Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,208,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
This has been discussed for decades. George Bush was talking about global warming in the 2000 election... three years prior to the five you suggest, although he questioned it as you do... I presume you are much smarter than he is and it surprised me that anyone could not believe man made industrialization hasn't affected our climate. The smog alerts we've had this week were not caused by mother nature!!!
I don't think there is much question that humanity's activities have an impact on the environment.

Most questions revolve around how significant those impacts actually are, and that question has not been answered definitively as far as I've been able to determine. There are experts on each side of the issue with what appear (to my layman's eyes) to be legitimate points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,703,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
This has been discussed for decades. George Bush was talking about global warming in the 2000 election... three years prior to the five you suggest, although he questioned it as you do... I presume you are much smarter than he is and it surprised me that anyone could not believe man made industrialization hasn't affected our climate. The smog alerts we've had this week were not caused by mother nature!!!
OK and the 'green' freak, Nobel Peace Prize winning opponent Owl Gore was busy talking about a damn 'locked box' and not global warming. After he loses and realizes he has nothing else to do, he then decides to take up global warming.

This planet has been thru 5 ice ages. That means the earth cools and warms. We're just in another cycle.

Weather is cyclical and we've only been measuring it for 100+ years.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Gore was busy talking about a damn 'locked box' .

An excellent, common sense idea, by the way. We missed the boat on that one.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 AM

111 posts, read 533,680 times
I don't think you only have to consider the impact on the environment to be more of a conservationalist. Even if you have a HHI (household income) of $100k+, saving every penny you can only makes things better. The tips many of the people here are sharing do exactly that.

I was reading and there's "vampire power" in many electronics, especially things like washers, dryers and refrigerators. You'll probably need to keep the fridge on, but my wife and I make it a point to unplug the washer and dryer when we aren't using them. It only takes 5 seconds to plug them back in and if it keep our electric usage and bill down -- so be it.

I know it's a political year, but lets not get carried away here.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 AM

94 posts, read 393,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
OK and the 'green' freak, Nobel Peace Prize winning opponent Owl Gore was busy talking about a damn 'locked box' and not global warming. After he loses and realizes he has nothing else to do, he then decides to take up global warming.

This planet has been thru 5 ice ages. That means the earth cools and warms. We're just in another cycle.

Weather is cyclical and we've only been measuring it for 100+ years.
I was just responding to your contention that global warming wasn't talked about five years ago when, eight years ago, your hero George Bush was talking about it. And by the way... Al Gore has spoken about it and cared about it for decades.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 AM

97 posts, read 439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoufromNewYork View Post
I don't think you only have to consider the impact on the environment to be more of a conservationalist. Even if you have a HHI (household income) of $100k+, saving every penny you can only makes things better. The tips many of the people here are sharing do exactly that.

I was reading and there's "vampire power" in many electronics, especially things like washers, dryers and refrigerators. You'll probably need to keep the fridge on, but my wife and I make it a point to unplug the washer and dryer when we aren't using them. It only takes 5 seconds to plug them back in and if it keep our electric usage and bill down -- so be it.

I know it's a political year, but lets not get carried away here.
The best adage of all time: "Its not about what you make, its about what you keep."

Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM

65 posts, read 170,595 times
I ride a bicycle... everywhere. I don't own a car. I live and work in Alpharetta, so this is not too much of a problem for me. Everywhere I've wanted to go I've gone (or had the ability to go) on my Bicycle and/or MARTA.

ASO Concerts, Braves Games, Six Flags, all can be had by public transit. Atlanta definitely doesn't have public transit on par with NY/Boston/Chicago/etc., but if you live fairly close to where you work (and in a relatively safe area) I haven't found it to be a problem! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: