Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:57 AM

522 posts, read 1,611,102 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Atlanta and was wondering where the safest, nicest and affordable areas are. I have heard good things about Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. I know east Atlanta is affordable but is it safe? I have also heard good things about Stone Mountain, but how far is it from the city itself? Thanks for any info you can give me. BTW, I was looking to spend no more than $1000 for a one bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Atlanta and was wondering where the safest, nicest and affordable areas are. I have heard good things about Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. I know east Atlanta is affordable but is it safe? I have also heard good things about Stone Mountain, but how far is it from the city itself? Thanks for any info you can give me. BTW, I was looking to spend no more than $1000 for a one bedroom.

In which part of the city will you be working and how long are you willing to commute?

Stone Mountain is about ?20miles/30 minutes east of downtown Atlanta. You would have a better selection of housing options in your price range in the NE/NW sections of the city. The City of Decatur might be an area to consider if you are working in the midtown/downtown area. The area around Emory University is a good choice, too.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 AM

Thanks! I don't have a job yet but I took an early retirement so I have a pension.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Thanks! I don't have a job yet but I took an early retirement so I have a pension.
Then it depends on which area looks/sounds better to you.

There are a number of apartments/townhouses/condos/houses in your price range in the area NE of Emory--sometimes called Toco Hill/Executive Park or Northlake. It's not too far from downtown/midtown and you can travel to other parts of the city with relative ease --if you pick your times.

Housing will be more expensive in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody areas, FWIW.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
I would also suggest Vinings in NW Atlanta...lovely area.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would also suggest Vinings in NW Atlanta...lovely area.

Vinings is closer to the Chattahoochee River and several parks/nature centers. There is a town center--restaurants and shopping and a relatively easy commute to downtown and/or North Georgia which has some scenic parks, lakes and mountains.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 AM

Thank you all for the advice!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,406,323 times
Early retirement? Joanie 55? Question: Are you 55?
If so, check into Del Webb in Braselton or Peachtree City.
You will find in the Atanta area you will get what you pay for.
The talk is, come on down things are "cheap", well less money true but much less than where you are now may make you cringe.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 AM

I'm 54 actually, so a year off is still pretty much the same. Do you or does anyone know much about Stone Mountain? I heard it's very affordable and within 30 minutes to the city. I have heard great things about Dunwoody as well but also heard it can be expensive.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,406,323 times
Stone Mountain at one time was the jewel of the Atlanta area. Nice homes, nice sub divisions, and of course Stone Mountain Park.
Today, not so. Granted there are still nice locations, but few tucked into the Stone Mountain zip code, but for the most part it has went rather south.
My uncle lived in Stone Mountain during the 70's through late 80's and left.
All I know was when I was transfered to Atlanta, he said don't go to Stone Mountain or DeKalb for that matter unless it is in the Emory or Decatur area.

As an FYI, at 54 now you would qualify for entry to Del Webb. Now I know folks think yuck, Del with all the old people, but it is further than the truth. I know the Del Webb at Chateau Elan is really top notch, gated, secure, and down right outstanding. My wife and I have 5 years, but you can bet yer booty that if we stay in the Atlanta area (she wants to, I want out as soon as possible) that we will be heading there.

With the way this place and anywhere for that matter is changing, putting up with the crap in the neighborhoods anymore just isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta