Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,794 times

Advertisements

There are actually some nice areas of Stone Mountain and lots of very expensive homes. The guy that was shot was driving in one specific area, not ALL of Stone Mountain. I wouldn't recommend it for someone going to Emory, but it's misinformation to label the entire city as "pretty rough".

You can find a rental in Decatur for $800, and one quite a bit nicer for $100-200 more. There is an areas of less expensive rentals down Clairmont from Emory, beginning around Clairmont and I-85. It continues over to Buford Hwy and along Buford back toward Midtown. It's not far at all from Emory. Have you checked into Emory housing? They might at least have a program for graduate students that subsidizes housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
Sprtslvr8 is right. There are some very nice areas of Stone Mtn (although they aren't actually in St Mtn, the boundaries of Stone Mtn are very small and the entire city could probably be characterized as rough). The $120k houses aren't in the nice expensive areas so for the purpose of this thread I would suggest you stay away from that area.

Like I said before you can find a rental for $800 in Decatur, but a two bed house is going to be tough (if not impossible). Most of the stuff in the $800 range is going to be 1 bed apartments.

I also wouldn't suggest the stuff along Buford Hwy. Most of the apartments are older and pretty rundown. They are cheap for a reason and I don't think I would feel very safe in the majority of the communities along there.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,794 times
The many complexes along Buford Hwy aren't generally unsafe, but they are much more in line with the originator's price ranger. There are some that are very nice, gated, and expensive that will be far more than $800. The people that I know living there have not been victims of any crime and they don't complain about crime...they don't even talk about it really...

Old 02-25-2007, 05:51 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
First, do post-docs teach? If so, Emory may very well have housing options for you. Not sure about this, but I have been reading a bit about Emory working on affordable housing for its' lower paid employees. Here is a link to eligibilty about housing

http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/GRAD/gradelig.html (broken link)

and here

http://www.housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm

this is the list from emory's website and there are actually some condos to purchase close to your price point and well as rentals in your price point. Remember that the ATlanta condo market seems to be softening and so you may be able to get a deal.

Will his hours be traditional? That is, will be have to be there at 8 am and be done right at 5. When I was in graduate school, that wasn't how it worked at all. (In my case, I went in early and came home early.) If his schedule will be flexible, then you can easily live a little further a way and not have an awful commute.

What about the N. Druid Hills Area between Brialake and LaVista or the Lavista area? I know this area is nice, just not sure of prices...

?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 AM

40 posts, read 221,999 times
Those are good links and it sure is nice of Emory to have housing for married grad students but the rent for even the one bedroom is a bit higher than $800 a month!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:58 AM

11 posts, read 61,267 times
The stuff from the school -- i don't think it's subsidized. pretty pricey.
i'm coming the realization that i'm just not gonna be able to find something i'm comfy with in our price range. so now we're looking at alternate plans.

here's the current one: we find a really nice (dog-friendly) apt complex that is walking/marta from Emory, (or i hear some have a univ shuttle?) and we sell DH's car. no car payment, means $200 a month more for rent. that opens up a whole new price range, right?
what are the nice apt complexes close to emory? (again, looking for safe, quiet neighborhood, and small dogs welcome.)

thanks! i'm off to check out that emory apts finder site . . . (thanks for the link!)

Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 204,449 times
Stone mountain is a good area... as with anyplace, you can find crime. I lived in the stone mountain / lithonia area for 10 years and I always feel safe... I enjoy living near the mountain.... there are several quaint areas that are within minutes of the mountain, and it would put you within 15-20 minutes of emory.... Snellville is a nice area as well, it will take you straight down hwy 78 which is a straight shot to emory. Downtown decatur area and around emory is going to be pricey but it depends on what you want........i doubt you will find a ton in the 120k price range...I think Snellville would be a great starting place...and or the tucker area

Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 AM

42 posts, read 204,449 times
do not get rid of your car....You will need a car in atlanta or you wont be able to survive.....

Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,388 times
I strongly agree with Marvette about keeping the car; I disagree about choosing Snellville.

Don't give up on the intown search so quickly -- at least not until you've talked to someone at Emory about your dilemma.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
I'm assuming when you say you're going to get rid of the Hubby's car that you still have one. If this is the case, and you find somewhere near campus and transit accessible then I would support the decision. I know plenty of people who get by without a car or with one car per couple. It's tough but it can be done especially if you plan your commute and where you live around it. Parking at Emory is going up because the school is trying to get less people to drive (because traffic is so bad around the school). The campus has shuttles and Marta buses have stops at the school. It's possible to get around the area without a car. All the other trips that you would need to make, such as groceries, doctor visits for the little one, the bank, dry cleaning, etc are very difficult without a car, but if you have one that should be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta