Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
But, really though, just having bus routes (for an area such as this) just isn't enough.
I agree, considering all the warm bodies they plan to draw in with these big plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
I just made a quick trip to Augusta--Greensboro, GA is the 'Mayberry' that everyone is looking for. Thinking about it--seriously considering a less hectic lifestyle somewhere.

Passed through Conyers--and Lithonia--wild drivers there--and they go very fast on I20, I didn't like that.

Will never live in/around Augusta--never say never--it does have Lake Ocoee and some good state parks--I plan to visit again but it is really 'The South'--after 4 years in Savannah--I won't even try to put myself in that position again. They don't 'Like Atlanta'--always saying--'I19 runs north, I think that is the way out of Savannah--some road will get you out and that is all I cared about. Just get me out of this place. Love the Islands and beach and ocean and River Street, all the historic sites--on my list of places to visit again and again---but I think you really have to be born there to ever really 'fit'. Fortunate to have lived on Whitemarsh/Wilmington--more like Atlanta. I taught in Port Wentworth and they were very Conservative--LOL--thought I was wildly Liberal. They were still paddling children and having them wear dunce caps when I got there--couldn't believe they weren't taken to court for that. So, I guess I was 'Wildly Liberal'. Things have changed for the better in that school system, I will say that.

LOL--one of my coworkers is now in charge of Human Resources. She will no doubt reform the system very nicely. Native Savannahian and some of the things that went on 'Nearly Killed Her'. What a character she is. Became a principal and ran her school so well that she was commended by the Legislature/Gov. Sonny Perdue--she loves 'Excellence'. Had a 4yr old at the time and told him, 'That was excellent', of course he wanted to hear that more and more.

'Children Learn What They Live'--that is what my principal at Idlewood believed and we would 'Catch kids being Good'. Handed out commendations ad infinitum--but it works. ;D

Anyway--glad to be home--traffic wasn't too bad coming back after the rush hour and it is raining. I love the rain. Good song by --Nitty Gritty Dirt Band--'Buy for me the Rain'--circa late 70's. I was living in a house on Rumson Rd/Garden Hills. One very good summer--Poets' Corner. That was our hangout in Buckhead--Bluegrass was in vogue.

TakeAhike

Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I just made a quick trip to Augusta--Greensboro, GA is the 'Mayberry' that everyone is looking for. Thinking about it--seriously considering a less hectic lifestyle somewhere.

One very good summer--Poets' Corner. That was our hangout in Buckhead--Bluegrass was in vogue.

TakeAhike
TAH, I totally agree with you re: Greensboro; charming town, as is its' sister towns on 278...Madison, Union Point, Washington and Lincolnton.
If you like the vibe there, check out Waynesboro (south of Augusta) sometime.

I hadn't thought about P.O.E.T.S. Corner in years; loved that place...a relic of my misspent youth.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
TAH, I totally agree with you re: Greensboro; charming town, as is its' sister towns on 278...Madison, Union Point, Washington and Lincolnton.
If you like the vibe there, check out Waynesboro (south of Augusta) sometime.

I hadn't thought about P.O.E.T.S. Corner in years; loved that place...a relic of my misspent youth.

I enjoyed my brief tour and the houses are incredible, I could never live there.

Now Buford, similar houses but so much more. I keep going back to Suwanee and Buford.

What on earth will it be like when they begin to seriously reconfigure traffic and redesign North Druid Hills/Briarcliff. The stuff that nightmares are made of.

My day started off poorly--an Explorer with Clayton county tags honked at me and sped around me at Clairmont and traveled at least 60 MPH all the way down to Buford Hwy. If I did that--there would be lights and sirens before you could say 'UhOh'. Why they don't use cameras, I can't understand. Well, actually I do--The $$$. Then several other cars annoyed me --and a couple on a motorcycle was out for a leisurely pleasure ride in rush hour.

I heard I20 was filled with wrecks today--glad I went yesterday.

I had one serious accident as a college student --the steering arm on the car broke--flipped over instantly. I wasn't hurt--but the other 2 girls had back injuries, one very serious back injuries--this was before seat belts.

So those that endanger my life and the lives of others earn my eternal contempt. I always hope I will see them being pulled over--never do.

I enjoy my neighborhood for the most part but I really need peace and quiet and to hear the crickets and to have someone just smile and say Hello. That doesn't happen often in Atlanta now. I still try but everyone is in such a rush and so serious. Gets on my nerves.

Every time I go north--I relax and breathe. That tells me something.

We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta