Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

23 posts, read 70,549 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just moved to Alpharetta a few months ago from NYC. Can anyone suggest any good neighborhoods, affordable homes ($250k or less), with lots of shopping and restaurants. If anyone is familiar with Queens, NY then that would be what I'm looking for, but of course a lot more affordable! A "walkable" city would be ideal. Here in Alpharetta, there don't seem to be many sidewalks, and that's something I'm missing. Is Decatur "walkable" and is there nightlife and entertainment?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 AM

314 posts, read 1,278,440 times
250 is tuff in Decatur, unless you go the condo route (which I bet there are deals on!)...

Others will post on this, but Decatur is very walkable (but not nearly on the walkablity factor of Queens - way way WAY too many parking lots in Decatur ie holes in the walkability factor for Decatur) That being said, its a very quaint, very safe, and urban in the Atlanta context (not as urban in the Queens context)

I would recommend Decatur - but also check for cheaper single family housing - Kirkwood, Ormwood, East Atlanta Village, Edgewood and areas generally in that cooridor.

Great nightlife in EAV, not sure on Kirkwood, and Decatur has some great nitelife as well...little 5 points too.

Keep in mind Decatur is much more family oriented...the others may be more singles oriented...

good luck!!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
$250M pretty well shuts you out of the SFH market in the city of Decatur. There are older townhouses that you might find in that range, though.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,742,609 times
Have you checked out Historic Roswell?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,821,074 times
I doubt there was much in Queens for $250...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchik0406 View Post
Hello,

Just moved to Alpharetta a few months ago from NYC. Can anyone suggest any good neighborhoods, affordable homes ($250k or less), with lots of shopping and restaurants. If anyone is familiar with Queens, NY then that would be what I'm looking for, but of course a lot more affordable! A "walkable" city would be ideal. Here in Alpharetta, there don't seem to be many sidewalks, and that's something I'm missing. Is Decatur "walkable" and is there nightlife and entertainment?

Thanks!!
Girl...to find all that youll need to be back in NY

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 AM

481 posts, read 2,823,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchik0406 View Post
Hello,

Thanks!!
I think you're affordable image of Atlanta is a little misguided. 250k budget keeps you out of pretty much every nice area in Atlanta unless you want to settle for a very old and/or very small house, especially the walkable areas inside the perimeter. $500k would be more comfortable for what you are looking for, like I said 250k gets you nothing in the walkable in-town areas and a cookie cutter house in the nice suburbs. 250k will get you a big (not nice) house in some of the less desirable suburbs...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 70,549 times
Well, the reason I left Queens, was because it would be impossible to find anything for less than 500k. (in response to the person who said there is nothing in queens for 250k). NO kidding! And going back to NY wouldn't solve anything because it is out of my price range right now.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I went to downtown Decatur yesterday and the area is pretty much what I'm looking for. The only problem is, like some have mentioned, that it would cost more than 250 to find something nice. VA Highlands seems very nice, and fun too, but of course VERY expensive.
Thanks again!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 PM

481 posts, read 2,823,335 times
Yeah, the thing is, walkable areas like downtown Decatur and VA Highlands are rare in metro Atlanta, so the ones that do exist are expensive. About Decatur, the "real" Decatur is within the city limits, where 250k isn't really worth anything. However, probably half of Dekalb County carries a Decatur address (even though it's not within city limits) and these "fake Decatur" areas do contain cheaper housing, but at the same time it may not be what you are looking for.

However, you simply might not be able to afford what you are looking for, not in Queens or Atlanta anyway, so you might have to sacrifice something (or find a city that's more affordable).

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,729,772 times
I grew up in queens...18 years at 155th st. Have you changed your mind from SFH to condos? Townhouses near edgewood retail perhaps? You're going to have to. I picked up my house for 300 ish but you wouldn't find it much walkable to many places. I also find from friends who have paid the extra dough for walkability that they don't walk much to EAV or decatur square etc anyway. Things to think about...definitely a different place and has its own pluses and minuses. Living intown is huge for me, but for 250, if I was into condos I would go with Old 4th ward or downtown decatur. SFH in those places, as has been mentioned that isnt a serious fixer upper or REALLY small is going to be tough.

-VJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta