Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Poor spelling, overall, has nothing to do intelligence or teaching ability (unless the teacher is a teacher of grammar, spelling, language arts, reading, or English).
Did I mention anyone's intelligence? NOPE

Do I hold teachers or aspiring teachers to a different standard than others when it comes to things like spelling? YUP

When we don't demand excellence from people, we get what we get. The fact that we're even having this discussion speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
"Certain types" ....hmmm who could you be talking about?

I've never criticized or put anyone down on this forum for spelling or grammar, or anything not related to their thoughts and the content of their posts. In this case, I think it certainly is important and relevant. If you want to be a teacher of children, you should have basic skills that you gained from education, and basic spelling and literacy should be among those skills.

You may be one of the "certain types" that ignores these kinds of things and makes excuses for them, but I want the people who teach my kids and other's kids to be educated and have basic communications skills, so that they can impart them on our children and set a good example.

I guess that makes me one of those "certain types"
Certain types...not talking about you at all...referring to society in general.

If I was talking about you, I would have just directly called you out.

Can we say self-centered and hyper-sensitive?

Let's all sing neil0311's anthem..."Mi..., mi, mi, mi, mi...!"

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Did I mention anyone's intelligence? NOPE

Do I hold teachers or aspiring teachers to a different standard than others when it comes to things like spelling? YUP

When we don't demand excellence from people, we get what we get. The fact that we're even having this discussion speaks volumes.

Wow.

"Mi..., mi, mi, mi, mi..."

Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Can we say self-centered and hyper-sensitive?
Nope, but a forum makes it tought to ascertain meaning sometimes. I guess I was incorrect in my assumption. How self centered of me to care about my children's education and the competence of our teachers. That's such a self-centered thing to do.

Quote:
Let's all sing neil0311's anthem..."Mi..., mi, mi, mi, mi...!"
Did you mean "me, me, me, me" or "my, my, my, my" or are we practicing our spanish?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 57,721 times
Default Very qualified

I am very offended that I am being attacked for my spelling skills. I was asking for help on finding information about schools in the Atlanta area. If you do not have help for me, please do not respond to my message. I am not a very good speller but when I am in class i use a dictionary to perfect my spelling when possible (sorry i didnt use that when typing a quick message on here). I graduated from a private liberal arts college with a 3.83 GPA, I had a 4.0 in my major and minor classes (which is what i am certified to teach in), I passed all of the Michigan tests for teacher certification with flying colors, I got a 31 on my ACT and I am VERY highly qualified and prepared to teach HISTORY. If anyone would like to comment further on my abilty to teach (based on spelling errors in a question for help) then I ask you to examine yourself and ask you if you have faults.

Again if anyone has an ACTUAL reply to my question about Atlanta schools that would be very helpful, if not please reconsider responding.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 57,721 times
I would also like to add that if you know what is important about being a teacher you would want your child to be in a class with a teacher who is responsible, kind, caring, passionate about what they teach, and interested in your child... not about how they spell.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
Anne

My reply remains the same (even stronger now that I see you are a history teacher). Jobs will be few and far between in GA this year. Class sizes are being increased and with the economy being the way it is fewer teachers will be leaving the career.

So, you need to come with an open mind if you are looking to be hired. The best schools are unlikely to have openings as internal transfers will take care of those.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneSeelbach View Post
I am very offended that I am being attacked for my spelling skills. I was asking for help on finding information about schools in the Atlanta area. If you do not have help for me, please do not respond to my message. I am not a very good speller but when I am in class i use a dictionary to perfect my spelling when possible (sorry i didnt use that when typing a quick message on here). I graduated from a private liberal arts college with a 3.83 GPA, I had a 4.0 in my major and minor classes (which is what i am certified to teach in), I passed all of the Michigan tests for teacher certification with flying colors, I got a 31 on my ACT and I am VERY highly qualified and prepared to teach HISTORY. If anyone would like to comment further on my abilty to teach (based on spelling errors in a question for help) then I ask you to examine yourself and ask you if you have faults.

Again if anyone has an ACTUAL reply to my question about Atlanta schools that would be very helpful, if not please reconsider responding.
I would take this with a grain of salt and move on. I taught for many years myself, FWIW. I proofread my posts a bit more carefully now --that is all I will say.

I agree with Lastminutemom, but if you want to teach in GA then give it your best shot.

Apply to the counties/districts in the metro area that indicated they would be present at the job fair: City of Atlanta, Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, Fayette, Forsyth, Rockdale, Henry and possibly a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

Contact others that may have positions individually --most have online employment sites. I would look at the counties north of Fulton/Cobb/Gwinnett--ie: Hall County/Gainesville--north of Atlanta near Lake Lanier, a bit further north Dawson County, Jackson County, Bartow/NW and Barrow/NE. I have heard a few good things about Barrow county and the counties around Athens, GA, home of the University of GA.

Be sure to contact the GA Dept of Education and take care of the certification requirements. School districts complete a major portion of staffing for the fall by the end of May. FWIW.

GA Counties>>>
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/gacountymap.htm

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-04-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Nope, but a forum makes it tought to ascertain meaning sometimes. I guess I was incorrect in my assumption. How self centered of me to care about my children's education and the competence of our teachers. That's such a self-centered thing to do.

Did you mean "me, me, me, me" or "my, my, my, my" or are we practicing our spanish?

lol. Wow. Get worldly/knowledgeable please...

"Mi, mi..." refers to the music note "mi" as in "Do-Re-Mi-,etc..."

It's a play on sound and words (homophones)...never mind, the point was missed!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneSeelbach View Post

I really dont see why you're getting offended, and want to display your credentials, when in fact you made the mistakes. No one attacked you, enough of the drama.

I know this thread is not about grammar, but why take offense? Take a chill pill. No one really cares what your GPA was, what you did on what test, because none of us know you. So relax already. You made a mistake, life goes on. You seem to be making it a bigger issue than it really is.

I was going to DM you some helpful links and an email address to someone that I know that works for Dekalb County Public Schools (someone I personally know who got me in with Delkalb Co), but with your attitude I think it's cautious not to. I'd rather play it safe. Good luck at the open house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta