Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,388 times

Advertisements

Although I think atlantagreg's weather explanation is very good, I differ a bit from the popular notion, expressed in several posts here, that all Seattle rain is in the form of drizzle. Having spent most of my adult life in Vancouver, BC (just slightly north of Seattle), my experience is that there are plenty of days on the northwest coast when you need a raincoat, boots and umbrella or you'll be drenched pretty quick. Yes, it drizzles quite often as well, but the generalization that you can go out and about in Seattle rain without needing rain gear is erroneous, unless you enjoy having wet hair and soggy clothes, including your socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,502 times
Born and raised in Portland, Oregon. I hated the rain. I now live in Orange County, CA. Very Beautiful but very tough job market and extremely high home prices even with the recent downturn in the market. Thinking of moving to Atlanta. Can buy a beautiful home there for what I can get a run down condo here. (in safe areas). Will I make it? My husband is dragging his feet. He is a CA boy. Will we be accepted there. He is not a surfer dude, more of a Artistic musician type. Let's just say he does not wear dockers and polo shirts.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
There have been a lot of good answers here. I just wanted to add one thing....

I think alot of people forget that this is a humid, semi-tropical environment that typically exists in the southeast of any large north American land mass. It is one reason why we have such a huge diversity in native plant and tree species relative to the northeast or colder, wet areas like Seattle and Vancouver.

(just a a side note... This is precisely why the three states water-war issue is completely politically created)

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb in OC View Post
Born and raised in Portland, Oregon. I hated the rain. I now live in Orange County, CA. Very Beautiful but very tough job market and extremely high home prices even with the recent downturn in the market. Thinking of moving to Atlanta. Can buy a beautiful home there for what I can get a run down condo here. (in safe areas). Will I make it? My husband is dragging his feet. He is a CA boy. Will we be accepted there. He is not a surfer dude, more of a Artistic musician type. Let's just say he does not wear dockers and polo shirts.
Funny how you bump an old thread and your post is only very tangentially related to the topic. As has been said earlier, Atlanta gets huge volumes of rain, but it doesn't rain particularly often: 5-10 days a month have rain.

Anyhow, Decatur is our own little slice of California; he'll be easily accepted there. Plenty of other intown neighborhoods could work as well. If your price constraints force you out into the suburbs, you're going to have to make more of an effort to find a place that fits your personality.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,999 times
I think we get more rain in the summer....and we have killer lightning here.

I am actually ready for some cold weather...its supposed to be in the 70's for the next few days...even on thanksgiving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: