Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM

34 posts, read 66,714 times

Advertisements

More developments and delays,

Quote:
On Thursday, December 9, 2010, Judge Craig L. Schwall, Sr. denied a motion filed by ICHTHUS Community Trust, Co. (Manny Fialkow) to remove Anita Beaty and The Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless, Inc. from the Peachtree-Pine Community.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

The Magnitude and Power Of TEAM GOLIATH « Dr. Jim Beaty

This guy is far beyond delusional, taking his religion WAY out of context and characterizing every "conspiring organization" as "evil". As a commenter said, he and Anita have clearly turned this place into a CULT, who's members have been brainwashed to think that CAP is "evil" for wanting this place evicted and redeveloped, despite being MILLIONS of dollars in debt for past due utilities, and facilitating the biggest progressive hindrance to SoNo since....

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM

10,742 posts, read 13,429,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imb951 View Post
The Magnitude and Power Of TEAM GOLIATH « Dr. Jim Beaty

This guy is far beyond delusional, taking his religion WAY out of context and characterizing every "conspiring organization" as "evil". As a commenter said, he and Anita have clearly turned this place into a CULT, who's members have been brainwashed to think that CAP is "evil" for wanting this place evicted and redeveloped, despite being MILLIONS of dollars in debt for past due utilities, and facilitating the biggest progressive hindrance to SoNo since....
Okay - Just read his post. I think that he has whatever Charlie Sheen has...

Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

969 posts, read 1,962,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Okay - Just read his post. I think that he has whatever Charlie Sheen has...
LOL. Didn't some developer buy this property? Can't they kick them out? All they do is give shelter to a bunch of crackheads that roam around and break into peoples cars, panhandle aggressively, and deal drugs in the middle of broad daylight.

It's such a waste of a beautiful building.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

Great news! Even though I moved out of the area last year, I still drive by here every day. Judge Schwall has FINALLY EVICTED the task force and the shelter will be VACATED in August! United Way will handle operations until they vacate completely. SoNo finally has a chance to develop into something more than a polished turd!

Sources:
Beatys, Task Force is out of Peachtree-Pine in 10 days — UPDATE | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

and

Task Force for Homeless Eviction Granted, Appeal Expected

and

Judge Orders Task Force Out of Peachtree-Pine - Midtown, GA Patch

Quote:
"I'm going to enter an order to close the shelter in 10 days," Judge Craig Schwall told a packed courtroom just minutes ago, after two hours of heated arguments by attorneys. Then he called a 20-minute recess and walked back into his chambers even as Task Force lawyer Steve Hall was still calling out his objections.

After years of legal battles and name-calling in the press between the Beatys and seemingly every other organization in town, the judge finally appears unconvinced that the Task Force really has the best interests of the homeless at heart.

"We're the ultimate backstop to saving people's lives," Hall said around the two-hour mark, when he was interrupted by the judge.

"Did you save the lives of Occupy Atlanta when you invited them in? Did you save lives when you took $50,000 salaries?" Schwall asked, referring to the Beatys' paychecks from what appears to be a nonprofit shell corporation bankrolled by the shelter's biggest financial supporter, Coke heir B. Wardlaw (an interesting personality in his own right).

UPDATE — The money quotes are coming fast and furious now that court is back in session:

Judge Schwall: "This is the most acrimonious litigation I've ever seen in my career … and it indicates to me that (the Beatys) can't get along with anybody."
Um, I think he might be on to something there.

Judge Schwall: "I'm not convinced that (the Beatys) have the best interests of the homeless in this city at heart. It's more about power, money, control, revenge and anger."
Getting warmer.

The judge is now telling the Task Force attorney that he'd like the Beatys to step aside and let the United Way run the shelter.

"Let me ask you," Schwall is saying. "If the United Way has a problem with your client, have you ever thought there might be a problem with them?"

Whoops, here's the final word from the judge: "I'm going to order the Beatys out of the property by noon, Feb. 15, and I'm ordering the shelter be closed by Aug. 31, 2012."

Last edited by imb951; 02-06-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM

402 posts, read 704,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imb951 View Post
great news! Even though i moved out of the area last year, i still drive by here every day. Judge schwall has finally evicted the task force and the shelter will be vacated in august! United way will handle operations until they vacate completely. Sono finally has a chance to develop into something more than a polished turd!

Sources:
beatys, task force is out of peachtree-pine in 10 days — update | atlanta news & opinion blog | fresh loaf | creative loafing atlanta

and

task force for homeless eviction granted, appeal expected

and

judge orders task force out of peachtree-pine - midtown, ga patch

yes!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM

126 posts, read 232,306 times
While this is good news for the neighborhood, I can't help but worry about the amount of homeless people are going to be displaced by the closing of this shelter. If they have nowhere to go, then this really doesn't solve anything, except people are now sleeping outside (or in other parts of downtown/midtown) because they can't sleep inside anymore.

The shelter's closing doesn't deal with the main problem of tackling the city's homelessness problem, and until we can deal with that, I expect development in the neighborhood to remain slow.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,896,239 times
i agree with the closing of the shelter, but not because i think the homeless should be "relocated" and all this crap i'm reading on here. the peachtree/pine shelter was corrupt— i've talked to people who have stayed there and know the people who own it. they've gotten a lot of federal and state funding and don't maintain the facility, and siphon it off to run their own private lives and businesses. there is a maximum of how many days you can stay at the shelter and there are no programs that help people transition to having a home, a job, etc. in addition, they basically let drug dealers in with the other homeless and do what they will.

the conditions there are pretty deplorable. they needed to shut it down.

what they really need to do is open a shelter that has transition programs, and that has security guards so that the drug dealers won't get in. most of the people on the streets are not there because they're criminals, or lazy; they're there because they don't know how to function anymore. many of them are veterans of the us military, who came home after years of fighting and no longer know how to function in everyday society, have tried and can't hold jobs, etc.

from everything i've read and heard, the peachtree/pine shelter wasn't working. there are hundreds of homeless laying in the eaves of buildings every night in south downtown. this is a problem we need to fix, and not by "relocating them out of the public eye". we need to help these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta