Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,268,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
plessthanpointohfive and rackensack -

Oh, about a couple of weeks or so ago. And thanks. May god have mercy on your souls. LOL

Now, if only I could wield this power to clean up Five Points... hmmmmm...

I dont' believe in god so you have NO POWER over me! BWAHAHAHAHA!

Except here, of course....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,839,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That was slightly before my time in Atlanta, but I do remember in 1983 standing on Pleasant Hill Rd at the 76 truck stop that stood right at the exit from I-85 and looking down what was then a 2 lane road, at the start of construction of Gwinnett Place Mall. The surrounding area was nothing but pastures and other open space. There wasn't a car dealer or other building in sight.
I remember riding with my parents up to Pleasant Hill Road Road in 1985. I was eight years old at the time. We had to meet a friend of my mom's. We decided to meet at the McDonalds on Pleasant Hill. You know, the one that had the singing Ronald McDonald in the back.

Anyway, the area at that time looked developed to me. Perhaps it was a year or so after Gwinnett Place Mall had opened and there had been much development in the area since 1983. Is this correct? However, I do recall as an adolescent, about eleven or twelve years old, riding up I-85 with my dad, and development becoming much less pronounced once you got past Jimmy Carter Boulevard. This was around 1989, I'd say. From the time I was able to drive, I've been aware of all the changes that occurred in metro Atlanta. Back in the early to mid 90s, Gwinnett south of Pleasant Hill was the place to be. That doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

I also remember that the outlet mall, now "Santa Fe" was in the area as early as 1987, perhaps earlier, as my mother entered a Craft Show set up inside the mall that year.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,215,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I remember riding with my parents up to Pleasant Hill Road Road in 1985. I was eight years old at the time. We had to meet a friend of my mom's. We decided to meet at the McDonalds on Pleasant Hill. You know, the one that had the singing Ronald McDonald in the back.

Anyway, the area at that time looked developed to me. Perhaps it was a year or so after Gwinnett Place Mall had opened and there had been much development in the area since 1983. Is this correct?
Yeah, to the best of my recollection (it's been 25 years now) before the mall there was nothing at all on Pleasant Hill but that truck stop and some typical old ranch houses. The mall opened in mid 1984, and after that, Mall Corners (with the McDonalds, Toys-R-Us, Uptons, Burger King, Post Office, Movie Theater, etc.) opened and the free for all began. By the late 80's, it looked close to what it looks like now along that stretch between Satellite and 85.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,885,937 times
OK, I'm going to date myself, but I remember as a kid going with my parents up 85 to what is now known as Jimmy Carter Blvd and seeing the big Western Electric building going up and thinking "why are they building this thing out here in the country?" Another trip out 41 just after Cumberland opened and seeing the pines being flattened and billboards anouncing the coming of the car dealerships and wondering why in the world would people drive that far out to buy a car/get a car serviced.

During my adolescent years (I grew up south of Atlanta in Hogansville) I had one brother at GA Tech, he and his wife lived in the married couples tower on fourteenth and another brother at GSU, he and his wife rented a house in Candler Park. Back then to go to the perimeter to one of the new shopping areas was like going way out, a real trip. Now it is a trip to make it to the perimeter from where most of my friends and family live.

It is amazing the changes in my lifetime. But even greater where stories my grandmother used to tell, taking the street car to the Hurt Building from her parents home in East Atlanta, off Moreland. She saw the great fire of Atlanta back in the teens from the Hurt building. She was born in 1889 in Cherokee County, moved to Atlanta when she was 13 and lived to be 101. How I wish I had recorded her stories. She went to school with the Woodruff of Coca Cola fame. Wish I could remember more!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 AM

193 posts, read 693,881 times
This thread has gone off-topic but I wanted to address the OP's concern.

It is not worth incremental improvements to the 5 points area right now, because a much larger scale plan is in the works to revitalize that and the entire area. Specifically, think parks and green space and a complete revamp of the MARTA station.

It's called the green line (yes, another knockoff imitation of other cities). Here are the details: CAP/ADID Initiatives - The Green Line. This plan was unveiled in December last year.

Including a multi-modal passenger terminal : http://www.atlantadowntown.com/Plans...signReport.pdf

Come back in another 10 years and cry with joy over the re-invented 5 points!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,923,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
It is not worth incremental improvements to the 5 points area right now, because a much larger scale plan is in the works to revitalize that and the entire area. Specifically, think parks and green space and a complete revamp of the MARTA station. It's called the green line (yes, another knockoff imitation of other cities). Here are the details: CAP/ADID Initiatives - The Green Line. This plan was unveiled in December last year.

Including a multi-modal passenger terminal : http://www.atlantadowntown.com/Plans...signReport.pdf

Come back in another 10 years and cry with joy over the re-invented 5 points!
Well, if you go to the Green Line site, it says the following: "Central Atlanta Progress in partnership with area stakeholders has developed an ambitious new vision"., and goes on to say the plans include, "recommendations"...

In other words - nope, it's not "in the works" stuff. It's just a hopeful vision by the CAP group. A good one, but still little more right now than drawings on blueprint paper. And keep in mind that their recommendations were proposed and turned into the City BEFORE it was discovered that the city lost more than $70 million dollars in their budget for one year only ($140 million projected over a two year period). That lost money was going to go toward the Peachtree trolley project, as well as possibly "visions" like this revamping of Five Points. Keyword "was" before the city forgot where that money went.

Likewise, the multi-use transit station report was a Concept design turned in to the city in 2002 (actually, before that in reality). Mayor Bill Campbell said on more than one occasion while in office that the project was going to break ground in weeks - um.. where is it? Well, he's in prison, but nothing broke ground. I don't believe Shirley Franklin has ever really seriously talked about a multi-use station at all to be honest.

Personally I'd love to see them bulldoze most of the Five Points area, rebuild it, sanitize it, and keep security guards posted every 50 feet to keep the bums out. But rememeber, I've lived here since 1984. Proposals like those above are regularly tossed around to the media, but so far, we see what's been done (or not). I'm hopeful that one day someone will get into City office who WILL do these things... I'm just not warm and fuzzy that any of it is about to take off right now, unfortunately. Unless new and nontypical leadership takes over in City Hall, most likely anyone who comes by again in 10 years will see the exact same Five Points that's there now - minus maybe Underground which will probably go under by then.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Personally I'd love to see them bulldoze most of the Five Points area, rebuild it, sanitize it, and keep security guards posted every 50 feet to keep the bums out.
I don't know if I can go along with the 'bulldoze' part of your statement...the bones are still pretty good there, and there are quite a few historic buildings in that area (Candler Bldg, C&S Building with its' gorgeous lobby, Olympia Bldg, Hurt Bldg to name a few).
The rest of your statement I wholeheartly agree with...Woodruff Park could go into the Guinness Book as the World's Largest Latrine.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,923,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't know if I can go along with the 'bulldoze' part of your statement...the bones are still pretty good there, and there are quite a few historic buildings in that area:
I was generalizing.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,525,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INGRID PURSLEY View Post
Hello. I am probably dating myself very much, but I just got back from visiting Atlanta for the first time since 1970. I grew up there, and when I left, Five Points was the CENTER of the whole region. It was great! It was clean, vibrant, and truly the place to be. And Underground had just opened up. It was also extremely safe.

Fast forward to 2008. On the way to Florida, we decided to check out my old stomping grounds. I am amazed at how terrible Five Points is. I would describe it as a step below a ghetto. It was disgusting. I broke down in tears, and I know it has been a while, but what in the heck happened to Five Points??? Maybe some fellow baby boomers who have lived in Atlanta since the time Five Points was happening, please fill me in.

I know cities change, but this has to be one of the most drastic changes I have ever seen. Please, explain.
Where do you live now?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,525,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedParrot View Post
I was down in Five Points last summer, The Vortex looked like a cool place but some people in are group were not 21 so I never got a chance to go in. The had some cool tattoo shop. I did find it funny the big sign in some store window {insert number here} have been arrested for shop lifting this week, are you next? lol. lots for tweakers and crackhead everywhere. One dude in a parking lot stopped us and was ligh "I dropped a fat sack, I will split it with you if you help me find it" we declined the offer a took off to a cheering crowed of crackheads the like the rides we were rolling in, I was with some people from a local custom car club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta