Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 59,594 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how long it would take WITH traffic to get down to Emory University Hospital (not Crawford long in midtown) and Grady from Buckhead and vice versa. Would it be too much of a hassle - i would be traveeling anywhere from 6-7:30 in the AM? I tried measuring it with google maps, but i don't feel like it's an accurate measure.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

38 posts, read 144,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgirl654 View Post
I was wondering how long it would take WITH traffic to get down to Emory University Hospital (not Crawford long in midtown) and Grady from Buckhead and vice versa. Would it be too much of a hassle - i would be traveeling anywhere from 6-7:30 in the AM? I tried measuring it with google maps, but i don't feel like it's an accurate measure.

Thanks so much!
In the early morning (6-7AM), you could get to Emory and Grady in about 20 min from Lenox Square.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
In my personal opinion, that is not a commute I would want to make. It might depend on where you're coming from in Buckhead (do you have an approx. intersection??) but obviously interstates back-up, in addition to surface streets. If you'd be coming to Emory via LaVista and Briarcliff, both of those streets back up horribly. I'd say maybe you're looking at 45 minutes to an hour? (but other people please feel free to correct me if this is a commute you make on a regular basis)

Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
In my personal opinion, that is not a commute I would want to make. It might depend on where you're coming from in Buckhead (do you have an approx. intersection??) but obviously interstates back-up, in addition to surface streets. If you'd be coming to Emory via LaVista and Briarcliff, both of those streets back up horribly. I'd say maybe you're looking at 45 minutes to an hour? (but other people please feel free to correct me if this is a commute you make on a regular basis)
Yes, it depends on where you are in Buckhead.

I used to commute to Grady and like I said, in the early morning (6-7 AM), you could get there via I-85 S in about 20 min.

I travel to Emory (have to get there by 7:30A) often and I could either take Lavista to Briarcliff then Clifton or Lavista to Houston Mills then Clifton. Again, it takes me no more than 20 min.

But I'm traveling from around Lenox Square.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-J View Post

I used to commute to Grady and like I said, in the early morning (6-7 AM), you could get there via I-85 S in about 20 min.

I travel to Emory (have to get there by 7:30A) often and I could either take Lavista to Briarcliff then Clifton or Lavista to Houston Mills then Clifton. Again, it takes me no more than 20 min.

What makes a difference is the time at which you will be making the commute. Because you will be leaving ahead of most commuters, the time will be much more manageable. Leaving at 7:45 to 8:00 would be a different story.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What makes a difference is the time at which you will be making the commute. Because you will be leaving ahead of most commuters, the time will be much more manageable. Leaving at 7:45 to 8:00 would be a different story.
Well that makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying what I said.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
netgirl, if you're traveling to Emory U Hospital on Clifton and Grady Hospital on Jesse Hill Jr then I'd say live in Inman Park or Candler Park as near the MARTA stations as you can. From Inman or Candler it's about 4 miles to Emory U Hospital. You can catch a MARTA bus at the Inman Park station that goes to Emory's campus. And you can hop on the train and get off at the Georgia State Station to get to Grady. Easy peasy.

I live in Candler Park and used to work at Emory University. IT was 3.5 miles from my house and most days, unless it was raining badly, I biked there. Took 15 minutes, with the traffic lights, etc. It's probably a similar bike commute from Inman Park. Easy, safe bike commutes from this area, too.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 37,123 times
Default Traveling to Emory

I live on the edge of Sandy Springs and Buckhead and work at the Emory-Children's Center off of Clifton. I typically leave around 7:20 - 7:30 and can be at work around 7:45 - 7:50. (I catch 400 off of Lenox) The biggest backup is the Briarcliff to Clifton Rd and navigating Clifton Road. Getting to work in the morning is often much quicker than getting home. Navigating Clifton to Briarcliff and beyond can be very slow going. I haven't driven to Grady from home - but often have to drive there from work and again depending on time of day it can take 30 - 40 minutes (including parking). There may be shortcuts for both sites - but we're fairly new here and I am still navigating via GPS.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-J View Post

Or you can take LaVista to Shepherd's Lane, which takes you right to the intersection of Briarcliff and Clifton Rds. and is shorter than both of these.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Or you can take LaVista to Shepherd's Lane, which takes you right to the intersection of Briarcliff and Clifton Rds. and is shorter than both of these.

I agree with the shorter distance but the problem is that most people don't let you get to the left lane on Briarcliff to make the left turn onto Clifton when you try to go into intersection next to the QT gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta