times cut to a reasonable level(for a big city).

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
I was thinking of and like most of the suggestions so far. To these I would add.

If Atlanta had more high paying tech jobs and manufacturing jobs. If Atlanta had great shopping, more entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc. in a centralized area right downtown (this would make Atlanta much more attractive to visitors). If there were nice well kept, attractive residential areas right next to downtown the way there are in Columbus, Ohio with the Short North and German Village. This would insulate downtown from some of the bad element that thrive there now. Also if there were a couple true ethnic neighborhoods like a Chinatown.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I was thinking of and like most of the suggestions so far. To these I would add.

If Atlanta had more high paying tech jobs and manufacturing jobs. If Atlanta had great shopping, more entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc. in a centralized area right downtown (this would make Atlanta much more attractive to visitors). If there were nice well kept, attractive residential areas right next to downtown the way there are in Columbus, Ohio with the Short North and German Village. This would insulate downtown from some of the bad element that thrive there now. Also if there were a couple true ethnic neighborhoods like a Chinatown.
When you say downtown to you mean intown or downtown near underground ?Castleberry Hill is just minutes from the core of downtown, and Summerhill is walking distance to the Capital with Grant Park being not much further.Also the Edgewood are next to the King District is close by,These areas are very nice.Of course if you mean intown, then Atlanta has some of the prettiest city neighborhoods I have seen in America.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM

34 posts, read 129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I'm curious to know your reasoning.In my opinion,Atlanta would be great if it was on water or had a river that ran through the downtown or intown areas.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

I so agree. Downtown should be the focus of Atlanta's next mayor. It has so much going for it...if potential business owners felt that the city was committed to making it safe and to cleaning up the public spaces there (in EVERY SENSE of the word), I believe that they would make an investment there. It should be the crown jewel of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta