Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,892 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a transfer to Atlanta and I don't know where to start!
We have 2 children ages 8 & 11 who have been schooled in the British curriculum.

We are not new to moving, having lived in various Asian countries and now Dubai for several years, but having never even visited USA the thought of moving there terrifies me! What if you all hate Aussies!!!

I've done a lot of googling but I just can't figure out the optimum area to live in. I will go over for a look see soon but until then i'd like to narrow it down a bit.

So, my husband will work in Marietta. My children will need good schools, possible private, taking into account they will have to change curriculum. My oldest has mild ADHD so would need some additional learning support.
Our housing budget is $2300/month for housevrental.
Any suggestions on areas to live, keeping the commute as short as possible?

Also, our utilities budget is $300/month, will this cover the utilities? And what exactly comes into the utilities category? Electricity, gas, water, cable?

Thanks for any assistance, I do appreciate your help.
Ozzigal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 AM

387 posts, read 1,595,634 times
I love the Oz mentality. I wish I was from there

Welcome to the grand ol' USofA!

You'd probably be better off "in-town". Maybe it wouldn't be quite as big as a culture shock. Marietta is pretty... umm... ol' time Southern if you will. I mean, I think it's cute to walk around, the square has cute little shops.

The people with children on this forum could tell you much more than I can about the schools!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,432,326 times
Hate Aussies?? No....we love Aussies....they taste like chicken!

Marietta's location makes it fairly convenient to alot of different areas ranging from dense urban living to very rural areas. Do you have a preference one way or the other?

Your $2,300/month housing budget can rent you something very large, or even allow you to buy if you're so inclined. $300/month should cover electric, gas, water and sewer, but you'd have to kick in more for cable/satellite TV, internet and phone- those three alone can run you $150-200/month or so.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,892 times

Having lived in urban houses with high fences surrounding for years, and now living in the desert, seriously rural areas creep me out! I think we'll be looking for somewhere not too densely populated but not rural either. I would like to see life next door!
We will be bringing 3 dogs as well. We're currently on a 15000 sq/ft plot that so give you an idea of the space we are used to.

Thanks for the help on utilites, I'll add the extras to the budget.

We've lived outside Oz for a while now, even braved India for 3 years so hopefully culture shock won't be a major problem.

And Aussies taste like chicken? Really? I thought we'd be a bit tougher...like crocodile?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 36,719 times
Default International schools

We are also relocating to Atlanta from Asia in the summer of 2008. I am currently looking at schooling options and have found a number of schools that offer the IBO programme which seems to cross over with the British curriculum ( however my kids are in primary so it may be different at secondary level )
Website is International Baccalaureate

Best of luck with the move.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM

387 posts, read 1,595,634 times
IB = good.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,432,326 times
If you're looking for that kind of land, you're likely going to end up out in Cherokee County or parts of Cobb County, both of which would be great choices. We're up in Holly Springs in Cherokee, and there are a number of subdivisions out this way that would get you that size of lot. It's what I'd call "semi-rural"- newer subdivisions interspersed between existing farms, with a mix of older shops and homes and newer shops and amenities. The commute to Marietta would depend on where in Marietta hubby would be working, but could be as little as 30 minutes and as long as an hour, depending on what times he's commuting.

Here's the link to our subdivision, to give you an idea of the amenities.

Harmony on the Lakes: Holly Springs, Cherokee County, Georgia (broken link)

And while you're thinking Aussies would be tougher like crocodile, croc tastes like chicken, so my original comparision stands......lol.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,681,511 times
The only private IB school in ATL is the Atlanta International School which is in Buckhead. If that is the way you are leaning, you need to plan your housing accordingly and look at somewhere like Sandy Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta