Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 70,441 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are heading through Georgia on a family vacation later this year, but our current plans look like they will be routing us through the Atlanta area breathlessly close to rush hour - late afternoon on a Thursday.

Our plan is to head into Atlanta on I-20 from Birmingham, pick up I-285 southbound, then cross over to I-75 southbound heading toward Macon. My question is whether that route takes us against the basic flow of afternoon rush-hour traffic. Although I've been through Atlanta before, I simply don't recall this detail. My instinct tells me that people in the afternoon are heading west on I-20, out of the core Atlanta area, and more likely northbound along 285, but that's just speculation on my part. Thought I'd ask people here who would know for sure.

(as an alternative, I've contemplated an entirely different route out of Birmingham to Macon, taking US 280 to Columbus, then east on roughly US80 to Macon...but I'm concerned about what might seem to be "back" roads and possible GA speedtraps..)

Many thanks in advance,
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM

840 posts, read 2,090,323 times
If you are in Atlanta between 4 and 7 then you might hit traffic on 75 south because two large interstates bottleneck there to one interstate but that traffic only last for one exit when yo are down there so there is not that much to worry about. On 20 you are going against the flow of traffic and on 285 for the north south part you are with the traffic but it never gets backed up on that stretch of road

Hope you ave fun on your vacation

Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,375,140 times
As mgyeldell said, you should be mostly OK.

You are going against traffic on I-20, so you will be fine there, and the west side of I-285 is generally not too heavy. I'm not sure about the south side, but I have never driven on that portion.

I just drove down to Macon last week leaving central Atlanta at about 5:00pm. While there was definitely some heavy traffic, it wasn't stupid. I absolutely HATE waiting in traffic, and generally get angry in the process, but I made that trip just fine. It shouldn't be too bad.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 PM

880 posts, read 2,866,190 times
You'll probably hit some heavy traffic at I-285 getting onto I-75 south and then even heavier traffic at the I-675 interchange with I-75 in Henry County. Those will be your biggest problems.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 AM

165 posts, read 549,578 times
Clarify afternoon and you'll get a better picture of traffic.

75-675 merge all the way through Hudson bridge will be a hell hole from 4 - 8pm. There's major construction along that junction and it's the worse bottleneck south of atlanta. Depending on the week (and potential holiday) you could sit, heading southbound, from either SR-138 exit, Stockbridge, or from MT. Zion all the down to exit 218.... it can be from 2-8 miles of backup and cost you 30-120 minutes.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 AM

697 posts, read 3,025,925 times
You can always get information on the current state of traffic, construction, accidents, and delays on the Georgia DOT traffic info web site: Georgia Navigator :: Home. If you have chance, stop and check conditions before heading through. If not, you can get much of the same information by phone by dialing 5-1-1 from anywhere in Georgia. The actual conditions on the ground the day of your trip will be much more useful to you than general information about what it's typically like.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 70,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Clarify afternoon and you'll get a better picture of traffic.

75-675 merge all the way through Hudson bridge will be a hell hole from 4 - 8pm. There's major construction along that junction and it's the worse bottleneck south of atlanta. Depending on the week (and potential holiday) you could sit, heading southbound, from either SR-138 exit, Stockbridge, or from MT. Zion all the down to exit 218.... it can be from 2-8 miles of backup and cost you 30-120 minutes.
Sorry, I thought I had said Thursday afternoon rush hour in the original post.

I am taking that to mean approximately the 4pm-6pm timeframe. My current planning suggests we will be closer to the 4pm timeframe.

-Tourister
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta