Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM

11 posts, read 61,295 times

Advertisements

Yes, we'd still have one car. Sell DH's and keep mine (mine's the waylotsmuch nicer of the two. plus, mine's a lease, so gotta keep it!)
also discovered that utilities are much cheaper there then here. we're paying an average of $200/mo for gas/electric here in NY (and, yes, good guess -- we're in rochester!) i guess most apts run about $125 for power? so that's an extra $75/mo. renters insurance cheaper than homeowners insurance, plus only one car insurance premium . . . assuming that DH's job comes with a health care plan, we can swing $1K/mo . . . which makes some very nice complexes suddenly on our budget.
narrowing it down to dog-friendly, close to Emory, with washer/dryer hookup (need that with a baby! lol) and gated for safety . . . we're down to five possibilities:
1. Calibre Woods
2. AMLI at North Briarcliff
3. Briarhill Apts
4. Marquis at Briarcliff
5. Harbor Lakes

anyone have an opinion on any of these?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:19 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,349,668 times
Have you checked to see what the transit is like from each of these complexes. I think the only one which is near a shuttle line is Briarhill (Calibre might be but I don't think it is). Calibre, AMLI and Briarhill would require two buses to get to the campus but Calibre would be close enough where he could bike in if he wanted (although it would require going up a huge hill on the way there and on the way back). I'm not familiar with Harbor Lakes but the best I can tell it's in Fairburn which is south of the city. Is there another Harbor Lakes that I just don't know of.

All of these communities are your basic corporate housing. They are going to be relatively nice, no major hassles but management is going to be trying to save a buck where ever they can.

Personally I would try checking out the apartments along Emory Shuttle's Executive Park Line. It stops at Clifton Apartments (formerly Archstone Clifton), Post Briarcliff, The Park Apts and Post Oak. Briarhill is within walking distance of this line. Sloan Square is another community within walking distance of the shuttle. It's not gated but I've never heard of any crime there. I'm not sure I would recommend the Park Apts but both the Post ones and the Clifton one are all nice.

Check out:
http://www.epcs.emory.edu/alttransp/shuttles.html
and
http://www.itsmarta.com/maps/viewer.asp (broken link)
for info on routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityMom View Post
1. Calibre Woods
2. AMLI at North Briarcliff
3. Briarhill Apts
4. Marquis at Briarcliff
5. Harbor Lakes

Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Great links! thanks! the woman i spoke with at Calibre Woods said they are getting added to the shuttle route this summer. i'll double check with the shuttle people to be sure.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,349,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityMom View Post
Great links! thanks! the woman i spoke with at Calibre Woods said they are getting added to the shuttle route this summer. i'll double check with the shuttle people to be sure.
I wouldn't be surprised. Emory is supposed to be extending their shuttle service.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 AM

So, just got back from our first trip to Atlanta . . . i LOVE atlanta!!! can't wait to move there! DH did great in his interviews, and now we have two offers to choose from! (tough choice, too, he loved both places.)

my realtor was AWESOME!!!!!! (do the rules of the forum allow me to give her a shout-out? she showed me tons of houses, and was very perceptive about what i liked and didn't like, and by the second day, was able to start predicting not only which houses i'd like, but which neighborhoods, areas, traffic patterns, etc. she was so generous with her time, helpful, kind, and so very, very patient!!! i felt so safe and well-taken care of, and aptly guided in her very capable hands! (if i'm allowed to post her name i company, i will. otherwise, please PM for more info if you like.)

found three houses we liked -- 2 in snellville, and one in st mountain that would needs some tlc.
sadly, as i found houses that i liked, DH got to know the city and told me, please, please, please pick something CLOSE! one of the two gentlemen he interviewed with has lived in st mountain for a while and kept telling him -- don't go that far out. pick something really close. the commute gets really old really fast.

so i told the realtor, and she picked me up the next morning, with a whole new batch of houses, and route to travel to see them all, mostly in the decatur area. gotta say, did not like a single one of them. she drove me past a few out of our price range, and those i know i'd love. sigh.

so, we might be renting for a little bit, and save up for a nicer house/neighborhood in decatur.

meanwhile, loved the Calibre Woods apt complex. that was pretty nice. great service, close enough to walk. if we end up living there, hope we'll love it as much as residents as we did as guests.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,101,510 times
Thank you for coming back to give us a report, and such a good report at that! I'm happy for you, UnityMom! You loved Atlanta and it loved you right back.

Keep us posted and please continue to check the forum even after you move so you can advise others who might be searching in the Emory area.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,984 times
I'm a current medical student who had to go through the apartment hunt not too long ago. Two more places to conisder are the former Carlyle Lake apartments, now called "Lincoln at Decatur," and Highland Lake apartments, both of which are across the street from the Clairmont campus. I think they both allow dogs, and it's a 5-7 minute walk and 5-10 minue shuttle ride (or another 10-15 minutes walking) to main campus. If you're planning on getting rid of a car, living this close keeps you from being dependent on the shuttles.

I lived in Highland Lake a while ago, it's gated in, but the gates don't really add much for security. I'm now living at President Park apts at 1231 Clairmont Rd, which are older and cheaper, ($940 for a 3/2) but the rumor is that they're soon to be torn down and made into luxury condos.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM

excellent, thanks, i'll check those out too!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:06 AM

Anyone familiar with the Arbor Hills Apartments?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,749,245 times
Unitymom,
Have you checked some of the houses for rent on Craigslist? See if this post pulls up: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/296929053.html (broken link)
There are some good deals and I would NOT compromise your safety, especially with a young child. Try the area around Toco Hills/Lavista. There are some nice ranch homes for rent. I'd avoid Stone Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta