Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM

25 posts, read 170,933 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on here, I have been a reader here for a little while and really enjoy the amount of knowledge about the various cities on these message boards. The reason I am posting here is pretty obvious in my header, I moved to Orlando 2 years ago after I graduated college with a Business Management Degree. I was looking to get into the Hospitality (specifically Resort Room Operations) sector and move my way up the corporate ladder. After working at one of the major resorts in Orlando for a year, I decided that I did not want to dedicate my life to dealing with ungrateful dumb tourists for the rest of my life. Since that point, I have worked the last year as a Photographer for one of the theme parks in the area, and during that time had a 2 1/2 month temporary assignment in Human Resources.

There are various reasons why I am looking to move away from Orlando, I'll go through a few of them here fairly quickly:

1) Outside of the Hospitality, Health care, and Real Estate Industries, there are just not a lot of opportunities in the greater Central Florida area.
2) The wages down here are pathetically low, positions that might earn $70,000/year in another area might only earn $45,000/year down here, and that is across many industries. This is not just an Orlando problem but a problem throughout the state of Florida.
3) Being 25 years old, while I am still young, I am ready to establish some roots. With all the crime in Central Florida and the insane house prices and property taxes, I simply can not foresee myself settling down, buying a house, and raising a family here.
4) The area is simply too transparent. I realize Atlanta is a very transient city as well, but at least in Atlanta people live there year around. Half of our population here are snow birds and other seasonal residents, so between foreclosures and homeowners being gone, the subdivision I live in is usually half empty, and this is common in Central Florida. Again, not the type of situation I want to settle down in.
5) I have simply become tired with the area personally. While I love the warm weather, it is just too hot from May - September to really enjoy. I miss the seasons and I miss the mountains as well. This is where Atlanta seems to have a nice balance, you have the seasons without having the brutal northeast winters and you are only an hour away from the mountains and 3 - 4 hours away from the coast.

Now that I have ranted on about why I am leaving Orlando, I am going to shift my attention to the Atlanta area. At this rate I will probably consider moving to the Atlanta area even without a job lined up, but to give you all more information I am looking to get into a Human Resources/Administrative Assistant position and possibly team up with a Photography company on the side. Do you all think the Atlanta area provides good opportunities on both fronts?

In terms of specific areas, I am really looking at the Gwinnett County area, specifically Duluth and Buford. I have been through that area a few times and the Sugarloaf Parkway and Mall of Georgia areas looked particularly nice. The reason I am looking at these areas is that I am really not looking to be right in Atlanta, in fact I would much rather be in the suburbs. I am a fairly conservative church going person, I just want to be close enough to Atlanta to take advantage of all the opportunities that Atlanta has to offer. I do not have children obviously so schools are not a big concern for me, but I would like an area where people actually talk to you and you somewhat know your neighbors. I also want to be in a location that is fairly convenient to a lot of areas (I know that's difficult in the Atlanta area). Are both of these fairly good areas? What kind of information can you all give me on these areas?

While I have looked at Gwinnett County in particular, I am not ruling out any area (besides Atlanta proper and any really bad areas) at this point. When I move to the Atlanta area, I will probably have about $15,000 saved up in my bank account. I am definitely not looking to buy a house or condo right now, I will be renting for probably a couple of years. I am looking to spend anywhere from $600 - $800 a month for either a Studio Apartment or 1 Bedroom Apartment. Is this feasible in Gwinnett County or any of the nice suburban areas or am I kidding myself? I would not mind renting out a room in a house (which is what I do now in Orlando) and having a roommate, but not on an apartment lease. I have done that before and it did not end well. What are the various taxes (state income tax, property tax, sales tax) like in Georgia as compared to Florida?

Also, are there any employment agencies that any of you would recommend to go through to possibly get a job before I move up to the area? What else should I know about the area before I move up?

Simply put, I am hoping to get as much information as possible. If you have any information or recommendations on what area to live in based on what I am looking for let me know.

Thank you all for any assistance and information you may be able to provide!

Austin

Last edited by Austin83; 04-23-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
One thing I would hasten to mention is to not expect the be blown away by the pay scale in Atlanta at all.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I do not think the pay scales are incredibly better in Atlanta than Orlando, but I know they are not any worse. With that said, from what I have seen sales taxes, property taxes, and just taxes in general are significantly cheaper in Georgia than Florida (plus a lot fewer toll roads). I have a friend who moved from Orlando to Atlanta and she informed me that even with a state income tax, the cost of living is cheaper in Atlanta than Orlando. She moved to Atlanta a little over a year ago and has told me several times that she would not go back, which is another reason why I have really started to research the Atlanta area.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
I think you might get a better response with fewer details.

The Chateau Elan winery/resort is located in Braselton, north of Gwinnett County--for employment.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Why Gwinnett County? That is probably one of the last places I would look....

Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM

DeaconJ why do you not recommend Gwinnett County? From other people's comments on here and other research I have done, Gwinnett County seems like a great combination, close enough to take advantage of all the events and opportunities in Atlanta while still being in a nice suburban area convenient to Lake Lanier and the mountains in North Georgia.

With that said, I am by no means even close to an expert on the area (hence why I am here) so I would be interested in hearing why you do not like the Gwinnett County area. What other areas in the Atlanta area would you recommend?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:47 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times
I liked Gwinnett County very much when I visited Atlanta. Hope you won't have a problem with diversity, since Gwinnett has a lot of that.

Of course, your quality of life will be significantly higher than that of Orlando. Here are some nice apartments.

Buford Apartments for rent in GEORGIA | ApartmentFinder.com

Unlike Florida, there is an income tax. The tax on license plates are particularly high compared to most states.

This might be a retarded question, but are you also looking for some nightlife or some kind of social group to meet people??

Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Nature thank you for the information and your question is not a dumb one at all. I know it sounds weird that being 25 years old I would prefer to be in an area with families as compared to areas with single people and people my age. I am looking for an area that I can feel comfortable living for the next 10 - 20 years, somewhere I can settle down. Too many times I see the trendy places where everyone in the early and mid 20s wants to live, and in 10 years those places are run down and/or crime infested. Simply put, I just see myself as more of a suburban person than I do a city person, but I want to be somewhere where people are friendly and I will not feel isolated.

I am also an outdoor person so I want to be close to Lake Lanier and some of the fresh water fishing locations, and just in general being outdoors is a big thing for me. I really enjoy sporting events, especially football, basketball, stock car racing, and drag racing, and Atlanta absolutely destroys Orlando in that category.

In terms of making friends, I would hope to join a gym and possibly a tennis or baseball league. I will also hope to join some sort of photography group fairly soon after settling into the area. I do enjoy going out to bars for a few beers, but I also enjoy just staying at home some night. One thing I am not though is a club person, all of the drinks are overpriced and I am just not the dancing type, so that is not important to me.

Hopefully that gives you a better indication on what I am looking to find in terms of an area in the Atlanta area.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 75,870 times
Hello Austin,

I am also living in Orlando and I am relocating to Atlanta, in fact this week. My advice is though you have a good amount saved the job market is not as welcoming. My friend moved to Atlanta in February and its is tough the temp agencies are overwhelmed. She even applied to Mc Donald's and got no response and she is very aggressive when it comes to job hunting. So i am saying that to let you know to expect the worst. I am also in the hospitality business and I am greatful to be working for a great company where i could of transfer so i have a job lined up before i move. If you could try to secure a job before you move. when are you palnning on moving?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 AM

191 posts, read 457,609 times
I grew up in Fort Myers...so I get the whole wanting to get out of Florida thing. My husband and I recently moved to Suwanee, in Gwinnett county. I would suggest looking there as well...we have LOVED it....take that Gwinnett bashers. Seriously, Suwanee is a great area.

Also, the real estate market has not taken quite the pounding in Suwanee that is has in some areas (that is not to say it hasn't taken a pounding at all). If you are genuinely looking to put down a few roots, this is a good area. Suwanee is in the North Gwinnett High School cluster which is an excellent, excellent school...makes for better resale. Suwanee always has stuff going on at its town center (outdoor movies, concerts, etc). There are also a lot of parks here and the mountains and the chattahoochee are close by....so is Lake Lanier.

My suggestion about jobs...

Start applying before you move and perhaps take a restaurant job (which I am sure you HATE to hear coming from the hospitality industry....I had to waitress for years through high school, undergrad and then grad school....). Once you get that job go ahead and move and rent....but get a short lease. The great thing about serving or bartending (I would suggest a restaurant not an actual bar) is that you talk to people all day long. Once you get here and you start talking to people, something may come your way. It is always who you know.

Another thought is to check out the Roswell/Alpharetta area. It is a bit more pricey, but it is a nice area for adult singles who are career minded.

Shoot me a message if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta