Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM

23 posts, read 85,148 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Alpharetta from Arkansas...and since I've managed to get other great information off of this site, let me ask something really important.

What are your experiences with various cable-tv or satelite providers in the alpharetta area.

I have comcast bundled with internet and phone now.
I'm marginally satisfied (with everything but the bill --ouch) , but I'm not sure what the options are in that area.

what about U-verse, and FIOS

How about good broadband providers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Hey, I lived in Alpharetta for 1.5 years and had DirecTV there. But honestly the city doesn't matter when it comes to quality, service, etc. DirecTV, Comcast, etc is going to be the same whether you are in Alpharetta or any other suburb.

Just my personal comments on each:

U-Verse: a neighbor of mine has it and is very happy

Verizon FiOS: the best internet service in the US, and the TV service is building momentum. But they are never coming to GA (I work at Verizon)

Comcast: I had it for 4 months over the summer, along with Cable Internet. Terrible experience with their customer service- they accidently took $450 out of my debit card, and it took 4 months to get it back. I did like On Demand though, and I never had any outages.

DirecTV: What I have now. THE biggest source for HD stations, and still adding more. Better prices than Comcast. Only issue is service can get fuzzy during very bad rainstorms.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM

118 posts, read 597,415 times
I'm from Ca. and am thinking about a move to Ga. You folks have way more severe storms there than we do here. With Satellite TV, do you lose signal frequently if ever?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Comcast has exclusivity to the Alpharetta area. A monopoly if you ask me.
But, a lot of people do prefer a "dish" service.
Over the past five years or so- I got so GD mad with them I threatened with legal action. Now, the past year and a half has been great- no problems at all, period!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 143,950 times
I'm pretty satisfied with my ATT bundles - with satellite TV via Dish Network. Haven't had any problems with the weather yet.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM

82 posts, read 335,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMUTCH View Post
I'm from Ca. and am thinking about a move to Ga. You folks have way more severe storms there than we do here. With Satellite TV, do you lose signal frequently if ever?

I had Directv in L.A., CA and now Alpharetta, GA. In eight years in CA, I probably had only a couple of temporary outages in heavy rain. In 8 months in GA, I've probably had 4. That said, the outages were usually intermittant and brief. The HD DVR still plays recorded programs and the DTV on demand (through internet) still works fine as well. Would never go back to cable if I didn't have to! Lots of high-def on DTV as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
I dont live in Alpharetta but Comcast is the worst provider I have ever experienced in my life!!!!!!! If you have an option not to use them dont!!!!

Comcast Sucks ComcastSucks.org ComcastSucks .org

Consumer complaints about Comcast Cable Service

ComCast Sucks

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...hlight=comcast

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...hlight=comcast

There are sooo many sites out there like these. I currently have them and I wish I wouldve signed up with DirecTv instead.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We are among the few in the Alpharetta area that has never had a problem with Comcast. I thought it was telling last week when a man rang the doorbell, and introduced himself as our "personal Comcast consultant". He encouraged us to call him directly if we had any customer service issues. I am guessing Comcast is bleeding accounts. In addition, he left us coupons for 10 free on-demand movies!
My neighbor has Dish, and it seems like there is always a service tech over there repositioning the dish.
We have high speed DSL through ATT via Earthlink. Very few problems.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Regarding broadband providers, we have 6.0 MB DSL through AT&T via Atlantic Nexus and are very satisfied with this ISP.

If you're just an typical residential broadband consumer, I suspect the bundles from AT&T or even Comcast are a decent value, although Comcast's service quality and bandwidth policies seem pretty questionable.

If you're more of a "power user" like us (we run a mail server at home, etc.) you need a third-party ISP like Atlanta Nexus because they offer features you can't get from AT&T. We've been through several ISPs and find Atnex by far the best. No, I don't have any personal or business relationship with them apart from being a satisfied customer. After the unsatisfactory experiences we had with Earthlink and Speedfactory, Atnex's superior service has earned a plug from me.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
I have Comcast right now and am getting ready to switch over to satellite. The quality of their digital cable has been terrible for me for the 2 years I have lived in Atlanta. I am so disappointed for the money I pay for that service. I think I'm getting DirecTV. Not to mention, Comcast's customer service is HORRID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: