Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 AM

9 posts, read 17,198 times

Advertisements

Once again, all I asked for were opinions- seeing as though I am an Australian and know little about your country and culture. And I got your opinion about 3 posts ago.

And I'm sorry if your a bit tired of my posts, but I for one am enjoying the mixed responses and am getting a picture of what to expect. This is what i came for. You dont have to hang around.

Anyone else?

Does anyone know much about Riverdale Georgia? Thats where my partners sister lives and we are very close so ill probably spend alot of time there. Is there much to do in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM

100 posts, read 485,616 times
Hi, again, Miss. Aussie. Your best bet is a visit to Atlanta area. If you get to stay here for a few weeks, and get around a lot, you will get a better understanding.

Quote:
Does anyone know much about Riverdale Georgia?
This is in Clayton County. Visiting is fine. Some shopping, restaurants and so on. Better trendy shopping is located in Buckhead and further north.

I would not recommend living in Clayton if you plan to have children as the public schools are in very bad shape. There are separate Clayton County threads here if you want to read more about it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-we-can-t.html

Clayton County has a large minority population (primarily black) and there are plenty of mixed couples in the area with children, but if you want to live in an area with better public schools, pick another county around Clayton, maybe Fayette, or somewhere in West Georgia near Carollton. So many areas to choose from. Maybe your friends can give you more suggestions.

On a personal note: just think of it this way, you need a thick skin to deal with life. Heck, even posting on forums online. People need to toughen up. Because they think they are anonymous, they post things here they would NEVER say to someone's face. I post here as if I were talking to anyone in person, black, white, etc.

You have the added issue of being in an interracial relationship. I think you will do fine in Atlanta as you will see plenty of interracial relationships. Atlanta is a very large anonymous place to live. So many people here from everywhere and from all ethnic backgrounds. Up until the 70s, it was largely blacks or whites that lived here: now we have significant populations of Hispanics, Asians and plenty of others. Atlanta definitely got more international during the 90s when the summer Olympic Games were hosted here.

Give us an update after you decide what to do, I hope to hear good news!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missb2918 View Post
Once again, all I asked for were opinions- seeing as though I am an Australian and know little about your country and culture. And I got your opinion about 3 posts ago.

And I'm sorry if your a bit tired of my posts, but I for one am enjoying the mixed responses and am getting a picture of what to expect. This is what i came for. You dont have to hang around.

Anyone else?
Regardless of where you end up, a lot is going to depend on the specific group of people you end up living next to and hanging out with.

Even a medium-sized city like Atlanta has a relatively large and diverse metro area, and some areas can be quite different from others both in demographics and in overall attitudes.

I personally don't think you'll run into any issues at all, and you'll eventually realize that your view of America was probably not very accurate before you got here. But that isn't surprising -- some of us can't relate to the media here, anyway, with its very strong New York/LA bias. Neither of the places I've lived (Twin Cities and Atlanta) are that much like either coast, and for the most part the residents are just fine with the differences.

There isn't a really singular generic "American culture", anyway, except in a fairly superficial way -- people on the east coast of the US are generally not like people on the west coast, and neither one is much like the midwest, the southeast, or the southwest US. You find many of the same stores all over, but people here eat weird things like sweet tea and grits, and there's no lefsa or lutefisk to be found anywhere.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 PM

On another note, I spoke to my future mother in law last night who assured me I'll be fine and all I need to prepare for is some good georgia home cooking! Can't say I've ever tried grits, collared greens and cornbread so I'm looking forward to that!

Last edited by Jammie; 06-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: parts orphaned because of post deletions

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
Thumbs up Questions about a big move.

Seems to me you are getting pretty good input on this thread. My comments would be:

Atlanta is different than the rest of Georgia. This may bother you if you are sensitive as the media reflects the overall demographic. You can manage this by finding your comfort zones but you will run into other viewpoints.

I think you are correct in wondering about the issues listed (church, female reactions, etc). Nothing extraordinary, just keep talking and working out concerns.

This is a huge life changing decision. Marriage, family, culture, distance - I say don't let fear stand in the way of love and adventure. Your open and thoughtful approach will serve you well.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missb2918 View Post
Hi everyone!

New here - As the title says I am an white australian girl currently living with a black amercian in Sydney Australia. He is originally from Carollton Georgia and we have decided to move to the USA and most likely to Atlanta so we will can be close to his family but not too close!

I am a little worried about racism in this area and Carollton as well because we stand out very much as a couple as I am 5'9 and blonde and he is 6'5 and big and black! It has never been an issue here in Sydney but I dont know what to expect when I get there. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Are people going to treat me differently? Someone told me that black girls will want to hunt me down??
I am also interested in going to church there and wanted to know whether there are other white people that go or whether I'll stick out like a sore thumb!
Sorry if this sounds really stupid I have no idea except from opinions my Sydney friends have told me!

If Atlanta is not a good area for us to move, which city would you suggest for a young couple not much into clubbing or partying, looking to rent with lots of job opportunities?

Please contribute your thoughts if you have anything to say
Not to knock on Atlanta, but there are much better cities (and states) that would be better bets of being more accepting and welcoming of a black/white interracial couple. The best ones that I can think of are Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Honolulu, and San Francisco. All of which aren't completely known for their party scene (but have a lot of other social activities to compensate), and the job opportunities in those areas are fairly solid despite this economic downturn. The cost of living may be a bit pricey in these cities, but if you have a good resume (including a post-graduate education) to get a high paying job and once you live in any of these cities, you'll see that it's worth the cost.

And speaking of Australia, I always wanted to visit (and possibly one day, live) there. To the OP, you said that you in an interracial relationship w/ a black dude wasn't a problem in Sydney. But if you can, could you go into detail of how blacks are treated in Australia and in major cities in particular?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Umm, Fairfaxian, the OP is 22, her partner works at a fitness center, and their idea was to move close to his family, who are in Georgia.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM

Fairfaxian, as I said black people in Sydney are far out numbered by white people even though there are many different ethnicities here. White people could probably be out numbered by asian and indian people here theres so many!

But as far as I know and from what I've experienced, people from different cultures are not treated any differently here. The only thing I have to say about black men in Sydney is that in the club and party scene they can get quite alot of attention from the ladies! My partner originally came to Australia for basketball and he knows alot of the black men who are in the basketball scene are also into the club scene purely because of the ladies and the attention they receive. So in a way, black men are treated better than white men! lol

Australia is so beautiful you will love it here if you come! Make sure you visit during summer or spring though because it will limit your sightseeing and activities during the winter.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 AM

67 posts, read 272,751 times
Uhhhh did you really have to dig up a 3 month old thread just to post a useless generic comment that the OP who is long gone will never see?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM

28 posts, read 93,289 times
No one is going to bother you - especially if you have a big black boyfriend on your arm - tee hee hee. Many many interracial couples here. If his family is in Carrollton and you want a bit of distance but aren't interested in partying/city scene every night don't pay the price for intown living - move to Douglasville. It is between Carrollton and Atlanta. You can visit the family one weekend and Atlanta on the next. There are mixed churches in Douglasville - I see the mixed crowds in the parking lots as I pass by. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta