Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM

66 posts, read 432,999 times

Advertisements

What are people's thoughts on this area of town? We are looking to buy a house that we can hopefully stay in for the next 20 years to raise a family and have found some nice houses in this area. Do people consider this part of town to be established enough where it will remain a good area for a while or would this be considered an area that has already reached its peak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 AM

23,512 posts, read 44,198,804 times
It's a marvelous area, and certainly it has not reached its 'peak'. It's proximity to Emory and the city center, its schools, and those big beautiful oak trees, will keep its stock high for some time to come.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,390,316 times
Absolutely! This is one of the nicest areas ITP. I would live over there in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 PM

90 posts, read 330,035 times
I've actually mentioned this area to a few people (none of whom know each other), but their responses weren't positive.

Do you think it was because they were assuming that all of Decatur bad just because one part of it isn't cool (from what I'm learning, it's south Decatur that's sketchy), or were they giving Decatur a bad rap for some other reason?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tind View Post
I've actually mentioned this area to a few people (none of whom know each other), but their responses weren't positive.

Do you think it was because they were assuming that all of Decatur bad just because one part of it isn't cool (from what I'm learning, it's south Decatur that's sketchy), or were they giving Decatur a bad rap for some other reason?
It depends on who you were tlaking to, and how well they truly know the area.

DeKalb is a big and varied County, but people that are not familiar with it dismiss it sometimes just from various news reports, etc.

Oak Grove is absolutely one of the nicest parts of town inside 285. It is a stable, upper-middle class to upper class area that is thriving, safe and beautiful. Many people associated with Emory and the CDC live there as it is so convenient for them.

Don't believe what these people are telling you. Take a drive through the area along LaVista and some of the side roads and you'll see for yourself.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It depends on who you were tlaking to, and how well they truly know the area.

DeKalb is a big and varied County, but people that are not familiar with it dismiss it sometimes just from various news reports, etc.

Oak Grove is absolutely one of the nicest parts of town inside 285. It is a stable, upper-middle class to upper class area that is thriving, safe and beautiful. Many people associated with Emory and the CDC live there as it is so convenient for them.

Don't believe what these people are telling you. Take a drive through the area along LaVista and some of the side roads and you'll see for yourself.
Ditto.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tind View Post

The highlighted part above is the reason you received non-positive reviews...

It amazes me how so many residents in Metro Atlanta do not truly know the metro area at all...and they have the nerve to go around giving misguided advice.

I was raised by my mama and daddy to know what you are talking about...or keep your mouth shut!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's a marvelous area, and certainly it has not reached its 'peak'. It's proximity to Emory and the city center, its schools, and those big beautiful oak trees, will keep its stock high for some time to come.
Love them.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The highlighted part above is the reason you received non-positive reviews...

It amazes me how so many residents in Metro Atlanta do not truly know the metro area at all...and they have the nerve to go around giving misguided advice.

I was raised by my mama and daddy to know what you are talking about...or keep your mouth shut!
Absolutely, aries!

I also blame certain Realtors.

I can't tell you how many transplants I have met over the years that tell me their Realtors plant many of these anti-ITP thoughts into the minds of newcomers. Some have been told that it simply is not safe ANYWHERE ITP except for Buckhead. All it takes is a couple of nights of our local "If it Bleeds, it Leads" newscasts to cement these ideas in their heads. Of course, a lot of their neighbors just reinforce these ideas.

I used to work with some women in Lawrenceville that were new arrivals, mainly from South Florida & the NE. Several of them were under strict orders to not even go to Lenox or Phipps - let alone further in - without having their husbands in tow. It's self-perpetuating, it feeds on itself over the years, and I find it very sad. I honestly feel it's one of THE main reasons why the Metro is so fragmented.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,322,893 times
Oak Grove is a very nice and very desirable area. The only negative comments I've heard about Oak are based on the rampant tearing down of older homes so builders could build McMansions. Despite how anyone might feel about tearing down old homes, it proves beyond any doubt that the area is desirable.

Some people think all of unincorporated Dekalb is a dump, and that might be one reason people say Oak Grove is a bad area, but that is pure ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta