Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
If there was more snow in the winter and most of the suburbs and exurbs OTP did not exist!!!
More snow....man...have you ever lived somewhere where you get real snow? Snow seems really cool until you have to deal with it winter after winter. I'm fine with no snow.

"Suburbs and exurbs did not exist"....hmmm....that's an interesting take. What would your vision for Atlanta be? A urban city of 500K - 750K people that suddenly ends at I-285 and then farms and open fields beyond the perimeter?

So would you just do away with the business engine that actually drives Atlanta, a large part of which is located in Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM

80 posts, read 70,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

So would you just do away with the business engine that actually drives Atlanta, a large part of which is located in Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb?
What business engine is that?

Old 06-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
You must not be familiar with the Atlanta area. The majority of the economic power of Atlanta is on the north side, right around or outside the perimeter, and has been for many years.

I work with many of the top companies in the area, and with a few prestigious exceptions like Coca Cola (although CCE is in Cobb) or Georgia Pacific, the HQ or regional office for most of the big name companies is in burbs I mentioned. Think of Home Depot as an example.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Yes, I am from NH and miss the snow quite a bit. As for the suburbs, I have no problem with street car suburbs like Decatur and East Point, it is the super low density sprawl (lower density than many suburbs of other cities) ones like Alpharetta (and especially Peachtree City) which I don't care for. WAY to conservative and spread out for me!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live.....If things were closer together, if their was a beach near by, if their were Bodegas so I could get a good hero/breakfast sandwich/a $5 plate of Spanish Food(and when I say Spanish I mean Dominican/Puerto Rican) within walking distance of my house, if it you could see more nationalities/cultures/ethnicities
Sounds like NYC to me... (Would be fine in the city of Atlanta, not the burbs....you got me with the Heros, craving for one right now, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post

...people would also realize that when you live in Duluth, Riverdale, or Marietta, you do not live in Atlanta...
...people moving here would stop criticizing it and go back where they came from if they don't like how it's done here...

Atlanta is what it is...no more, no less. But, it's nice to fantisize.
True. I believe Atlanta is what it should be...Now, there's always room for improvement..(everywhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrobe View Post
It really is pretty bad down here. My car was broken into, then stolen less than a month later, taken to a collision shop, and then broken into at the collision shop. Mind you, these events were in different areas of town. SMH
Sounds like most cities in America. Been to Miami lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Atlanta would be better, if

the jobs paid more
if you had more job security and barginning power
if we had better goverment
if we did away with some of the hiring process for law enforcement
if everybody in management stop trying to hire there cousins and hired qualify people
if our children had a better school sytem
if we had tougher gun laws
if we had some type of subway system to and from work
if we could work and make a decent wage for the hard work we put in.

wait I must have thought I was in the north, ATL would be perfect if it was NY
All great points....but for the last sentence, NYC has plenty of flaws. Too many people leaving NYC can't be wrong..There's always space on the Amtrak if you want to go back to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayforee View Post
The only way jobs would pay more is if the cost of living was higher like NY. I would hate to have similar cost of living to NY. I would much rather have it like ATL.
Agreed, many people left NYC due to high price, the hustle and bustle, parking problems, rat hole apts costing more than mortgages for 4/3 houses down here, extreme winters, etc. Yes, ATL wins in many categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayforee View Post
and to add:

Atlanta would be a perfect place to live if every street wasn't named Peachtree. LOL
Good point....Too many Peachtrees, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl410 View Post
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if.....
.....it were closer to the ocean (I miss being near the beach!) AND
.....if we got a little more snow in the winter
Having dealt with hurricanes in South Florida, I will say living inland has many pros. Driving to Savannah for a few hours to go to the beach sounds good to me. I'll accept it as is, Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
More snow....man...have you ever lived somewhere where you get real snow? Snow seems really cool until you have to deal with it winter after winter. I'm fine with no snow.

Ditto...I can do with little to no snow....Tired of shoveling snow in the winter. (I dislike extreme heat (anything above 75 degrees), but don't want snow either. I'd say Atlanta offers the best of both worlds for someone like me)

The main thing I could do without is the excessive traffic, and if a comprehensive subway/metro system existed. A light rail system in many of the suburbs that would lead to Metro Atlanta/Marta would solve many issues with traffic.

The suburban rail system would not have to be fully developed like the city's, but something like the LIRR, and the Metro North in NYC where the suburbanites can park their cars at the stations and take the train to work during the week, to lessen the traffic on 85 and 75.
They could always run a slower schedule during the weekend, as they do in NYC. I don't know what's so hard to understand and implement. If people could see the light.

It would be nice for the city to be liver during the week after 10-11pm.
Not a big issue, but still not a bad thing.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
Lockheed Marietta a huge supplier of military planes and huge employer since WWII is up in Cobb county. I think UPS and Hewlet Packard headquarters are also north of the perimeter.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am from NH and miss the snow quite a bit.
I lived in MA right on the NH line, and shoveling in April got old. Skiing and boarding at Loon or Waterville was nice in Jan or Feb, but the 6 month winters got old quickly.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
If there was more snow in the winter and most of the suburbs and exurbs OTP did not exist!!!
Do the suburbs hurt you in some way?

I'm glad that areas exist ITP. Otherwise I'd be living in a big doughnut. And more seriously, the core city is important for a number of reasons. I like visiting it, too ... I just don't want to live there, that's all.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 AM

288 posts, read 958,693 times
We were right on the ocean, Atlanta would rule then!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Sounds like NYC to me... (Would be fine in the city of Atlanta, not the burbs....you got me with the Heros, craving for one right now, lol)
LOL there was atleast 5 bodegas within walking distance of my house in Long Island...granted the walks were longer than NYC but still less than 10 minutes(and we had sidewalks to walk on and everything)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta