Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM

207 posts, read 940,031 times

Advertisements

If it looks like a duck, ....etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Your right, that would not be murder by the cops. He did die in a hopsital 2 hours later.
No, he did not die in the hospital two hours later.*

The incident took place on a Tuesday (Veterans Day). This article says he was in stable condition on Thursday night. That's 48+ hours later.

Homeless man shot by MARTA police identified | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/print/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/11/13/marta_police_shooting.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

And this one from Friday, 72+ hours later says he was recovering at Grady:

Police identify man shot by MARTA cops | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/print/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/11/14/marta_shooting.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Yeah, semantics do matter in this case.

*EDIT: Rereading the thread, I see there may be some confusion since both incidents involved knives. I'm referring to the homeless guy who stabbed, and was shot by, the Marta Cop. That was not murder. The knife fight, yeah obviously that's murder.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Did I say crimes? No. I posted the article to show how many murders were occuring in the area.

You must be living on Mars if you think those were the only two crimes commited in the area. Only high-profile crimes make the news. Usually a single 3-block area does not make the high-profile crime news more than once in a year. If there is a murder a month down there, I cant imagine how many armed robberies, assualts, batteries, or rapes are occuring.

Im sorry, but if you are so ignorant that you think an area where people are stabbed, shot, and murdered is safe, then go right ahead and put your stupidity to the test. Spend one night walking around down there. I dare you.
I have, Einstein. Any more of your adolescent dares? DARE ME! Good God, isn't there a minimum age for this forum?

Sooooo...how many crimes go unreported around Dunwoody then? You have all the inside information apparently, so tell us...

Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,214 times
This is ridiculous. Isn't Underground Atlanta suppose to be Atlanta's version of New York's Times Square? Isn't it suppose to be a central, historic location of the city? Now people want it to be torn down because of crime/incidents? How many Killing happen per year at the Peach Drop? Id really like to know because this is my first new years in the A, if I have a chance of getting murdered then......

Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
This is ridiculous. Isn't Underground Atlanta suppose to be Atlanta's version of New York's Times Square? Isn't it suppose to be a central, historic location of the city? Now people want it to be torn down because of crime/incidents? .....

I don't know what it's supposed to be, but what it IS is a retail and entertainment complex located at the hub of our transit system. For that reason alone, you'd think that the city and a group of half-competent business people could clean up the area, open some quality stores and restaurants, and make it an attraction worth visiting. Five Points is, essentally, the front door of Downtown Atlanta. The fact that it is in such a shambles is an embarassment.

I don't know if I want it torn down, but it's reputation is SO damaged there might not be any other solution that could reasonably be expected to succeed.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,214 times
ok

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Wow...in reality the area isn't THAT bad. It's not what it should be and there are problems that need to be addressed, but come on...there are much worse places that are way scarier.

I had lunch at the Hooters in Underground not too long ago (I'm not sure Hooters is still there), and the entire area was very busy and everything looked good. There is a Johnny Rockets, a Quizno's, an Irish Pub, a Waffle House, and both Jamaican and Italian restaurants...in addition to the food court. It's not fancy, but the restaurants aren't exactly no-name/2nd rate joints. There aren't really any shops that would draw me to Underground, but it looks to be mostly occupied and the retail is definitely cheap-tourist-oriented...a la Myrtle Beach or something similar. Sports/athletic shops, souvenir photgraphs, candy, face painting, jewelry, bath/skin products, urban clothing, flags, accessories, hats, games, cards, gifts, mementos, a barbershop - are some of the retail offerings. It's not first rate retail by any means, but it's not Goodwill either. There is also an ACVB office, a Segway and Trolley Tours place, an AtlanTIX outlet, and Georgia State housing (University Place) in what used to be a hotel. Underground isn't bad at all...it's just not what Atlanta residents want it to be - more classy and a little upscale. But it's a popular thing to bash Underground...and people are way too critical of the place.

I remember when there was a Mick's, a Structure, Gap, Dante's, Warner Brothers, Fat Tuesday's...that's all I can remember, but I'm sure there were other decent shops/restaurants. It's a shame those places closed. I'm not all about chains anyway - I like locally owned, unique shops and restaurants...but the ones at Underground are for tourists, which is what they should be. Who else would you find at Underground?

It looks and feels worse to Atlanta residents than to visitors.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It looks and feels worse to Atlanta residents than to visitors.
Especially to the natives alive in the 1970's, because they remember the original underground. i was not born yet, but my aunt said it was basically Atlanta's version of Bourbon street. If you can picture that and compare it to what it is now, I can see why they get so upset.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
It really isnt that bad. I go down there because they have Hot sneaker stores and if you look at it , it looks like fordham rd in the bronx minus the Gap. When im down there i see lots off tourist they dont seem to be scared. Plus everything doesnt have to be upscale.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:31 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Did I say crimes? No. I posted the article to show how many murders were occuring in the area.

You must be living on Mars if you think those were the only two crimes commited in the area. Only high-profile crimes make the news. Usually a single 3-block area does not make the high-profile crime news more than once in a year. If there is a murder a month down there, I cant imagine how many armed robberies, assualts, batteries, or rapes are occuring.

Im sorry, but if you are so ignorant that you think an area where people are stabbed, shot, and murdered is safe, then go right ahead and put your stupidity to the test. Spend one night walking around down there. I dare you.
People get killed and robbed in the suburbs In places like cobb county gwinnett county and north fulton .Most of our crimes mainly happen in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta