Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
LOL

Thats the biggest lie on this board. People outside the south always think of southern cities as segregated when there city is just as segregated as Atlanta. Every city in America is segregated especially the cities you listed. Chicago is probably the most segregated city that you listed. Besides Manhattan, NYC is very segregated with mostly PR in the Bronx, Blacks in Harlem, etc. LA is wayyyy more segregated than Atlanta. Try looking for blacks or whites in East LA, its not going to happen. Philly is the same. Try finding some white people walking around North Philly.DC is same. Suburbs outside of DC have had some of the most segregated crimes in all of america. Even DC is very segregated, let a black person walk in Gtown/Potomac late at night and see what happens.
Talkin' 'bout the gay scenes in comparison to Atlanta's, brotha-man! (Noticed I left some key cities off the list...D.C., Boston, New Orleans, etc.)

Pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And D.C.'s is segregated a la Atlanta.
He didn't specifically mention to me that DC's scene was segregated. We talk at work a lot and he would've brought this up if that were true.

I think he heard that Atlanta's gay scene was predominantly black and that appeals to him and so he would like to see what life would be like in a city where he is the majority for a change.

Out of curiosity Aries, why do you think DC's gay scene was segregated?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
LOL

Thats the biggest lie on this board. People outside the south always think of southern cities as segregated when there city is just as segregated as Atlanta. Every city in America is segregated especially the cities you listed. Chicago is probably the most segregated city that you listed. Besides Manhattan, NYC is very segregated with mostly PR in the Bronx, Blacks in Harlem, etc. LA is wayyyy more segregated than Atlanta. Try looking for blacks or whites in East LA, its not going to happen. Philly is the same. Try finding some white people walking around North Philly.DC is same. Suburbs outside of DC have had some of the most segregated crimes in all of america. Even DC is very segregated, let a black person walk in Gtown/Potomac late at night and see what happens.
Potomac is a suburb of DC in Montgomery County, Maryland. It's not in the city itself.

There are plenty of black people walking all the time in Gtown. They may not live in Gtown, but it is a shopping and entertainment district in the city and so are never made to feel excluded.

Why would you claim discrimination occurs in Gtown?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
He didn't specifically mention to me that DC's scene was segregated. We talk at work a lot and he would've brought this up if that were true.

I think he heard that Atlanta's gay scene was predominantly black and that appeals to him and so he would like to see what life would be like in a city where he is the majority for a change.

Out of curiosity Aries, why do you think DC's gay scene was segregated?
I've heard on dozens of occasions and from dozens of different people (from various backgrounds) of how segregated it is. To the extent of Atlanta...I don't know.

"Fetishy mixing" doesn't count.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
The gay "scene" in Atlanta (whatever that is) is not predominately black. There are a handful of mostly black clubs and there is a large gay black population here, but there is a larger gay white population...obviously from the 30+ white or mixed gay clubs in Atlanta. The only segregation of the club scene is one of personal choice. I know there are several mostly white clubs that are actually very mixed....and I personally have been to mostly black clubs a couple of times and didn't feel unwelcome at all. There are also a couple of gay latino clubs, but I don't have any experience there.

Atlanta also has a large and popular gay sports scene, which is not at all segregated. I've noticed a couple of mostly black softball teams and they were normally sponsored by a black-owned business. The gay owned and gay friendly businesses in Atlanta (gyms, restaurants, retail shops, etc) are welcoming to all races in my experience as well.

I would definitely think that a group like gays and lesbians, which itself experiences a lot of discrimination, would generally be very aware of NOT discriminating against anyone else for any reason.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
^Thank you!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! "Bears" are larger guys, "twinks" are youngish late teen to twenty-somethings. Nothing racist about it in any way.
LOL...ya, but there are the polar bears (Big gay guys with gray), Grizzly bears, REALLY big hairy guys, black bears (big gay AA men)....hmm, I don't know what panda's would be? ...maybe, extra cuddly bears??

Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
After re-reading though, I now see why I jumped to conclusions...the chart is %-based, so the less population a city has, the larger the "gay population" appears.
NYC has 8.3 million, and even if they have the largest gay pop, it would be too small to be reflected above. *duh*
I agree I would not go by this list. San Diego is left off, and anyone that has been there would have to be blind not to see there are actual gay neighborhoods there. Portland is on the list, and yeah there are gays mainly the hipster ones, many other ones are in the closet. I don't know how they got counted at all.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I've heard on dozens of occasions and from dozens of different people (from various backgrounds) of how segregated it is. To the extent of Atlanta...I don't know.

"Fetishy mixing" doesn't count.
I spoke with my friend at work today. He appreciates all the responses. He doesn't think DC is segregated, just that there aren't many black gay people here, at least not in comparison to Atlanta.

I didn't want to sound dumb and ask him, but what is fetishy mixing?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
LOL...ya, but there are the polar bears (Big gay guys with gray), Grizzly bears, REALLY big hairy guys, black bears (big gay AA men)....hmm, I don't know what panda's would be? ...maybe, extra cuddly bears??
POLAR BEARS??? Do people actually call themselves that? Boy the things that I learn on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta