Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM

60 posts, read 142,135 times

Advertisements

I was driving down Ponce going from Midtown to Decatur Saturday night and I was almost killed no less than four times by reckless drivers not paying attention. Going too fast for conditions, I was almost hit by a hydroplaning car that passed me at least 20 miles faster than I was going and they hit a deep puddle of water, people driving WITH THEIR LIGHTS OFF. Jesus Christ do we have a death wish as Atlantans or something? Get some damn sense people, don't drive like morons unless you want to be driving a casket six feet into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Perhaps this is a msg that should be sent to ALL drivers, not just those in Atlanta.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halseyspartan2 View Post
I was driving down Ponce going from Midtown to Decatur Saturday night and I was almost killed no less than four times by reckless drivers not paying attention. Going too fast for conditions, I was almost hit by a hydroplaning car that passed me at least 20 miles faster than I was going and they hit a deep puddle of water, people driving WITH THEIR LIGHTS OFF. Jesus Christ do we have a death wish as Atlantans or something? Get some damn sense people, don't drive like morons unless you want to be driving a casket six feet into the ground.
Welcome to Atlanta! LOL

That is how we drive down here. Get used to it

Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Welcome to Atlanta! LOL

What he said. Candidates for the worst drivers in the entire US.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What he said. Candidates for the worst drivers in the entire US.
I wouldn't say that. We are just in a hurry.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM

322 posts, read 465,241 times
Quote:
Welcome to Atlanta! LOL

That way of thinking is part of the problem. Have you ever noticed how many wrecked cars there are driving on Atlanta streets.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that.
I would. I know some disagree, but I have lived in other parts of the country and travel quite a bit, and some of the driving I've seen here in the Atlanta area qualifies as among the most dangerous and least courteous.

It goes in extremes on both ends here. You've either got the person who wants to drive 25 or more mph over the speed limit and who sits 2 feet off your rear bumper, or you've got the person who drives like they're 100 years old and afraid of the road.

Turn signals are not even optional. They're ignored.

When courtesy is needed, people here give will cut you off even if you have the right of way, but then they'll hold up 20 cars behind them to be "courteous" to one vehicle who doesn't have the right of way.

Wet roads here just seem like an excuse to test how much speed the bald tires on mechanically unsafe vehicles can take without causing a deadly crash. Maybe people up north have more money, but I've never seen so many junk cars unfit for the road until I moved here. Lack of vehicle inspections doesn't help.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I would. I know some disagree, but I have lived in other parts of the country and travel quite a bit, and some of the driving I've seen here in the Atlanta area qualifies as among the most dangerous and least courteous.

It goes in extremes on both ends here. You've either got the person who wants to drive 25 or more mph over the speed limit and who sits 2 feet off your rear bumper, or you've got the person who drives like they're 100 years old and afraid of the road.

Turn signals are not even optional. They're ignored.

When courtesy is needed, people here give will cut you off even if you have the right of way, but then they'll hold up 20 cars behind them to be "courteous" to one vehicle who doesn't have the right of way.

Wet roads here just seem like an excuse to test how much speed the bald tires on mechanically unsafe vehicles can take without causing a deadly crash. Maybe people up north have more money, but I've never seen so many junk cars unfit for the road until I moved here. Lack of vehicle inspections doesn't help.
I agree 100%

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
No kidding. Driving on 185 in Columbus and 85/285 into North Atlanta Saturday night was one of the most stressful drives I have ever had, and I'm someone who takes Atlanta's traffic in stride after living/driving in NYC, Los Angeles and Miami. I couldn't believe the cars that were flying by above the speed limit --you could barely make out the lanes on the interstate, and even with almost-new tires, I was hydroplaning here and there. As I was driving, I saw a shadow ahead of me (God knows how) and realized it was a car with it's lights off. How in the world they could even begin to see was a mystery, but I came waaay too close to rear-ending the idiot. As I passed him, I saw him with his cell phone by the steering wheel.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Atlanta drivers, please don't drive like fools when it's pitch dark and pouring rain outside
Why not?...When it's pitch dark and pouring rain outside is the *PERFECT* time to prove one's worth as a totally whacked-out driver on the psychotic roads of Atlanta.

Do you know where you are at?

This isn't a city with a culture of people routinely obeying traffic laws.

This is Atlanta...where traffic laws are merely an informal suggestion for many drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta