Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 AM

101 posts, read 381,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, Me and my family are thinking about making the move to GA.. And I wanted to get some info on the Decatur area. Is it family friendly? How are the schools? Is there a certain part we should stay away from? We are looking for I guess what just about everyone is looking for. Good neighborhood to raise a family, good schools, low crime and good housing prices. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
Hello everyone, Me and my family are thinking about making the move to GA.. And I wanted to get some info on the Decatur area. Is it family friendly? How are the schools? Is there a certain part we should stay away from? We are looking for I guess what just about everyone is looking for. Good neighborhood to raise a family, good schools, low crime and good housing prices. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!
I think that you will hear from many people in the forum in future postings that live in Decatur and love the neighborhood. Keep in mind that there is a BIG difference between the City of Decatur and the "other" Decatur.

Here is a link to the City of Decatur: City of Decatur, GA

Here is a link to the City of Decatur School System: City Schools of Decatur

Here is a link to the map of the school system: City Schools of Decatur

You can also read ratings on the school at GreatSchools.net

Home price tend to be a little more expensive since you are paying for the separate school system. Searching for a house in the City of Decatur would be the zip code of 30030 and Decatur High as the high school. If you see a real estate listing that shows 30030 and let's say Avondale as the high school - then the real estate agent is trying to trick people or has no idea about the area.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
Mind you, when you refer to 'Decatur' you can be construed to mean two things on this forum. One is the city of Decatur (zip 30030), the other is the mailing area of Decatur, which means the city and unincorporated areas surrounding it that carry a Decatur mailing address (zips 30032, 30033, 30034, 30035). It's easy to get confused.
If you are referring to the city, it has everything you are looking for and then some: great schools, beautiful neighborhoods, virtually no crime and as family friendly as any place on the planet. The stumbling block here is 'good housing prices'...you will pay for this little slice of Heaven. So, it would help to know your definition of 'affordable'.
In the 'other' part of Decatur, it's basically a matter of whether you are going north or south. 30033 (just north of the city) is a fine area for the most part, and a little bit more affordable on the whole than the city proper. The other zips are dicey at best...if I were you, I wouldn't bother there.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM

39 posts, read 140,949 times
My family and I are moving from Decatur to Chicago and wish we could take Decatur with us. It's exactly where we would live in the Atlanta area if we had to do it all over again. That said, there are a number of places outside the city limits of Decatur proper that are quite nice (Clairmont Heights, etc.). We live just outside the city of Decatur (still in 30030), near the Decatur YMCA. Our kids went to Fernbank Elementary, in the Dekalb school system and it is one of the highest rated schools in the area.

If price were no object (we were students while we lived here) we would definitely live close to downtown Decatur, of which the courthouse square is the center. This is a great place with outstanding restaurants, Atlanta's best pub, great MARTA station, and good pedestrian-friendly living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta