Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You're wrong.* It is very influential.
This is your opinion. Do we really need to go back to elementary science:

Quote:
The difference between fact and opinion is that a fact is something that is empirically true and can be supported by evidence, while an opinion is a belief that may or may not be backed up with some type of evidence. An opinion is normally a subjective statement that can be the result of an emotion or an individual interpretation of a fact.
Quote:
*as usual
If we want to go the immature route, I am way smarter than you. You don't even know the difference between fact and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Maybe it's not meant to, but that's the effect it has. Singling out one race always has that effect.
But that's your problem, though. I know whites who have no problem with the black Mecca title. You don't speak for everyone.

Quote:
Again, speaking in absolutes about the future shows that you are the one who is troubled. And your exclusive attitude is so obvious. Why won't those groups have history? Asians first began arriving in Atlanta in the 1940s. Atlanta was not even 100 years old then. Why won't those groups have presence? Presence is simply large numbers, and going by growth rates alone, Hispanics will soon outnumber blacks. And they won't have influence? Atlanta's Asian population has already established the city as a national center of influence.

Like a child who doesn't want to share his toy with other children, demographic destiny will force you to share Atlanta with other groups. Besides throwing a temper tantrum, there's not much you can do about that.
You're embarrassing yourself. I don't even live in Atlanta yet, so it isn't even mine to hog. And you suggesting that I or anyone else are somehow desperate for blacks to remain the preeminent minority group in the area only shows your failed comprehension skills.

I don't know any of Atlanta's black posters who won't quickly brag to you about the area's growing Asian, Hispanic, and European population. Atlanta's diversity is the subject of many debates with other posters that take place on these forums. This isn't about blacks intentionally keeping Atlanta for themselves, it's just that this city is naturally entrenched with black history and culture. That's nobody's fault. It's just the way it is.

If other races want to decide to make Atlanta a mecca for their group, there's nothing anyone can do about it. And regardless of what you may think, I'm certain that blacks would welcome it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There's really no practical distinction to be made between race and ethnicity in this particular context. And yes, the Irish cultural influence is still very palpable in Boston. That's a generally accepted premise and very few Bostonians would relegate that to the realm of opinion.
I disagree. We are talking about the descendants of people who emigrated from Ireland in the 19th century. Yeah, their basketball team is named the Celtics, but it's all pretty much been blended into "white". Trust me, being Irish is not a strong identity for whites, even in a place like Boston. It's just too distant.

Quote:
How exactly is Atlanta an Asian mecca or a Hispanic mecca?
Like you yourself said, the population growth has to come first. With growth rates topping 100%, I don't think that's a problem. Retail districts come next. With Buford Highway (Hispanics and Asians), Plaza Fiesta (Hispanics) and Duluth (Asians), that stage has been reached. There are numerous Asian private schools. What else is necessary?

Quote:
What sort of entrenched institutions and culture relative to Asians and Hispanics are present in Atlanta to the degree that they are not in most other U.S. cities?
Sheer numbers alone. Both the Asian and Hispanic populations are above the national average. Besides, Atlanta is not just "another city." It's a major city, and it just doesn't make sense that it's not treated like one by the national media in terms of its minority populations.

Quote:
And the "Black mecca" appellation is not intended to paint the whole picture. Again, people are misconstruing the label due to their own discomfort (or maybe this is the reason).
It doesn't matter if it was intended to or not--that's the effect it has. Everyone in this thread that is not black has agreed. And I'm not sure what that link is supposed to be implying. If anything, I think it's unfair to the Asians and Hispanics.
Quote:
They've had to do that with Whites for the longest time already. That's nothing new.
Yeah, but it will be new to have to share with whites + Asians + Hispanics.
Quote:
But relative to Hispanics and Asians, the Black presence in sectors like entertainment, business, politics, education, etc. has been solidified for some time now and several other cities already have an edge with Asians and Hispanics when it comes to that whereas Atlanta is still tops for African Americans.
So? LA is still tops for Hispanics, but that doesn't stop it from being recognized as a place for blacks and Asians.
Quote:
Atlanta won't be known as a Black mecca forever, but it will still be known as such for years to come.
I really don't think so. The reality is that Atlanta is becoming "Major City, USA", where its known for every single group. It's losing its unique identity as a "chocolate city". Yes, blacks will always be part of the equation, just like they are in "Major City, USA" (i.e. LA, NYC, Chicago). But so will every other group. Blacks just won't be the sole minority game in town like they were in decades past.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I really don't think so. The reality is that Atlanta is becoming "Major City, USA", where its known for every single group. It's losing its unique identity as a "chocolate city". Yes, blacks will always be part of the equation, just like they are in "Major City, USA" (i.e. LA, NYC, Chicago). But so will every other group. Blacks just won't be the sole minority game in town like they were in decades past.
You're intentionally ignoring the simple fact that the black population in Atlanta is HUGE. Well over a million and a half. No other minority race comes close. Just another "part of the equation" is an understatement, you must admit.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Atlanta is not a popular city in white/mainstream America. It is a popular city to black Americans.
Well, it's popular enough to have pulled in around 4 million white Americans. And a slew of white dominated Fortune 500 companies. And a bunch of predominantly white universities. And attracted a predominantly white symphony orchestra, opera company, theatre companies, TV stations, foundations, research centers, museums, hospitals, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by arjay57; 05-17-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You're intentionally ignoring the simple fact that the black population in Atlanta is HUGE. Well over a million and a half. No other minority race comes close. Just another "part of the equation" is an understatement, you must admit.
It's a big part of the equation, just like it is in NYC and Chicago. But still just part of the equation.

And the Hispanic population is indeed coming close. It's already at 700,000.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Not to quibble but it would actually be more accurate to say the black population in the Atlanta suburbs is huge. The black population within the city of Atlanta itself has actually been dwindling .

Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, it's popular enough to have pulled in around 4 million white Americans. And a slew of white dominated Fortune 500 companies. And a bunch of predominantly white universities. And attracted a predominantly white symphony orchestra, opera company, theatre companies, TV stations, foundations, research centers, museums, hospitals, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Still not the popular cultural capital for mainstream America that cities like San Fran, New York, LA, etc. are. Atlanta's growth (like the rest of the Sunbelt) is largely due to affordability and jobs. Most of the transplants that move there are going straight to the suburbs. So Atlanta is a "white mecca" the same way every other second tier city is.

For black Americans, on the other hand, Atlanta is a much more significant spot on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not to quibble but it would actually be more accurate to say the black population in the Atlanta suburbs is huge. The black population within the city of Atlanta itself has actually been dwindling .
The actual city makes up only a fraction of the urban area. It's usually a given that when someone says "Atlanta" they're talking about the metro.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It's a big part of the equation, just like it is in NYC and Chicago. But still just part of the equation.

And the Hispanic population is indeed coming close. It's already at 700,000.
That's less than half, with a great deal of them likely being illegal. So if you want to consider that "coming close" to the influence and cultural presence of blacks, then fine, I won't argue that with you.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That's less than half, with a great deal of them likely being illegal. So if you want to consider that "coming close" to the influence and cultural presence of blacks, then fine, I won't argue that with you.
This is how you come off with statements like this:

It's all about US! How dare those Hispanics try to steal Atlanta's spotlight. 700,000? That's nothing! 5.7% Asian, above the national average? Pooh-pooh! Nothing comes close to US! We run this town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta