Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,214 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I just got a job at WSB in Atlanta and will be moving to that area. I want to live outside Atlanta where it is possibly cheaper and quieter. I am married and have a dog. Thanks for your help!!

Rental
Budget- 1000-1400
2. House/Condo/Townhome- House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: suburban or a mix of both
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM

how bad is the commute from Lawerenceville????

Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,498,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vieages View Post
Hi all!
I just got a job at WSB in Atlanta and will be moving to that area. I want to live outside Atlanta where it is possibly cheaper and quieter. I am married and have a dog. Thanks for your help!!

Rental
Budget- 1000-1400
2. House/Condo/Townhome- House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: suburban or a mix of both
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? no
Have you considered the City of Decatur?
City of Decatur, GA

I wouldn't want to go much further away than that myself.

The Executive Park/N. Druid Hills Rd/Toco Hill area near Emory might also be an option.
Not a bad commute to WSB, under 30 minutes---and within your housing budget. Dog friendly, quiet and many young professionals and families live here. Renovated 50's, 60's ranch homes and more.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ggestions.html

Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM

thank u! i also work off hours, so rush hour wont be a problem.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM

are there any areas in Decatur to stay away from??

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
are there any areas in Decatur to stay away from??

I believe the zip code within the City of Decatur limits is 30030. Very nice area. North of Decatur zip codes 30033 and 30329 are good areas.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...0330-help.html

Other posters are more familiar with specific areas --some better than others.
Hopefully there will be additional responses.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Do you want to live further out? There are certainly many places in metro Atlanta that might fit your criteria. Most of us want less travel time and coincidentally your work is located near some great places to live, jmo.

Intown Neighborhoods>>>
http://www.showing247.com/guides/neighborhoods/

Midtown>>>

http://www.atlanta-midtown.com/

Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM

i kinda wanted to not be in the city if i could help it. i dont mind a commute, thought i would be able to afford a bigger, quieter place if i did a commute. im open for anything though. im just hesitant to look in the city because ive heard it can be tricky.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
i kinda wanted to not be in the city if i could help it. i dont mind a commute, thought i would be able to afford a bigger, quieter place if i did a commute. im open for anything though. im just hesitant to look in the city because ive heard it can be tricky.
There are a number of posters that live intown and can well explain what it is like to live there. A highly desirable area. Decatur has much to offer--very walkable, many shops and restaurants and you would have easy access to many cultural events. The Emory/N. Decatur area has more housing in your price range and is centrally located, too.

I don't know what to suggest. If you want to live 'OTP'/Outside the Perimeter then you will have a 45 min or more commute.
Maybe Roswell.
http://www.roswellgov.com/
or Alpharetta>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...questions.html

Most of the OTP areas are family oriented.

Possibly the Perimeter area--Dunwoody. Generally considered ITP and there is plenty of traffic in this area but it's urban/suburban.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...her-ideas.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-09-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 PM

859 posts, read 2,121,131 times
Quote:
Whew that's good. Those are all great suggestions by TakeAhike.

About your budget, are you looking to rent a 2bd 3bd house? It could make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta