Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
In Gwinnett:

Norcross - At Jimmy Carter to Buford Highway Exit 99
Amen to this. I used to work in Norcross and go to the hairdresser there. I remember hearing how all of the local stores had been robbed at gunpoint, during the day. Additionally the manager of an Applebees was shot when he tried to stop a robbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM

49 posts, read 175,209 times
OK, but if we could turn the story the other way round? What are the GOOD neighbourhoods there?

I am moving to ATL for 2009 (Jan-Dec) from Europe. Where I live, crime is not a problem. I've never heard about any armed robbery in my vicinity in my life. Your stories about ATL just scare me like hell. Where should I live with wife and 2 kids and be safe?
I'd rather commute longer to work (Bank of America building in city center) but keep them in good premium area.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darekk View Post
OK, but if we could turn the story the other way round? What are the GOOD neighbourhoods there?

I am moving to ATL for 2009 (Jan-Dec) from Europe. Where I live, crime is not a problem. I've never heard about any armed robbery in my vicinity in my life. Your stories about ATL just scare me like hell. Where should I live with wife and 2 kids and be safe?
I'd rather commute longer to work (Bank of America building in city center) but keep them in good premium area.
Let not your heart be troubled; there is plenty of 'good' here as well.
My advice is to start your own thread; your inquiry will get more attention that way.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
Quote:
I am moving to ATL for 2009 (Jan-Dec) from Europe. Where I live, crime is not a problem. I've never heard about any armed robbery in my vicinity in my life. Where should I live with wife and 2 kids and be safe?
Hmmmm - Portland, Maine?

Ok, kidding aside, Atlanta per capita has one of the highest crime rates in some crime categories in North America. Unlike some cities where the "bad neighborhoods" are contained to relatively small areas, our criminals typically own tricked-out SUVs, and drive here and there to commit their crimes. So you're just as likely to be the victim of a car jacking at Gwinnett Place Mall (suburban) as you are Arbor Place (ruralish suburban) or Ansley Mall (intown). You may hear of a home invasion in Grant Park and in the same newscast hear of one in Lilburn or Lawrenceville.

It simply is not contained here and happens everywhere, so there is no place in metro Atlanta where you can be assured to be "safe from crime". Sure, there are places that are safER than others (look in Alpharetta to the North, Peachtree City to the South - expect longer commutes to the BA building from these areas), but if you've never even heard of an armed robbery in your area in your life as you say above, yes, you need to be mentally psyched up for Atlanta. I live in West Cobb County, and in the last year, there have been armed robberies of two banks and a handful of businesses - and that's 25 miles outside the city.

Yeah, I know, it's a doom and gloom scenerio if you go by your description of where you're at now, but as I said, Atlanta while it has some strengths to it, and does have some nicer areas that aren't infested with crime, but isn't exactly known for being small town USA when it comes to crime either. I would just suggest maybe avoiding watching the 6 o'clock news for a while when you get here to avoid mental trauma.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 AM

gosh, you made me love my home country even more

to be honest, i've never seen a real pistol other than at belt of policeman, soldier, bank guard or at museum.

europe gotta be different than us of a.

but to cut long story short - should i do all i can to break the contract i have in atlanta, and stay home? i think not. it's not like i will be robbed everyday i commute, and everynite i fall asleep right?

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-05-2008 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Quote:
In a metro area with over 5 million people, you will have dozens of bad neighborhoods but also scores (or probably hundreds) of good ones.

Quote:
Crime is generally not a problem in the Atlanta metro either as long as you don't do anything stupid. Lock your doors (automobile and home), don't walk alone in bad areas at night, etc.

Most of the bad areas are known, and many are obvious. If you live outside of those areas and take common sense precautions, you should be just fine.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
Quote:
to be honest, i've never seen a real pistol other than at belt of policeman, soldier, bank guard or at museum.
but to cut long story short - should i do all i can to break the contract i have in atlanta, and stay home? i think not. it's not like i will be robbed everyday i commute, and everynite i fall asleep right?
Darekk,

No one can tell you if you should move here or not. Only you can decide that and if it's something that you feel is right for you to do at this stage in your life.

Also, no one can predict if or when you would be a victim of a crime. I know plenty of people who have lived in the Atlanta area for years and have never been the victim of any crime. I also know people who have been robbed, mugged, and/or burglarized numerous times since moving here. In many cases it's like gambling - it might happen to you the very moment you get here, or, never. No way to predict it.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:

If you're reversing a major life decision based on the opinions of a few people on this forum, well...that's just silly.
It is IMO a perfectly lovely place to live; I've lived in other cities on the Eastern Seaboard, and was always glad to get back to Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If you're reversing a major life decision based on the opinions of a few people on this forum, well...that's just silly.

I really don't think I would

But since my top priority is safety and security of my loved ones, I'd rather not find ourselves in the middle of shooting scene on our driveway every day.

But since that's not the case...

Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,203,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I would just suggest maybe avoiding watching the 6 o'clock news for a while when you get here to avoid mental trauma.
Not a bad idea. It took my wife weeks, having come from a small town in New England, to get used to the daily parade of evil and disaster on the evening news. It seems like it's a constant laundry list of murders, robberies, apartment fires, and trees falling on houses.

Even I was a bit taken aback after 15 years in fairly low crime New England, and I did have the realization that Atlanta of 2007 wasn't the Atlanta of 1992 that I remembered when I left. Still, even with that said, I don't feel unsafe in my day to day life. Like any area, just watch your surroundings and be "street smart".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta