Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
The article specifically mentions the chart only ranks MAJOR cities.

Besides, website lists cities by "gay index" with 100 being the national norm. Sante Fe has a gay index of 201 and Atlanta has 299.

I stand corrected as to Santa Fe not being a major city. True!

Besides, Santa Fe is 201 and Atlanta is 299 according to some index? Maybe it's 203? Or 203.00409? Or 200.88840239?

As far as I am concerned, gay and lesbian percentage tallies are relatively meaningless. Many gays and lesbians don't even tell their parents they're homosexual, let alone the U. S. Census Department. Did Representative Mark Foley tell the Florida Census Department that he's gay? I don't think so! A lot of people in Washington don't tell their "real" sexual orientation. Let's get real.

A lot of "happily" (?) married folks don't tell their spouses their "real" sexual orientation. They might not even tell their extremely homophobic 97-year-old grandpa, with a net worth of 15 million, who's in the process of making out his will. Telling homophobic gramps your homosexual orientation might limit the amount money in your future trust funds. Or should we say the multimillion dollar trust funds that are no longer in your name.

Any tally relating to sexual behavior is relatively meaningless. Who's going to admit to doing, X, Y, and Z.

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2020 at 12:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Unfriendly and well-established are two separate issues.

The Cobb County Roommate Ordinance is clearly anti-gay, even though Cobb County has a large GLBT community.

"Well-established" can encompass a commercial side and a political side. Politically, the gay community is not well-established in many of the surrounding metropolitan counties.

When I had my LA Fitness membership, I was surprised at the number of gay men working out in Gwinnett and Forsyth County. The Discovery Mills LA Fitness, in Gwinnett County, was at least 20 percent gay.
Yes, I guess the term 'well-established' is misleading...but they are definitely there. Just about all of my gay friends that lived intown 20 years ago are now in Brookhaven, Tucker, Northlake-Emory, Oak Grove, Dunwoody, Roswell and Lawrenceville.
The Northlake area has a great organization called The Northlake Alliance of Gays and Straights.

www.nagsatlanta.org/

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times
It is interesting that Seattle has such a high gay population. I never noticed any gays there. It seems like gay people here are hiding their status (mainly the men). In the Bay Area things are bit out in the open.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,832 times
Dipsy, was my favorite tele-tubby. My son used to love it. He just reminded me of the vacumn cleaner(moo-moo.) I wonder what it's sexual orientation was?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
It is interesting that Seattle has such a high gay population. I never noticed any gays there. It seems like gay people here are hiding their status (mainly the men). In the Bay Area things are bit out in the open.
Nobody is hiding, believe me. Seattle is a very progressive city and gay men and women live openly in all Seattle neighborhoods...

At one time we had a traditional "gay ghetto", however those days are for the most part gone.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times
A "gay ghetto" that seems very progressive. Seattle is a nice place. But since I've been here I've met a lot of gay people but a lot of them said that they were not openly gay as they face a lot of discrimination here since it is the South and a bible belt state. I wonder how long it would take for ATL to allow gay marriages?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
A "gay ghetto" that seems very progressive. Seattle is a nice place. But since I've been here I've met a lot of gay people but a lot of them said that they were not openly gay as they face a lot of discrimination here since it is the South and a bible belt state. I wonder how long it would take for ATL to allow gay marriages?

The term "gay ghetto” is more of an affectionate term than anything else. Here in Seattle it refers to the traditional gay neighborhood of Capital Hill which starting in the late 70s was Seattle's version of the Castro in San Francisco.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The term "gay ghetto” is more of an affectionate term than anything else. Here in Seattle it refers to the traditional gay neighborhood of Capital Hill which starting in the late 70s was Seattle's version of the Castro in San Francisco.
I got your drift...Midtown was our traditional 'gay ghetto' (Decatur for the lesbians), but like Seattle the community found its' way out into other neighborhoods.
In Atlanta, North Druid Hills seems to have become quite popular with gay men; Avondale Estates is the same for gay women. I'm told that going down to Avondale Lake for a sunset stroll is like walking onto the set of The L Word. When I go shopping in Decatur with my friend (a gay woman that lives in AE), she'll run into her neighbors and inevitably end the conversation with, "see you down at the lake."

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
All I know is we don't have enough gay people where I live.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I got your drift...Midtown was our traditional 'gay ghetto' (Decatur for the lesbians), but like Seattle the community found its' way out into other neighborhoods.
In Atlanta, North Druid Hills seems to have become quite popular with gay men; Avondale Estates is the same for gay women. I'm told that going down to Avondale Lake for a sunset stroll is like walking onto the set of The L Word. When I go shopping in Decatur with my friend (a gay woman that lives in AE), she'll run into her neighbors and inevitably end the conversation with, "see you down at the lake."
They're taking over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta